• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 this morning. A little sappy and predictable in places, and perhaps a bit messy at the end, nonetheless it was executed with all the heart and humour of the first. If it doesn't feel as fresh as the first (in my opinion, more deeply flawed) movie, and how could it, it looked great and I found these characters even more fun to spend the time with now that they're more familiar. I enjoyed it immensely, and can't wait to see it on blu-ray.

During the opening titles sequence with "Mr. Blue Sky" playing I suddenly realised I was grinning from ear to ear - and couldn't stop! Best almost-opening sequence to a movie I think I've ever seen!

Coolest character? Definitely Groot.

Coolest character? Definitely Groot.
Groot was great! Drax actually had some much better input after being a less than memorable character in the first outing, I thought. But Rocket is probably still my favourite character.

Just been to see it now, loved it, they've really nailed the 70s comic vibe, looks straight off the page, quite stream of consciousness in the most pleasant kind of way, lots of fun.

Most hilarius bits had to be with
taserface
. :rofl:

I think Thor Ragnarok may be buggered for me now, they showed the trailer for it and I couldn't not see the characters as Corbyn and May. :eek:

Groot was great! Drax actually had some much better input after being a less than memorable character in the first outing, I thought. But Rocket is probably still my favourite character.

Rocket was even more endearing this time out. My favourite part of GOTGV2 was the opening sequence where they battle a Cthuhluesque energy devouring creature from another dimension. A bit overlong, dragged at times. Might have been a better film if it had lost 20 minutes. Kurt Russell was great as Quill's Starman father with Sylvester stallone in a cameo as a Ravager Captain which may presage a more prominent role in the next GOTG. 7/10.

Rocket was even more endearing this time out. My favourite part of GOTGV2 was the opening sequence where they battle a Cthuhluesque energy devouring creature from another dimension. A bit overlong, dragged at times. Might have been a better film if it had lost 20 minutes. Kurt Russell was great as Quill's Starman father with Sylvester stallone in a cameo as a Ravager Captain which may presage a more prominent role in the next GOTG. 7/10.
I'm sure there should be a spoiler tag in there somewhere. ;)

I agree the movie has a fair bit of unnecessary stuffing, which ruins the pacing a bit I think. But when it's fast and fun, it's very fun!

I enjoyed it, but some of the jokes were a little over-long. The bomb routing ("Anyone got any tape?") works better in the trailer, where it's cut down, but drags on a bit long in the actual film. And there are a couple of other problems like that.

Also, the kitsch and nostalgia last time was fresh, and this time I think they might have overdone it. The soundtrack is still one of the best parts, but some of the referencing (like the closing credits) was pushing it a bit far.

But overall, fun. I think I still prefer the first one, but it's not a bad sequel.

I actually really liked the looking for tape routine. I think they timed that perfectly for comic purposes.

Star-Lord May Survive Getting 'Spaced,' But You Wouldn't
By Sarah Lewin, Staff Writer | May 12, 2017 07:00am ET

In Marvel's first "Guardians of the Galaxy" film (2014), Chris Pratt's Star-Lord character manages to survive exposure to space without a spacesuit. But he's a special case — and in the second film, out last week (May 5), other characters don't fare nearly as well.

Science fiction is full of characters being "spaced," or jettisoned out of a spaceship without any protection and with little hope of rescue. But what would actually happen if a human ended up in space without a suit?

"If someone were in the vacuum of space without a spacesuit, they would become unconscious very quickly — the main reason would be lack of oxygen," said Jay Buckey, a former NASA astronaut and researcher at Dartmouth's school of medicine in New Hampshire. [The 20 Weirdest Aliens in the Marvel Universe]

"It's also true that due to the low pressure outside of the body … bubbles would form throughout the bloodstream and in tissues, but the most immediate problem would be lack of oxygen and unconsciousness," he told Space.com in an email. Buckey is the author of "Space Physiology" (Oxford University Press, 2006), which discusses how to keep humans healthy while on space missions. ...

http://www.space.com/36810-guardian..._medium=social&utm_campaign=2016twitterdlvrit

I read an Arthur C Clarke story about people who have to transfer from one spaceship to another with no spacesuits.
This describes how it could be done. It would have to be done in a few seconds, otherwise all the bad stuff would happen.
It also describes minor blood vessel ruptures...

Edit: I think it was 'Take a Deep Breath' from 'The Other Side of the Sky' (which is an excellent collection of Clarke's short stories).

Last edited:
I read an Arthur C Clarke story about people who have to transfer from one spaceship to another with no spacesuits.
This describes how it could be done. It would have to be done in a few seconds, otherwise all the bad stuff would happen.
It also describes minor blood vessel ruptures...

Edit: I think it was 'Take a Deep Breath' from 'The Other Side of the Sky' (which is an excellent collection of Clarke's short stories).

I first read that when I was 12 - 13.

Following the announcement that Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor-Joy had officially been cast as Wolfsbane and Magik in Fox’s X-Men spin-off The New Mutants, Josh Boone has been dropping some teasers about what the audience can expect, and it sounds as though we’ll be seeing something different with this X-movie.

“We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe,” he told EW. “There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

Boom.

Boone, who is best known for directing The Fault In Our Stars as well as being attached to a bunch of more overtly horror projects (Stephen King’s The Stand and Revival, as well as trying to develop Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles into a film before it changed direction and headed for TV), stressed that he was a lifelong fan of the X-Men comics and would be faithful to these characters, but he also praised Fox for being open to trying different things with the X-Men movies and TV series. ...

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/x-men-spin-off-the-new-mutants-is-a-horror-film-says-josh-boone/

Following the announcement that Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor-Joy had officially been cast as Wolfsbane and Magik in Fox’s X-Men spin-off The New Mutants, Josh Boone has been dropping some teasers about what the audience can expect, and it sounds as though we’ll be seeing something different with this X-movie.

“We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe,” he told EW. “There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different.”

If it gets an 18 certificate in Britain or an X in America then yes, this will be a "full-fledged" horror movie but I'm not holding my breath that this is going to happen with a platinum guaranteed money making teenager attending audience franchise, more likely we'll see those PG 13 or 15 certificates ..

If it gets an 18 certificate in Britain or an X in America then yes, this will be a "full-fledged" horror movie but I'm not holding my breath that this is going to happen with a platinum guaranteed money making teenager attending audience franchise, more likely we'll see those PG 13 or 15 certificates ..

Sadly I fear you're right about this.

Deadpool has been a game changer in terms of being a successful 'R' rated movie though... they may well be trying to jump on that particular bandwagon.

Interesting, might be something different for the superhero genre, it would be nice to see it branching out into different directions instead of the same old thing over and over. Cautiously optimistic.

Did you watch Ant-Man? They went in a bit of a heist movie direction with that.

Did you watch Ant-Man? They went in a bit of a heist movie direction with that.

Yeah, it was fine but I would have loved to see what the original Edgar Wright version was like. We only have a vague idea from what we did get. If only it had been made a couple of years later Marvel might have been happier to take more chances, after Logan and Deadpool. A real missed opportunity.

Spiderman: Homecoming brings home the bacon. Michael Keating is great as The Vulture with his alientech wings. Tom Holland really looks and acts like a 15 year old but fights better when he gets his spidey suit from Tony Stark. Maybe just a little too long. 7.5/10.

Finally finished Daredevil season 1! It took me ages because I found it kind of boring, I was making myself watch it after about three episodes. It only picked up and realised its potential in the last half hour of the last episode when DD put on the costume and stopped moping. Season 2 is available - is it any better? I know The Punisher is in it, which could make it more interesting.

Spiderman: Homecoming brings home the bacon. Michael Keating is great as The Vulture with his alientech wings. Tom Holland really looks and acts like a 15 year old but fights better when he gets his spidey suit from Tony Stark. Maybe just a little too long. 7.5/10.
It was great fun! I'd forgotten how menacing Keaton was capable of being, but he also pulled off the likeable working class everyman at the same time. In Holland I feel we finally have the right actor for the role of Parker. What the movie achieves which I didn't expect is to be a more intimate look at a superhero in the sprawling MCU, while still progressing the narrative of the overall MCU by quite a bit.

Finally finished Daredevil season 1! It took me ages because I found it kind of boring, I was making myself watch it after about three episodes. It only picked up and realised its potential in the last half hour of the last episode when DD put on the costume and stopped moping. Season 2 is available - is it any better? I know The Punisher is in it, which could make it more interesting.
I found both seasons gripping! Perhaps a bit more happens mid-season 2 than in mid-season 1. There's still quite a bit of filler, though, and the end of season 2 is perhaps less satisfying.

Back