• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Marvel movies have their own thread, so I thought we'd better have a DC one as the news is hotting up in their region of the film world.

Not all good news, though, as Michelle McLaren was supposed to be directing Wonder Woman and has now left over "creative differences". Maybe she can commiserate with Edgar Wright. Apparently one sticking point was that she wanted WW to have a talking tiger sidekick, but Warner didn't think that was a grrreeeat idea and gave it frosty reception.

Full story, such as it is, here:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...quits-wonder-woman-movie-creative-differences

I saw the new Avengers thingy at the weekend, and among the seventy five trailers before the movie was the new Batman vs Superman one, which starts with a statue of Supes with 'false god' or some suchsprayed on his chest. At the end of said trailer, someone applauded. And when nobody joined in with him applauding a rubbish trailer for a rubbish looking movie, he nevertheless continued to applaud, for four or five seconds. I've never known this. Is it common? He didn't applaud the movie, which was pretty good if not up to expextations.

Sounds like the sort of person who starts clapping along at a concert then finds nobody is doing the same, bringing up the dilemma: continue clapping in the hope the crowd joins in, or admit defeat (and embarrassment)?

The only times the audience clapped when I was in a cinema were when I saw Wild at Heart and Duck Soup (separately, not as a double bill).

Funnily enough, the only time I've seen a cinema audience clap was at a late night screening of Bad Taste, it's been a while but I think it was the bit at the beginning where Derek offs the 'farmer'.

They may also have done it at the bit with the sheep.

when i was watching robin hood prince of thieves at the cinema EVERYBODY was clapping and cheering at the bit where the hanging men where rescued...if i had never watched it again i would still think fondly of that movie but sadly i bought it on tape...

Two times I remember: someone clapping when the BBFC cert of "Bladerunner - The Director's Cut" came up. Oh, yes, they were excited by a film they were about to watch - no doubt been waiting years for Ridley Scott to "fix" things - but no-one joined in, and in fact a few people laughed!

And before that, Alien3 when Ripley dives into the lava. Again, just one person hoping it would spark off the whole auditorium, but alas, the general consensus appeared to be "this film is a bit shit" and not even Ripley's exit was worth applauding.

The loudest/longest clap that I have witnessed in the cinema was back in 1997 when Star Wars were remastered - the opening sequence of 'A New Hope'. Still hair raising when I think about it.

The second one was the first appearance of Darth Vader - same night :)

The loudest/longest clap that I have witnessed in the cinema was back in 1997 when Star Wars were remastered - the opening sequence of 'A New Hope'. Still hair raising when I think about it.

The second one was the first appearance of Darth Vader - same night :)
Those things deserve the applause! :)

Great, a hipster Joker. At least Killer Croc looks imposing. They seem to be reluctant to say too much about the plot.

Is that a compliment?

Very much in the eye of the beholder. Or the ring of the beholder.

I just think casting Ryan Reynolds was the big mistake. His type of characters is not how I see Hal Jordan.

Reynolds wasn't exactly a great fit for that Blade movie, either (though he did get the most memorable line, which will go unrepeated).

Reynolds wasn't exactly a great fit for that Blade movie, either (though he did get the most memorable line, which will go unrepeated).
I think his dialogue in that film was contrived and just awful. Bad scriptwriting.

Hey, it's OK, there are jokes after all!

Not very funny jokes, but at least they're making an effort. At the end of the trailer it looks as if it's Batman and Superman: Dawn of a Beautiful Friendship.

It looks cheesy but I like cheesy, I think I'll watch this one .. Is that ginger haired lad meant to be the joker?

If only. He's yet another botched attempt at Lex Luthor.

It could be a modern equivalent of the cheesy movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space or Earth VS The Flying Saucers...

Or it could be good.

Either way, it's bound to be worth watching!

I still don't understand why Batman and Superman would fight. They want the same thing, surely?
And...really? Superman would pound Batman to dust.

They've done a few times in the comics. Though that usually involved Batman using kryptonite. They've not introduced kryptonite in Man of Steel, so not sure how they'll do it now.

At the start of this movie, Batman sees Superman as a threat after the near-destruction of Metropolis at the end of Man Of Steel.

There's a shot in the first trailer of the Wayne Enterprises building in Metropolis being flattened, and Batfleck only just making it out alive.

Daredevil should have been flattened!

Indeed. I thought we had established that Ben Affleck is best kept on the other side of the cameras.

Back