• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Machine gun Beaver?

Sort of makes me think of Meet the Feebles. :lol:

I think I might approve of this one.

I know Hooked on a Feeling from Reservoir Dogs. Anyway, Guardians looks like an adaptation of a Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon from the 70s more than it does your usual Marvel business, so count me intrigued.

OneWingedBird said:
Machine gun Beaver?

Sort of makes me think of Meet the Feebles. :lol:

I think I might approve of this one.

It's a raccoon - "Rocket Raccoon" and his friend, the tree Groot.

The trailer to Captain America: Winter Soldier if Cannon had made it in the 1980s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY5eELnVISc

Lot of work went into that, possibly too much, I don't recall trailers on VHS rentals lasting over three minutes! Nicely done, though.

It's got everything except the Beware of Illegal Videocassettes graphic. :lol:

I spotted the (fairly obvious) Wilhelm scream.

What did other people spot?

Behold the new Ant-Man trailer:

Seems like this has been in the pipeline for decades, at least a few years since Edgar Wright was unceremoniously booted off it, but it has finally been completed and... looks a little irreverent, but mostly in a way that they mean all the action seriously, if you see what I mean. As a fan of The Incredible Shrinking Man (book and film), I have moderate hopes nonetheless.

I don't know how excited I am about this movie. It's not a character or superhero idea that really inspires much hope. So far, Marvel have focused on characterisation, but unless they come up with an equivalent to the Tony Stark character, I don't see what's going to carry this movie. However, they haven't done a duff movie yet in my opinion. They've done some not so good ones, but not a duff one. So I'll have a little loyalty and go and see it.

My prediction for the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that it'll begin to stall in phase 3, and probably effectively die in phase 4, perhaps continued only by TV shows. So, becoming the MTU instead of the MCU. Because the actors playing the main characters will be moving on to other things, so you'll be left with other actors playing different versions of superheroes (Bucky Barnes as Cap, perhaps Ty Simpkins character as the new Iron Man, and anybody, including a woman, as Thor), and people balk at change, as well as some less appealing superheroes, like Ant-Man, Black Panther, and others that don't have such sweeping, cinematic stories. Or those with fairly ridiculous stories such as Doctor Strange or the Inhumans. These things work well as comics, but are less likely to translate well onto the big screen. I hope I'm wrong about this, because the shared universe thing gives me a buzz.

When the Agent Carter miniseries comes to your local station - watch it! It's a great deal of fun.

Good news about Agent Carter, I have heard it's started off better than Agents of SHIELD, though from the premise it reminds me of the first, WW2-set Wonder Woman TV series of the 1970s.

As for Ant-Man, Paul Rudd is an engaging actor and something like this needs a strong personality to carry it off, the Iron Man series being a good example, they couldn't have done better than Robert Downey Jr. I'm not as sold on the MCU as some because I think they're too happy to fall back on formula, though it's a formula that is undeniably working out for them at the box office. Even Guardians of the Galaxy stuck closely to the wisecracks/spiky relationships/big fight at the end business of all the others.

No men are going to be watching Agent Carter with the sound off, as they used to do with Wonder Woman. And possibly still do, I don't know (and would rather not).

It's important, when approaching a work in popular media, to take it for what it is rather than for what it's not. If you're in the mood for a nuanced feminist critique on the Marvel Universe, or on comic book tropes in general, Agent Carter is not the thing to turn on. However if, after a long day of dealing with stupid jackasses you want to grab a drink and some popcorn and watch someone in lipstick lay some hurt on the stupid jackasses - you could not come to a better place. Agent Carter is the female equivalent of the male power fantasies that mainstream superhero comics have been since their inception. One comment that rolled across my tumblr page was that there's none of the graceful, choreographed violence that is normally performed by "kick ass" female types (like Melinda May and Natasha Romanov) in this genre. Peggy Carter just slams her opponent with whatever is handy - a stapler, her fist, a complete stranger's briefcase, a lit stovetop, a speeding milk truck full of explosives - "and this is enormously satisfying to watch."

As for Ant Man - my husband, a longtime but now lapsed Marvel reader, finds many things problematic about it as an adaptation. I'm just annoyed that we get an Ant Man movie before we get a Black Widow movie. In what universe could Paul Ruud be presumed to sell more tickets (in a role that only serious comic readers will even recognize) than Scarlett Johansen (in a role that's gained a strong mainstream fan following during the course of the previous movies?) Artistic considerations aside, that is a dumb commercial decision that's hard to attribute to anything other than the institutionalized misogyny of the industry.

I'm looking forward to Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange.
I used to get those Spiderman reprint UK comics and Ditko did that weird wonky geometric art that was nothing like the spells and magical puffs you'd expect.
But looking at Dr Strange... and the rest of the franchise, it's got to be Johnny Depp surely?

As for Ant-Man, Paul Rudd is an engaging actor and something like this needs a strong personality to carry it off, the Iron Man series being a good example, they couldn't have done better than Robert Downey Jr. I'm not as sold on the MCU as some because I think they're too happy to fall back on formula, though it's a formula that is undeniably working out for them at the box office. Even Guardians of the Galaxy stuck closely to the wisecracks/spiky relationships/big fight at the end business of all the others.

Formula could ultimately be the death of the MCU. As much as I enjoyed Thor The Dark World, the basic fantasy plot at the heart of it bothered me. I was doubly annoyed that the same basic fantasy plot ran through Guardians of the Galaxy. I suppose I know that there are only so many stories to tell, so they will be repeated. But Iron Man 3 shows what a bit of courage can produce.

As for Ant Man - my husband, a longtime but now lapsed Marvel reader, finds many things problematic about it as an adaptation. I'm just annoyed that we get an Ant Man movie before we get a Black Widow movie. In what universe could Paul Ruud be presumed to sell more tickets (in a role that only serious comic readers will even recognize) than Scarlett Johansen (in a role that's gained a strong mainstream fan following during the course of the previous movies?) Artistic considerations aside, that is a dumb commercial decision that's hard to attribute to anything other than the institutionalized misogyny of the industry.

Since the events of Captain America The Winter Soldier, I'd be interested to see a Black Widow movie. She'd be a bit of a lone wolf now, it might be fun.

I'm looking forward to Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange.

I think I'm reaching saturation point as far as Cumberbatch goes. And I'm not sure whether the presence of magic in the MCU might shake its integrity a bit.

Yes, I like the Iron Man franchise as a standalone one, even the much-maligned second instalment, it proves Marvel movies can be a lot of fun. But the others are getting seriously samey.

As for Black Widow, fair enough a female superhero, but she's awfully bland to be headlining her own movie. Nothing wrong with Scarlett (er, apart from her views on celebrity endorsement), but she was a lot more valuable elsewhere in other films last year. Now a She-Hulk movie would be a delight if done the right way, she's about the most interesting Marvel heroine personality-wise (i.e. she has one).

Doctor Strange would be great if they went truly nuts with the concept, but I fear it'll be back to the template again.

I'm not too worried about the fate of Ant Man and Doctor Strange. Many are waiting to catch them up, as they are seen as risky concepts for the screen, but the same was true of Thor, Captain America and Guardians of the galaxy, and they did well. They will probably be less successful, but should remain quite successful nonetheless. On a longer term, sooner or later, of course the MCU will know some failures, public, critical and/or commercial. After the phase 3, or maybe before it ends, there is certainly a risk of weariness from the public, as they try to explore more and more characters. Abundance is often synonymous with saturation, especially as we have to take into account the emergence of the DC cinematic universe, and the new Spider Man and X-Men movies. The general public is not as forviging nor as enthusiastic as the comics fandom, and even the latter has often expressed its distraught of the confusion nad turmoils of the comics majors. But I don't know which form the decline, if decline there will be, will take.

Paul Rudd was terrific in one of the funniest movies of last year, They Came Together, so I was hoping he would get to show off his comedic chops in Ant-Man, but it in the trailer it looks as if they're embarrassed by the concept so have grudgingly admitted there may be jokes in it.

The Fantastic 4 reboot has a trailer:

And it wants you to take it very seriously. No jokes this time. So darkly serious that you won't be able to see what's going on - now THAT's serious.

I don't know how excited I am about this movie. It's not a character or superhero idea that really inspires much hope. So far, Marvel have focused on characterisation, but unless they come up with an equivalent to the Tony Stark character, I don't see what's going to carry this movie. However, they haven't done a duff movie yet in my opinion. They've done some not so good ones, but not a duff one. So I'll have a little loyalty and go and see it.

My prediction for the Marvel Cinematic Universe is that it'll begin to stall in phase 3, and probably effectively die in phase 4, perhaps continued only by TV shows. So, becoming the MTU instead of the MCU. Because the actors playing the main characters will be moving on to other things, so you'll be left with other actors playing different versions of superheroes (Bucky Barnes as Cap, perhaps Ty Simpkins character as the new Iron Man, and anybody, including a woman, as Thor), and people balk at change, as well as some less appealing superheroes, like Ant-Man, Black Panther, and others that don't have such sweeping, cinematic stories. Or those with fairly ridiculous stories such as Doctor Strange or the Inhumans. These things work well as comics, but are less likely to translate well onto the big screen. I hope I'm wrong about this, because the shared universe thing gives me a buzz.

Hey! I loved Black Panther when I was little. One of my fav characters.

Hey! I loved Black Panther when I was little. One of my fav characters.
He might well be one of the most interesting characters for comic book series, but for a movie, he needs to have something that isn't supplied by other movie characters. I'm not saying any of those movies wouldn't be good movies. But I suspect the best characters of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are already nearing their culmination, and those characters they have left to draw on in future will probably not make such appealing, accessible movies.

Also, I think there's a limit to how far they can leave the real world behind. At the moment, they primarily exist in a alternate universe which differs most obviously from our own in having had an alien invasion in New York in, I think, 2012 that was fended off by a bunch of superheroes. It's frequently mentioned in the MCU, and was a defining point in its timeline, but of course it's something we can't ignore simply didn't happen in the real world. The Second World War happened, even if we don't remember Captain America actually being part of it (outside of comics and I think a 1940s film or two). All this might seem petty, but I suspect as the MCU universe diverts more in its own direction, probably getting more outlandish, people will lose more and more investment in what happens to its characters.

The Fantastic 4 reboot has a trailer:

And it wants you to take it very seriously. No jokes this time. So darkly serious that you won't be able to see what's going on - now THAT's serious.
Well, it certainly was very serious. I get a very serious feeling about this film. I seriously think it'll be far more serious than the previous, less serious Fantastic Four films. A bit dark, eh?

"I want you to take me very seriously." - Stan Lee.

Fair point.

I liked Black Panther because as a small child one of my role models was a very loving black cat who never complained when I crawled across the floor to grab her tail. Small cat-Big soul.

I dunno... I think he's a bit too nasty to reintroduce to this franchise...

71M8OiIfT8L._SL1417_.jpg

Heh, I think it's a different Black Panther. But if Marvel really do want to get serious with their franchises...

Michelle Rodriguez makes an interesting point that is twisted to make her sound ignorant:
http://uk.eonline.com/news/630769/m...-stealing-all-the-white-people-s-superheroes?

Well, it's Michelle Rodriguez, the media is always trying to make her sound like a loudmouth who doesn't think before she starts yakking, but she's right, it is a pity there isn't a wider pool of characters for more diversity in hero movies. I'm not even sure who an action actress like her could play from Marvel, or DC, without somebody complaining. What I'm saying is, she should have been Doctor Strange.

She has a point, in that there should be more characters of non-white ethnicity to draw from, and one way to do that is to create new characters. In fairness to Marvel and DC, they have been introducing new characters to help with minority representation (Marvel more than DC). There are also the other publishers, who have created new characters, without the baggage of 75 years or 50 years of publishing to carry around with them, that could be adapted to other media, but it's Marvel and DC that have the name recognition, and the money.

At the same time, I don't have a problem with casting non-white actors as characters that are traditionally white. As long as they make a good story, who cares, really? In fact, it can be quite entertaining to watch some people's heads explode.

I think this has been brought up because Michael K. Jordan is playing The Human Torch in the new Fantastic 4 movie, and it does look like pandering from at least one unfortunate angle to cast him in a traditionally "white" role, so it's a real pity there wasn't an actual black superhero for him to play that the studio had confidence would bring in an audience, which is what Michelle was saying. Mind you, the hero who kicked off Marvel's modern success at the movies was Blade, played by Wesley Snipes, so it's perfectly possible to do, Blade wasn't exactly a household name before and is black in the comics.

I'd just like to see something different in the genre than the increasingly similar superhero movies we're getting, and diversity in some way would help that a lot (I'd hope).

Back