• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Apparently, viewership of Ms Marvel is lower than any other Marvel Disney+ show. I think people are missing a treat, personally. I really didn't expect to like it much but, in spite of its formulaic story, it has a refreshing, fun style, and the whole thing is elevated by the lead actress who pops with charisma.

Ms Marvel has some things that are interesting visually but otherwise it just feels like a regular teen show. Which is fine in itself, but I won't be the one watching it.

Thor: Love and Thunder: Another fun epic with some dark bits, but Thor (Chris Helmsworth) is so vain and conceited you'll always laugh. We even get an Assembly of the Gods (a bit like the SW Galactic Senate) in Omnipotence City where Zeus (Russell Crowe) rules the roost, The dark stuff come from Gor (Christian Bale) The God Butcher who is determined to off as many Gods as possible, he has some justification though. Also on the gloomy side is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), she has terminal cancer but then is attracted by Mjolni which reconstructs itself and transforms her into a female Mighty Thor. We also get the Guardians of the Galaxy who help Thor (Helmswoth) deal with some fall out from Gor's activities. Great battles and skirmishes, Thor even gets a pair of giant goats to help him along with Korg (Taika Waititi) as his sidekick. A wonderfully imagined New Asgard on Earth (which has become a visitor attraction) comes under attack from Gor and his Shadow Realm monsters. This film is a fun epic adventure and doesn't over stay it's welcome with a 119 minute running time. Directed by Taika Waititi, who co-wrote the script with Jennifer Kaytin Robinson. 8/10

In cinemas.

Thor: Love and Thunder: Another fun epic with some dark bits, but Thor (Chris Helmsworth) is so vain and conceited you'll always laugh. We even get an Assembly of the Gods (a bit like the SW Galactic Senate) in Omnipotence City where Zeus (Russell Crowe) rules the roost, The dark stuff come from Gor (Christian Bale) The God Butcher who is determined to off as many Gods as possible, he has some justification though. Also on the gloomy side is Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), she has terminal cancer but then is attracted by Mjolni which reconstructs itself and transforms her into a female Mighty Thor. We also get the Guardians of the Galaxy who help Thor (Helmswoth) deal with some fall out from Gor's activities. Great battles and skirmishes, Thor even gets a pair of giant goats to help him along with Korg (Taika Waititi) as his sidekick. A wonderfully imagined New Asgard on Earth (which has become a visitor attraction) comes under attack from Gor and his Shadow Realm monsters. This film is a fun epic adventure and doesn't over stay it's welcome with a 119 minute running time. Directed by Taika Waititi, who co-wrote the script with Jennifer Kaytin Robinson. 8/10

In cinemas.
Have you got any idea why the critics have turned a little against this installment? The fans seem to be loving it.

Watching the trailer there for 'Secret Invasion'....I can't help but think that (as with a lot of 'trailers') they have edited together the few moments in the whole series which they have actually spent some money on, and overlaid some dramatic music, but watching the whole series will likely be a disappointingly long, drawn out, sequence of boring scenes, with plot holes and over-complicated storylines, with multiple characters involved whose involvement goes unexplained.

I watched it at the weekend and... I didn't hate it.

Don't get me wrong, "good" would be a very strong word to use; there are plot-holes aplenty, and it has the least charismatic lead of any superhero film I can remember, but still, I had some fun with it.
Or, should I say Matt Smith had some fun with it...

I'll put it this way, comparing it to non-MCU superhero films (which are on another level, in terms of story-telling and artistry), for me it was more fun (that word again) than WW84, and frankly most of the DCEU.

Interesting to note, the showing I saw was late afternoon on Saturday, and the cinema was packed, oddly mainly with adults, with very few teenagers in attendance.
Not sure what that that says, if anything.
I
Morbius: A Vampire with a scientific origin story. It fits into the MCU, there are a few clues buried in the film so pay attention, no need to wait for mid-credits teasers. A tale of mortality, Morbius and his "brother" Milo have a chronic blood illness, they meet as 10 year olds in a clinic run by Nicholas. Morbius vows to ensure that they grow into cranky old men together. Morbius is cranky anyway, 25 years later he turns down a Nobel Prize at the Stockholm ceremony because his invention of artificial blood was only a by product of his ongoing search for a cure for the blood disease. Milo's wealth funds the research laboratory run by Morbius but they both realise time is short as does Martine his co-researcher. An experiment splicing vampire bat genes with his own goes awry transforming Morbius into a Vampire and putting Martine at risk.

Some great combat scenes, especially aboard the freighter where the clandestine experiment is being carried out, Morbius picks off his victims among the gangways and pipes. The tearing out of throats etc is a bit restrained and often off camera to ensure a lower age rating for the film. The opening sequence involving Morbius encountering a cave full of vampire bats is spectacular. While generally impressive the CGI is a bit ropy but not in the usual sense: Vampires move swiftly leaving coloured ropes or tendrils in their wake. The vampire nemesis of Morbius is truly savage, like the Joker at times with his grimaces. Jared Leto is best when he plays Morbius in his debilitated state or as a Vampire, less so when Morbius is an enhanced human. Jared Harris is Nicholas with Matt Smith as Milo and Adria Arjona playing Martine; all put in convincing performances. I get the impression that some crucial scenes may have ended up on the editing room floor during so I await a director's cut. Directed by Daniel Espinosa from a screenplay by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless. 7/10

In cinemas.
Well I saw it yesterday and was very underwhelmed. I so wanted to like it. I like Jared Harris and Matt Smith but the whole execution seemed lacking. I felt the editing and direction were a big issue for me. Not one I will be rushing back to watch again.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: A fun SF/Superhero comedy romp where the three generations of insect people get sucked down to the Quantum World. Bill Murray plays a compromised resistance leader but Jonathan Moore eats up the (nano) scenery as Kangg, an evil dictator. All sort of creatures, sentient jelly blobs, heads composed of laser cannons, a veritable Star Wars mix, plus humans of a sort as well. Maybe this is one of the problems with the film: it has obvious influences from Star Wars, Stare Trek, Dune, even Flash Gordon.; it finds it difficult to out it's own stamp on tjings. But there are plenty of battles, jokes, one-liners and exotic machines. It provides two hours of entertainment. Directed by Peyton Reed, written by Jeff Loveness. 7.5/10.

In cinemas.

It has been two years but Loki should come out this summer on Disney Plus.

Hopefully Ahsoka will finally make it out in the fall of this year.

Maybe this is one of the problems with the film: it has obvious influences from Star Wars, Stare Trek, Dune, even Flash Gordon.; it finds it difficult to out it's own stamp on tjings. nemas.
I think - from the clips, trailers and reviews that there's more than a passing resemblance to Tron: Legacy.

I never heard of it, Secret Invasion, a Marvel comic book where marvel heroes get done in by shape changers.

Disney Plus thinks it will be well received.

This is the problem Disney Plus has so many things going on that Loki keeps being delayed.

Last season two years ago, Loki was a block buster hit.

Disney plus has loads of 'great' ideas.
Which is why they spend millions (if not billions) on new shows, and remakes of old shows, and 'big budget' films, only to find that the audiences are nothing like what they were hoping for, or just canning them altogether without ever broadcasting them because test audiences found them to be execrable.
Netflix (I think) have managed to realise they were going down the wrong path some months back and stopped producing certain types of shows, reverting to the stuff that people actually like instead.

Disney+ has great ideas ... of old, original material that they can knock-off and 're-imagine'.
Hence the current flock of their old, classic cartoons being made with live actors and cheap CGI.

He needs to get a GF/BF.

Irish world record holder achieves ‘lifelong dream’ with most Deadpool memorabilia​

Irish world record holder achieves ‘lifelong dream’ with most Deadpool memorabilia

Gareth Peter Pahliney with hise Deadpool memorabilia. Picture: Guinness World Records/PA

A comic book superfan from Ireland has said he achieved his “lifelong dream” by breaking the Guinness World Record for the largest collection of Deadpool memorabilia with a total of 2,250 items.

Gareth Peter Pahliney, from Cloghan, Co Offaly, kicked off his collection in 2006 and has since created his “happy place” full of Deadpool-related pieces, including a themed spatula, pot plant holder and a life-sized statue of the Marvel superhero.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41117317.html

Back