• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Liked Hawkeye better this week, they committed to the arrow-shooting action scene halfway through and it wasn't bad at all. Is he a deaf superhero to complement Daredevil's blindness? Maybe they could team up?

I don't know if the surprise Hawkeye cameo this week was much of a surprise when it's someone from a recent Marvel movie. If the assassin had turned out to be Mr Tumble or someone else incongruous THEN I'd have been surprised.

They ended this week's with exactly the same trick as last week's, reintroducing a character from another film/TV show. Unfortunately he's one from the Netflix Marvel shows, which were incredibly boring. Also, Florence Pugh's "Russian" accent is like something out of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I was happy to watch Hawkeye after a fine trailer a few weeks ago, but only one episode has lived up to its potential so far (fight on bridge). The rest is so bogged down in continuity it's got very sluggish very quickly.

Spider-Man: No Way Home makes a gargantuan $587 million at the global box office in one week:
News story

Guess those cultural commentators saying Marvel were having a bad year get to eat humble pie for Christmas. I know it's basically all that's showing in most cinemas, but nobody's forcing the world to show up for it.

Spider-Man: No Way Home makes a gargantuan $587 million at the global box office in one week:
News story

Guess those cultural commentators saying Marvel were having a bad year get to eat humble pie for Christmas. I know it's basically all that's showing in most cinemas, but nobody's forcing the world to show up for it.

I enjoyed No Way Home, saw it on Saturday, seven of us, we all liked it. Sort of a live action version of Spiderverse. Review to follow.

So that was Hawkeye, and what have you done? It never found its groove, the last episode was amusing but the handwavy way they explained the morality of the good guys murdering people being fine was very off. Nice performances, Tony Dalton needs to be in more things, what a charismatic man (back in Better Call Saul next year?). Kingpin's inclusion was pretty pointless, though.

It also featured a character called Kazi. He wasn't flushed with success, in fact he went down the pan.

Just watched blackwidow, started strongly then fell off badly in the middle, probably the best Marvel since infinity war, but I am losing interest quickly.

I liked 'No Way Home' but perhaps controversially I don't think it was as good as what it has been hyped up to be. If I'm honest I probably prefer the other two Tom Holland films, although I think Tobey Maguire is my favourite spiderman (despite that shambolic third film).

Marvel and Sony having a hard time releasing their darkest character movie called Morbius.

The movie was to be released in 2020, but now maybe not until spring 2022.

I personally am not familiar with Morbius.

Last edited:
Eternals is now on Disney+. So, I watched it. Meh... It's not exactly bad, it's just not really very good. It needed better pacing. I felt I was binge-watching a Netflix show.

I watched Eternals too! It was dreadful, dull as ditchwater. What were Marvel thinking? Who gives a shit about these characters? They didn't catch on in the 1970s, and they haven't caught on now. Worst bits were the constant Von Daniken cheerleading (also very 70s). Spider-Man has to be better than this yawnfest.

The new Moon Knight trailer:

On Disney+ on March 30th, where we can all "marvel" at Oscar Isaac's stunning Joe Pasquale impersonation. What the hell?!

More on the ridiculous accent controversy:
News story

Well, we could do with a laugh.

I watched Eternals too! It was dreadful, dull as ditchwater.
I watched about 20 minutes of it before I fell asleep. I just remember some tacked-on romance sub-plot that seemed to ruin it for me.

I don’t have Disney+ so I’ve missed a large part of Marvel’s recent output. I also haven’t set foot in a cinema for 3 years so I’ve also missed the movies. As there’s usually references and crossplots in these things, I think I’m too far behind Marvel’s story arc now and can’t be bothered to catch up.

I never read Eternals and found the Moon Knight character poorly designed (capes) so never got past looking at the cover. Black Widow and Scarlet Witch were always ‘supporting cast’ so not a great draw for me.
One of the joys of comics is savouring the styles of the different artists and if you’re a comic fan, you’ll definitely have a few favourites. The issue with the movies is they all use green screen and the same software for effects so everything looks the same. It’s just the same ponderous dialogue from the villains and wisecracks from the hero and it’s all interchangeable.

I’m the same with Star Wars. Never saw the last movie or any of the following TV shows desperately milking the franchise. Boba Fett looks a lot like a Mitchell Brother from Eastenders if you ask me.

Last edited:
I think Marvel and Star Wars are made strictly for the fans now. Lucky for Disney, they have millions and millions of fans.

On a slight tangent:

Black Panther Ryan Coogler director mistaken for bank robber​

News story

I tell you, Black Panther 2 is a cursed film... How many mishaps has it suffered since (and including) Chadwick Boseman's death?

On a slight tangent:

News story

I tell you, Black Panther 2 is a cursed film... How many mishaps has it suffered since (and including) Chadwick Boseman's death?
Poor guy! I guess that bank has now lost his business.

On a slight tangent:

News story

If only all MCU films/series could get shafted like this.

etu Charles Fort Institute?

smdh (searches board for Ghostbuster girl reboot comments before investing more energy here)

But you wouldn't want anyone else to die, would you?!

I was just referring to directors getting arrested but now you mention it, excellent idea! If fate/(not)Thanos bumped off all the actors in the ever growing MCU it would do wonders for overpopulation.

etu Charles Fort Institute?

smdh (searches board for Ghostbuster girl reboot comments before investing more energy here)

Do you think we are those manbabies who cry about women/LGBTQ people/ethnic minorities in their pathetic franchises?

Let me tell you, I am far superior class of manbaby than that.

I am indifferent to Ghostbusters 2016 it's no worse, or better than Ghostbusters II. Neither should exist, nor should Ghostbusters: Afterbirth. But Hollywood likes $$$$$$$$$, so it goes.

I am indifferent to Ghostbusters 2016 it's no worse, or better than Ghostbusters II. Neither should exist, nor should Ghostbusters: Afterbirth. But Hollywood likes $$$$$$$$$, so it goes.
Ghostbusters: Afterbirth :hahazebs: jeanyus level snark

Ugh so true about Hollywood and $. Not to veer off topic but I find great films new & old via Movies That Made Me podcast hosted by Joe Dante, Gremlins director. Finding media recs is not easy, finding ones that arent pr
super hard.

Ghostbusters: Afterbirth :hahazebs: jeanyus level snark

Ugh so true about Hollywood and $. Not to veer off topic but I find great films new & old via Movies That Made Me podcast hosted by Joe Dante, Gremlins director. Finding media recs is not easy, finding ones that arent pr
super hard.

We have a Trailers from Hell thread! See here:
Link

I was beginning to think I was the only person here who listened to the podcast!

Moon Knight: bit of a nerd wish-fulfilment tale where the weakling is secretly an ultra-violent badass who can handle any villains easily, but you could say that about a lot of comic book stuff. It was amusing to a point, but I had a nagging feeling it was a "mental illness can be fun" thing (it really can't) which makes me wary. I probably should just remember it's a fantasy.

Moon Knight: bit of a nerd wish-fulfilment tale where the weakling is secretly an ultra-violent badass who can handle any villains easily, but you could say that about a lot of comic book stuff. It was amusing to a point, but I had a nagging feeling it was a "mental illness can be fun" thing (it really can't) which makes me wary. I probably should just remember it's a fantasy.

I don't know, The Joker seems inordinately happy.

Back