• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

Billy Dee Williams signed up for Tim Burton's Batman in '89 fully expecting to transition his role as Harvey Dent into the villainous Two-Face. He was extremely disappointed when this did not happen in the sequels (Tommy Lee Jones got the part and was severely miscast), but now I read that in the new Lego Batman Williams is voicing... Two-Face! Warms the cockles of the movie buff heart, that news.

SS was OK, but it looked like a placeholder for the proper movie that would be along later. The mission was achieved with insulting ease, so why did they need that lot of miscreants to carry it out, I wondered? They'd have saved themselves a lot of trouble by using professionals.

Wot, no love for Lego Batman? Not nearly as good as the Lego Movie, granted (but that was always going to be a hard act to follow), but way, way better than Batman vs Superman.

We haven't seen Wonder Woman yet and here she is on another adventure:

Looks like a computer game. Oddly, a lot happening without being exciting.

Hmm, Joss Whedon is making a Batgirl movie, that's the rumour. Might be interesting if they don't let Snyder near it.

Is anyone else massively underwhealmed by the Flash baddy Savitar's non-reveal?

I was hoping for a character we hadn't seen before or at least someone who would be at least surprising, esp. after the showrunners teased that there weren't real clues pointing to who it was.

Also leaves way too many loose ends with the totally non-explained philospher's stone (was it just there as a Tom Felton in joke?) or whatever changed in Flashpoint that buggered things up.

Interview with Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...lly-thought-that-only-men-loved-action-movies

...makes me cautiously optimistic over how it will turn out, she talks it up pretty well.

Better reading than this non-controversy controversy:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/27/women-only-screenings-wonder-woman

Where female only preview screenings are apparently the end of the world for some moviegoers who will presumably take to the internet within seconds of finally seeing it to tell us all it's rubbish anyway. Still, publicity, eh?

Things hotting up for Wonder Woman film. First aggrieved males tried to launch boycott because a women only showing of the movie; now we have Palestinian opposition.

Gal served in the IDF during the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 2006.

I might see the film this evening.

DBR1mz1W0AIBUYm.jpg

Still the biggest movie at the world box office right now, so much for boycotts.

Wonder Woman: A island of women, Amazons, literally out of the Greek Myths, a War of the Gods which veers away from the usual telling. Diana, Gal Gadot, is trained to be a warrior in spite of her Mother ( The Queen) having reservations. World War 1 arrives in the person of downed aviator Chris Pine. He is rescued by Diana but the Beastly Bosche are in pursuit and a battle ensues. Diana leaves the Island with Chris, who it turns out is a Yank working for British Intelligence. They will fight the forces of Evil together!

Great fight sequences, even an eventual battle between WW and an Ares who looks like a hybrid Magneto/Loki. A German scientist, Dr Isabel Moreau who carries out Menglesque experiments on prisoners and develops super weapons.

Chris has great sidekicks including Ewen Bremner as an alcoholic, shell shocked, Scottish sniper. 8/10.

Last edited:
Saw WW last night.
Whilst it's the best of the DC films so far, it wasn't without issues.
I think they could easily have trimmed the running time by 20 mins and lost very little; the final battle was by the book final superhero fight; some of the lines had the slight whiff of a good Camembert, now you could argue that it's jsut returning to it's pulp comic origins, or more likely that they really needed a good script doctor; and finally *spoiler ahoy*...

as much as I love David Thewlis, he may have worked as Sir Patrick, he didn't really bring any gravitas as Ares.

Still, best of DC so far, so hopefully they're finally getting their shizzle together to compete with Marvel.

Edited cos I can't use the spoiler function properly.

Last edited:
Watched Wonder Woman, and it was clear director Patty Jenkins wanted to retain the thrill she had when she watched the TV show as a little girl. Do you know? I've never been a little girl, but I totally got what she was doing, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The save the world with love theme was couched in the comic book pulp, but it made for a far more effective "great big fight" finale than those consequence-free Marvel punch-ups (or, er, Batman vs Superman), I really believed Diana when she disposed of irony and embraced her destiny.

After that, I go to the IMDB to see what viewers were saying, and there's about a thousand angry man-babies furious about it in one star reviews. It's not simply sexist talk, every movie nowadays gets the one star treatment from vast swathes of IMDB reviewers - how can every movie be the worst movie ever made?! Yet if you go to Amazon reviews, every movie is the best one ever made, according to most of them. Whatever happened to the happy medium? I know, Doris Stokes is dead now...

Doris Stokes isn't dead, she's just lying in wait, like King Arthur, waiting to leap out and defend us all when we really need it!

After that, I go to the IMDB to see what viewers were saying, and there's about a thousand angry man-babies furious about it in one star reviews. It's not simply sexist talk, every movie nowadays gets the one star treatment from vast swathes of IMDB reviewers - how can every movie be the worst movie ever made?!
So they close down the IMDB forums... and all the crazies move to the review section instead? :evillaugh:

So they close down the IMDB forums... and all the crazies move to the review section instead? :evillaugh:

It's looking that way! You know how everyone's entitled to their informed opinion and all that, but there's a lot who don't bother with the "informed" bit now. Perhaps 'twas ever thus. Anyway, Wonder Woman, jolly good show.

i just watched WW and call me a sexiest pig if you wish, but i thought it was pretty bad, WW cannot act, the music was terrible and the script...."its what you believe, i believe in love" "only love can save the world" pass the bucket please. Some of the dialogue was so bad i laughed out loud at it. 5/10 and that's only because the scriptwriter made me laugh (unintentionally)

i just watched WW and call me a sexiest pig if you wish, but i thought it was pretty bad, WW cannot act, the music was terrible and the script...
She's an ex-soldier. Waddya expect?

I enjoyed the movie but Diana herself seemed a bit of a blank slate.

Justice League: Nowhere near as bad as many critics have alleged. But there is a hole in this film into which much of the story has disappeared. Its original running time was 3 hours and was cut to 2 hours. Likely losing screentime for Lois Lane, Steppenwolf, Cyborg, even Superman and the plot in general.

But it is a stirring adventure infused with humour but perhaps The Flash overdoes that a bit. New villain Steppenwolf returns after millennia to once again battle the Amazons, Atlanteans and Mankind. Hes an alien which suggests that the Gods who fought him in the past are also ETs, putting an SF rather than Fantasy tinge to the affair. He comes in search of the Mother-Boxes, Extreme Energy sources

Aquaman resembles a young Billy Connolly rather the cleancut superhero I remember from the comics of my youth but he is effective against Steppenwolf's flying Bugmen, Zombiesque creatures. As is Cyborg who also provides technical support in the hacking of the Mother-Boxes.

An OK, enjoyable film which could have been so much better. 6.5/10

Last edited:
I think this belongs here because its a biopic of the the creator of Wonder Woman.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman: William Marston didn't just create Wonder Woman, he was a radical psychologist and sexologist who also invented the lie-detector. Typically he failed to patent the machine and others became rich from the device.

The film opens with Marston facing an inquisition from those who wish to censor comic books. This tribunal is used as a device to frame the rest of the story which is related in flashbacks. Marston and his wife who Elizabeth teach at Harvard and Radcliffe recruit a new teaching assistant, Olive Byrne. Eventually a ménage á trois develops, scandal occurs and all three are dismissed.

Interestingly both Olive and Elizabeth play crucial roles in the development of the lie-detector, with Olive even admitting that she loved both William and Elizabeth while being tested. Marston based Wonder Woman on Olive after discovering her interest in bondage. The comic's mixture of superhero action, bondage and spanking soon roused the wrath of censors. Rather than give in, Marston increased the amount of outré material in each new Wonder Woman adventure.

Eventually the fight took a toll on his health and he died in 1947 but Olive and elizabeth lived together until Olive's death in 1990 aged 86, Elizabeth died in 2003, aged 100. Their unconventional life had its hiccups prior to William's death with Olive leaving due to public pressure on their children.

After Marston's death the Wonder Woman comic strip was censored but eventually returned to its former glory in recent years after Gloria Steinem hailed Wonder Woman as a Feminist Icon and put her on the cover of Ms magazine.

A moving film, beautifully filmed in shades of brown, red, umber, rust and gold. with Olives strawberry blond hair offset by shades of green. 9/10

Apparently the Marston family have been complaining about the film's lack of accuracy, which is a pity. Doesn't make its themes any less valid, of course.

I watched Justice League yesterday and must say it was rather meh. The villain was very generic and there was nothing about the fightscenes or dialogue which made you pay notice.

Back