Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

titch

Justified & Ancient
Captain marvel. I fell asleep at one point and missed a major plot twist. I didn't care. It was good too see the latest Spider-Man movie get a good review in the magazine ,because the last two marvel movies I have seen have been poo.

Shadowsot

Ephemeral Spectre
"Morbius the Living Vampire" (no, I'm not sure what that means) is an old Marvel property. He pops up from time to time. Maybe the rights were tied up with Blade.
*sighs and positions nerd cap*
Morbius was doing Science! When his experiments went wrong. He ended up with similar traits to a normal vampire, however whereas your normal vampire is undead, he's still living.
He is susceptible to sunlight, but not other stuff.
One storyline also featured a version of him that was turned into a zombie, where he proudly declared himself as a Vampire Zombie, or Vambie! He was promptly killed by the original, out of embaressment.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Captain marvel. I fell asleep at one point and missed a major plot twist. I didn't care. It was good too see the latest Spider-Man movie get a good review in the magazine ,because the last two marvel movies I have seen have been poo.
I liked Wonder Woman better, but Captain Marvel was OK by me, I liked that she wasn't yet another brooding superhero struggling with the burden of being fabulous. Plus Brie Larson gives a mean side-eye.

The Marvel movies in general and Captain Marvel in particular are LAYERED with hidden weirdness, waiting to be unlocked.

Whenever you see the Department of Defense Entertainment Liaison in a film's credits, it's a pretty good bet they signed on because they (or more likely, another Agency) wanted to stick something 'interesting' in there.

I'm a comics history nerd and have been studying how DoD and CIA have interfaced with my industry for a couple years now, and the Captain Marvel film is a gem of an example of the kind of thing they do, and how much work they put into it.

You might know that Carol Danvers was the star of a title called Ms Marvel in the 1970s. In Ms Marvel #1, there is a letter from a woman who says she works at NASA and is a comics fan. When this was brought to my attention, I thought maybe I'd try to track her down and interview her about the character for the entertainment news website I help run -- sounded like a cool story. I didn't end up getting around to it in the time frame I wanted, but I banked my research on it and thought I might circle back someday.

This woman did work at NASA and as far as I can tell, has had a very successful career in her field in the years since. Thing is, she worked in a special part of NASA -- Langley Research Center, which is where they test CIA spy planes.

When I saw the film, a bunch of things clicked: the hangar shown where Carol is a pilot appears to be the Langley Research Center hangar. The aircraft she's flying looks like a successor to the infamous SR-71 Blackbird spy plane (aka, the X-Men plane). The original version of the Blackbird, the A-12, first flew in test flights waaaayyyy back in 1962, at Area 51 -- which of course might explain some things. the Blackbird itself has been in service since 1964 (and was apparently retired around 1990).

Rumors and supposed designs of the Blackbird's successor have periodically surfaced since the mid/late 1980s -- which tracks with the time frame of the film's setting, interestingly enough -- and periodically surface again every few years. In reality, we don't know exactly what they've been doing with it. Accepted wisdom says that satellites and drones have fullfilled much of the role that original spy planes were designed to do, but... by amazing coincidence? News of a Blackbird successor model has been out there again over the past few months.

Anyway... with a few exceptions, the Marvel movies contain awesome levels of hidden weirdness. I CANNOT WAIT for Black Widow to come out.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
She'd eat you like a soft cheese. First peel away the skin and then feast on your warm, gooey center.

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
The Marvel movies in general and Captain Marvel in particular are LAYERED with hidden weirdness, waiting to be unlocked.

Whenever you see the Department of Defense Entertainment Liaison in a film's credits, it's a pretty good bet they signed on because they (or more likely, another Agency) wanted to stick something 'interesting' in there.

I'm a comics history nerd and have been studying how DoD and CIA have interfaced with my industry for a couple years now, and the Captain Marvel film is a gem of an example of the kind of thing they do, and how much work they put into it.

You might know that Carol Danvers was the star of a title called Ms Marvel in the 1970s. In Ms Marvel #1, there is a letter from a woman who says she works at NASA and is a comics fan. When this was brought to my attention, I thought maybe I'd try to track her down and interview her about the character for the entertainment news website I help run -- sounded like a cool story. I didn't end up getting around to it in the time frame I wanted, but I banked my research on it and thought I might circle back someday.

This woman did work at NASA and as far as I can tell, has had a very successful career in her field in the years since. Thing is, she worked in a special part of NASA -- Langley Research Center, which is where they test CIA spy planes.

When I saw the film, a bunch of things clicked: the hangar shown where Carol is a pilot appears to be the Langley Research Center hangar. The aircraft she's flying looks like a successor to the infamous SR-71 Blackbird spy plane (aka, the X-Men plane). The original version of the Blackbird, the A-12, first flew in test flights waaaayyyy back in 1962, at Area 51 -- which of course might explain some things. the Blackbird itself has been in service since 1964 (and was apparently retired around 1990).

Rumors and supposed designs of the Blackbird's successor have periodically surfaced since the mid/late 1980s -- which tracks with the time frame of the film's setting, interestingly enough -- and periodically surface again every few years. In reality, we don't know exactly what they've been doing with it. Accepted wisdom says that satellites and drones have fullfilled much of the role that original spy planes were designed to do, but... by amazing coincidence? News of a Blackbird successor model has been out there again over the past few months.

Anyway... with a few exceptions, the Marvel movies contain awesome levels of hidden weirdness. I CANNOT WAIT for Black Widow to come out.
So, how many of the extras are aliens from Area 51?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone else get to the end of Legion, then? I did feel that if they ditched the weirdness it would have a pretty conventional superhero plot, but I really liked that weirdness. Glad they didn't let David off the hook for the rape, that was a very grim plotline, but the "at peace" conclusion was quite fitting. Hope Amber Midthunder gets more work, I just like seeing her name. But yeah, nice to see Marvel could be adventurous and take chances, it is a fairly conservative outfit, story-wise.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Good news, Spidey fans, Marvel and Sony have come to an arrangement to continue the Tom Holland films, just in time for the latest one to be released on home entertainment. What a remarkable coincidence, but I'm glad it'll make the diehard fans happy, anyway. Oh, wait, nothing makes diehard fans happy.