• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

At the risk of being a minority of one, i found the black panther to be a massive let down, it was not a bad movie but neither did it entertain me the way i thought it would, it was just very run of the mill, maybe if i had not listened to the hype i would have enjoyed it more

Jesus will punish you for that.

It was a good movie, one of the better Marvel instalments, but not the life-changing experience the reviews had led me to believe.

But then I'm a white middle-class dude.

At least you didn't go the Armond White route of claiming BP was racist. I thought it was fine, the mostly black cast could have been a novelty but they were all utilised very well, a few good laughs, Danai Gurira stealing the show, not the greatest superhero movie, but one of the better ones.

At least you didn't go the Armond White route of claiming BP was racist. I thought it was fine, the mostly black cast could have been a novelty but they were all utilised very well, a few good laughs, Danai Gurira stealing the show, not the greatest superhero movie, but one of the better ones.
He thinks there should have been more white people in a film mostly set in a fictional African nation that has been isolated since before European explorers got there? I mean there are at least two, and some people think they were too many.

Personally, I like both Martin Freeman and Andy Sirkis, but without having seen the film I can't say for sure whether they were necessary to the plot.

He thinks there should have been more white people in a film mostly set in a fictional African nation that has been isolated since before European explorers got there? I mean there are at least two, and some people think they were too many.

Personally, I like both Martin Freeman and Andy Sirkis, but without having seen the film I can't say for sure whether they were necessary to the plot.

Andy was there to bring the villain in and get the special metal (also for a bit of plot misdirection), and Martin was there to be saved by the goodies like a damsel in distress and shoot down the evil planes at the end.

.......and watch right till the end for another white boy that needs fixing

The new Luke Cage lands today. I didn't like the first one that much though.

Ha, got to the end of season 2 of Legion, and... still none the wiser. Looks great, obviously about something important and momentous, but the details get foggier as you watch it. Amber Midthunder is a brilliant name, though.

Just mentioned how unfunny Troma was on another thread, and now an ex Troma employee has been fired:
https://news.avclub.com/james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-o-1827757055

James Gunn, who made Guardians of the Galaxy a megahit, has just been fired from Disney (and GotG3) for offensive Tweets - from over ten years ago! Apparently alt-right commentators wanted a scalp, and he was in the firing line. He's apologised, but it's too late.

James Gunn, who made Guardians of the Galaxy a megahit, has just been fired from Disney (and GotG3) for offensive Tweets - from over ten years ago! Apparently alt-right commentators wanted a scalp, and he was in the firing line. He's apologised, but it's too late.

The Left discovers - too late - that their favourite weapon cuts both ways.

maximus otter

I don't really care whether James Gunn makes the next Guardians of the Galaxy film or not, I think it will be good in general to get someone else in to work on it. I don't wholly agree with his firing, but it's Disney/Marvel's decision.

I'm just trying to work out what he did to the pro-Trump ex-GamerGate people who went after him. I don't know how they're objecting to the changes to the Guardians characters, since, with one or two minor details, they're pretty close to the originals. It's not like they made Star-Lord a woman, or Groot a baobab, or something.

How desperate are these people for a victory that they go after some tweets from that long ago to get rid of a director on a series of films that don't really present a "liberal agenda"? Just because he's said some things about Trump? And this is supposed to be a major victory for them, when people on the other side are going after actual treason, and racism, and goddamn, actual Illinois Nazis?

Nazis! I hate those guys! Wait, wrong franchise.

But yeah, Gunn started his career writing for Troma, whose output is supposed to be funny, if you find relentlessly tiresome attempts to be offensive funny, so given his previous material he was a soft target. Watch out, Lloyd Kaufman! Although you'd have thought the alt-right would lap up Troma product.

Are Troma films alt-right?

Well, they're out to infuriate the PC brigade, much as Gunn's Tweets had been, though it is all one big pose and put-on to sell crappy movies.

Now there's a petition running to hundreds of thousands of signatures for Gunn to reinstated on GotG3 by Disney. I wonder if they're supporting free speech, or just want another GotG instalment.

For what it's worth, he does sound legitimately sorry, and said so some time ago when the Tweets first attracted controversy. Why they've resurfaced now I don't know. Do we believe we reach a point in life where we stop getting better (or worse), or do we give the benefit of the doubt and receive it in return?

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Fun, action and joke filled sequel as much of a blast as Deadpool 2 but these jokes are kid friendly. We even get a pastiche of the Bullitt car chase along San Francisco hills as vehicles change sizes and a large Ant-Man uses a truck as a scooter. Michael Douglas relives his Streets Of San Francisco role as he spends so much time behind the wheel of a van he looks like a cop on a stakeout.

Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) is under house-arrest after his shenanigans with Captain America but he must sneak out to aid Howard Pym (Douglas) and Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lily) as they attempt to build a quantum tunnel to rescue her mother from the Quantum realm. They encounter Bill Foster (Laurence Fishburne) a former SHIELD scientist and clash with the molecularly unstable Ghost (Hannah John-Kamen).

Giant ants abound, drumming, working in the lab, being used as muscle. The lab is shrunk and may be carried around like an attache case. Hope comes into her own as the Wasp with wings, not needing a flying ant like Ant-Man does. Indeed Ant-Man loses quite a few flying ants to seagulls in the film. A riot of laughter. 8/10.

We've just finished watching Spiderman - Home Coming .. I'm not that into super hero Marvel type films, I only watched Sam Raimi's last Spiderman films because I'm a Raimi fan but I really enjoyed Home Coming, it's sort of a mix of Kick Ass and Deadpool in approach that also hasn't lost the heart of your traditional Marvel film .. add to that great performances from Michael Keaton and Robert Downey Jnr, it somehow dragged the sappy vibe and enjoyability of an 80's Richard Donner Superman film to balance out perfectly in a modern setting without being too smug .. 9 out of 10 ..

What I liked about it is that Spider-Man isn't trying to hurt anybody - not even the baddies. He's trying to save them from themselves. A fresh take on the climactic battle cliché of every Marvel movie.

Caught up with Infinity War, it was fine, but not sure about the scene set in Scotland: they stop outside a shop and in the window next to the TV is a sign that says "WE DEEP FRY YOUR KEBAB". To see oursels as ithers see us...

Caught up with Infinity War, it was fine, but not sure about the scene set in Scotland: they stop outside a shop and in the window next to the TV is a sign that says "WE DEEP FRY YOUR KEBAB". To see oursels as ithers see us...

The battle with the Mutant Haggis was Epic though.

The new season of Iron Fist dropped today. A certain interesting character is also in it.

At last - I'm going to watch Infinity War tonight. I have successfully avoided all spoilers!

Back