• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Captain Marvel is pretty good but a tad overlong. The cat was the real star. Had a nice pint of Moretti afterwards. Review to follow.

The cat was the real star.
20190310_003150.jpg

Captain Marvel: Goose the cat is all important to this film as he adopts Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) in 1995 we also learn how NIck lost his eye. Vers (Brie Larson) is an elite Alien soldier, a member of Starforce, on Hala she trains with her commander, Yon-Rogg (Jude Law) as she prepares for a mission. She and the rest of the team are ambushed and she is taken captive for interrogation by enemy shape-shifting Aliens. Escaping she lands on Earth where she links up with Fury in a search for the Holy Grail of power sources as the planet becomes a battleground for two competing Alien races. But Vers also has memories of a time when she was a USAF pilot.

The planet Hala is brilliantly imagined, a brighter Los Angeles from Blade Runner, advanced by centuries of development. The flying vehicles and spaceships convince as do the armour/suits of Starforce, they transform into aquanautic outfits as Vers and her SEAL Team plunge into the sea as they head towards their target. The fights are well choreographed but perhaps go on too long on occasion. Brie emerges as a new Superhero as she learns how to tap into her inner resources, powers she gained through an explosion rather than a bite from a radioactive insect. Some real comedy as the shape-shifting Aliens morph into surfers as they emerge from the ocean on Earth. Vers causes consternation on a train as she punches an old lady who is in fact an alien.

The storyline remains coherent and the effects are consistently powerful and convincing (especially in IMAX 3D). Directors (and co-writers) Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have delivered a worthy addition to the MCU. 8.5/10.

No relation to the mythical movie 'Shazam'?

Well, the urban myth's name must have come from somewhere, though I suspect it was a word with magical meaning (like abracadabra) from before the comic was written, and used as a generic title because it sounded kind of like goofy sorcery.

Well, the urban myth's name must have come from somewhere, though I suspect it was a word with magical meaning (like abracadabra) from before the comic was written, and used as a generic title because it sounded kind of like goofy sorcery.

Nope ... The origin of the word 'Shazam' is attributed to the Captain Marvel comic books, circa 1940.

... Arguably coined by American comic book writer Bill Parker in February 1940[1][2], from the first letters of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shazam

History and Etymology for shazam
incantation used by the comic-strip hero Captain Marvel, from Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury, on whom he called.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shazam

invented word from "Captain Marvel" comics, 1940.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/shazam

In Captain Marvel, do they have a discussion about what quarterpounders are called on the Kree homeworld?

James Gunn rehired for Guardians of the Galaxy 3! So we now get a DC movie from him (Suicide Squad 2) and a Marvel! Bet the alt-right are beside themselves with rage. Mind you, when are they not? Anyway, sensible thing to do, and bodes well for the future of outrage culture, maybe we can move on from it. Sometimes.

Just back from Endgame, good fun, ties up the the various threads running through the current sequence of Marvel films, and gives some characters a good send off. A nice balance between character pieces, comedy and some spectacular actions sequences. The plot isn't the most linear and obvious one you might be expecting. Only just out so, can't really say much more without spoilers.

P.S. It doesn't feel like a 3 hour plus movie, and in a good way.

Just back from Endgame, good fun, ties up the the various threads running through the current sequence of Marvel films, and gives some characters a good send off. A nice balance between character pieces, comedy and some spectacular actions sequences. The plot isn't the most linear and obvious one you might be expecting. Only just out so, can't really say much more without spoilers.

P.S. It doesn't feel like a 3 hour plus movie, and in a good way.

I really enjoyed it and didn’t have to pee so missed nothing lol.

Could we start a Endgame thread with a spoiler warning? I do want to talk about it. :hapdan:

My sister tells me 'they' were filming Marvels Morbius in her local park down London way, this week. starring jared leto and dr whos matt smith.

from imdb it seems to be a vampire hero thing.

they also filmed Good Omens in the same park last year which still hasn't been on telly yet.

A Sony Super Hero film starring Jagged Lego as some kind of magic vampire, what have we done to deserve this?

Bought tickets for all the other ones?

Those people deserve it, I do not. Before you say "you don't have to see it"; delicate flowers such as myself shouldn't have to exist in a universe where such monstrosities are permitted to happen.

Those people deserve it, I do not. Before you say "you don't have to see it"; delicate flowers such as myself shouldn't have to exist in a universe where such monstrosities are permitted to happen.
It's not Marvel, but how does this grab you?

:oops:

My sister tells me 'they' were filming Marvels Morbius in her local park down London way, this week. starring jared leto and dr whos matt smith.

from imdb it seems to be a vampire hero thing.

they also filmed Good Omens in the same park last year which still hasn't been on telly yet.
"Morbius the Living Vampire" (no, I'm not sure what that means) is an old Marvel property. He pops up from time to time. Maybe the rights were tied up with Blade.

Legion's back for a final season at the end of June, and here's the trailer:

Which makes zero sense, in keeping with the show. But seeing more sinister Aubrey Plaza is fine by me.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix: While this film isn't the car crash that some reviewers suggest it does open with a car crash in 1975. Eight year old Jean Grey/Phoenix, unable to control her powers causes her parents car to crash and is orphaned. A hippie-haired Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) convinces her to attend his academy. Flash forward to 1992 and a cue-ball pated Xavier sends his minions on a mission to save astronauts on a space shuttle which has been crippled by an energy anomaly. Xavier pushes his team to go too far and the adult Jean is almost killed but she recovers with greatly enhanced powers. This causes her to question her attachment to the X-Men and the Academy. Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) also confronts Xavier about taking risks with the teams lives pointing out that the X-Women always seem to be saving the X-Men; while Hank/Beast (Nicholas Hoult) accuses the professor of having a messiah complex.

After a run in with Magneto (Michael Fassbinder), Jean also has him on her trail. To add to the fun, the shape-shifting D'Bann Aliens, led by Vuk (Jessica Chastain), want to appropriate her powers. So a three-sided pursuit of Jean ensues resulting in some great battle scenes between mutants and mutants, mutants and aliens, and then it becomes complicated when military special forces intervene. Some tragic losses which enrage certain mutants who swear to get revenge and this is where a problem arises, they seem to change their minds far too easily which doesn't help to develop the narrative in a screenplay which is already a tad clunky. But Magneto is great from the moment he dons his helmet, he makes a triumphant entrance into the D'Bann HQ, followed by a subway car which has been ripped from the underground. Some philosophising between Magneto and Professor X: this is no Manichean duology, both have their dark and light sides. Magneto has founded his own sanctuary for mutants. My favourite Magneto minion is Ariki (Andrew Stehlin), he uses his weaponised dreads against opponents.

If this is to be the final X-Men film then it is a bit of a disappointment but is still well worth a watch. Directed by Simon Kinberg from his own muddled script. 7/10.

Back