• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

If you want a quick fix of DC superhero action, try Teen Titans Go! To the Movies. Loads of superheroes packed in (so economical), funnier than Deadpool, and with a classic last line that had me laughing for about five minutes.

Clerks director Kevin Smith waxing about every screen version of Spiderman .. although I'd just as happily listen to Smith talking about all of his favourite types of cheese or socks to be honest ..

Clerks director Kevin Smith waxing about every screen version of Spiderman .. although I'd just as happily listen to Smith talking about all of his favourite types of cheese or socks to be honest ..

facepalm-spiderman.png

wonder-woman-facepalm-157568.jpg

tenor.gif

Aquaman: The Aquaman I knew and loved when I was a comic reading kid had short hair, was clean shaven and wore spandex. Now we have a hydro-hippie who looks like a young, well fed, Willie nelson. This is a good film but is overlong and contains some terrible dialogue. The general acting and effects make up for this though.

The wonderful undersea city of Atlantis could be a submerged L.A. from Blade Runner as mini-subs ape the actions of flying-cars. There are Merpeople, Lobster lads and lassies, even creatures from the Trench who resemble Giger's Alien. These are regressed tribes of Atlantis who exist alongside the Human tribes. We see the fall of Atlantis in thew distant past when man's hubris brought about it's destruction. Striking back at te surface-dwellers the Atlanteans send tsunamis crashing ashore, wrecking naval ships and returning decades of pollution to the land.

Aquaman wants to prevent war between the occupants of the land and the denizens of the depth, but to do this the half-blood prince will have to claim the throne of Atlantis. Meanwhile he's managed to annoy a pirate who pursues a blood vendetta against him. All good fun if a tad drawn out. 7/10.

This coming Cheap Chocolate Day there will be the premiere of a Doom Patrol series. They already appeared in an episode of Titans. For some reason Cyborg is also in it.

Idris will make a good Deadshot.

Idris Elba to Replace Will Smith in The Suicide Squad!

Just a week ago it was reported that Will Smith would not reprise his role as Deadshot in Warner Bros. and DC Films’ The Suicide Squad. Now The Hollywood Reporter brings word that director James Gunn and the studio have selected Idris Elba (Pacific Rim, Star Trek Beyond) to replace Smith as the expert assassin! The actor, who has appeared in comic book movies like The Losers and as Heimdall in the Thor and Avengers films, was apparently the studio’s one and only choice.

Smith’s departure was amicable, and it ultimately came down to his busy schedule. While earlier this year a report suggested Margot Robbie will skip this sequel as well, the new report says that Harley Quinn will appear, though it’s less clear if Joel Kinnaman’s Rick Flagg will return.

Former Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn will write and direct The Suicide Squad, which will act as a soft reboot for the franchise. Deadshot is one of the key characters on the comic book team. However, Deadshot made his debut as a Batman villain before joining the Suicide Squad. He was also featured in The Secret Six, and headlined a few solo adventures.

Warner Bros. has scheduled The Suicide Squad for August 6, 2021.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1047377-idris-elba-to-replace-will-smith-in-the-suicide-squad

Read more at https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/features/1022609-runaways-season-2-episode-9-recap#bj2XiRlORArY21tq.99

Must admit I was sceptical about yet another Joker, but this is a surprisingly great trailer:

OK, maybe the film won't live up to it, but this certainly has my interest.

Must admit I was sceptical about yet another Joker, but this is a surprisingly great trailer:

OK, maybe the film won't live up to it, but this certainly has my interest.

I thought the trailer in and of itself isn't great but it's interesting that this aesthetic is being applied to what is essentially a "super hero/villain" film. Am more interested in this and Shazam than I am in the bland uniform competency that Marvel churn out three times(!) a year, that's a low bar though.

I am v. keen on seeing Joker after the trailer. The King of Comedy connection, the cliche but often true darkness in comedy and comedians, the thin lines between sorrow, comedy, horror, and insanity; the travelling between those states. I'm projecting my own interest in comedy, mental ill-health, and crime, but this film could be something that I fall in love with. But then it's the DC universe and they sometimes do make giant turds out of great ideas. And sometimes they don't. Having Joaquin Phoenix, staying with the colour palette of Christopher Nolan's trilogy, and embracing Martin Scorsese embeds the idea that something dark this way comes...it all promises something to me. I won't hold my breath but I also won't ignore this film.

Scorsese's on board as a producer, maybe he provided creative guidance too?

Scorsese's on board as a producer, maybe he provided creative guidance too?

It looks like they're aping him in this trailer to me, it's probably why he was brought on board, also to lend this some "cred". My prediction: it will be an OK(ish) drama with some shitty DC nonsense thrown in, apparently the Waynes are in this. including a young Bruce... they just can't help themselves.

There is also a show coming out about Alfred Pennyworth, Batman's butler.

Robert Pattinson's a very good actor, and has proven himself time and time again. But you play one sparkly vampire...

There is also a show coming out about Alfred Pennyworth, Batman's butler.
From the producers of Gotham, so does it count as a spin off?

But... he sounds more like Michael Caine, so a Nolan prequel?

From Warner Horizon Scripted Television, DC origin story Pennyworth is a ten-episode, one-hour drama series based on DC characters created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger. It follows Bruce Wayne’s legendary butler, Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon), a former British SAS soldier who forms a security company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne (Ben Aldridge), Bruce’s billionaire father, in 1960’s London.

Anyone seen/going to see Joker, then? Did it make you want to kill people? More importantly, will Martin Scorsese see it? It's a tribute to him in his least favourite current genre, according to latest internet outrage.

Back