• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Captain marvel. I fell asleep at one point and missed a major plot twist. I didn't care. It was good too see the latest Spider-Man movie get a good review in the magazine ,because the last two marvel movies I have seen have been poo.

"Morbius the Living Vampire" (no, I'm not sure what that means) is an old Marvel property. He pops up from time to time. Maybe the rights were tied up with Blade.
*sighs and positions nerd cap*
Morbius was doing Science! When his experiments went wrong. He ended up with similar traits to a normal vampire, however whereas your normal vampire is undead, he's still living.
He is susceptible to sunlight, but not other stuff.
One storyline also featured a version of him that was turned into a zombie, where he proudly declared himself as a Vampire Zombie, or Vambie! He was promptly killed by the original, out of embaressment.

Captain marvel. I fell asleep at one point and missed a major plot twist. I didn't care. It was good too see the latest Spider-Man movie get a good review in the magazine ,because the last two marvel movies I have seen have been poo.

I liked Wonder Woman better, but Captain Marvel was OK by me, I liked that she wasn't yet another brooding superhero struggling with the burden of being fabulous. Plus Brie Larson gives a mean side-eye.

The Marvel movies in general and Captain Marvel in particular are LAYERED with hidden weirdness, waiting to be unlocked.

Whenever you see the Department of Defense Entertainment Liaison in a film's credits, it's a pretty good bet they signed on because they (or more likely, another Agency) wanted to stick something 'interesting' in there.

I'm a comics history nerd and have been studying how DoD and CIA have interfaced with my industry for a couple years now, and the Captain Marvel film is a gem of an example of the kind of thing they do, and how much work they put into it.

You might know that Carol Danvers was the star of a title called Ms Marvel in the 1970s. In Ms Marvel #1, there is a letter from a woman who says she works at NASA and is a comics fan. When this was brought to my attention, I thought maybe I'd try to track her down and interview her about the character for the entertainment news website I help run -- sounded like a cool story. I didn't end up getting around to it in the time frame I wanted, but I banked my research on it and thought I might circle back someday.

This woman did work at NASA and as far as I can tell, has had a very successful career in her field in the years since. Thing is, she worked in a special part of NASA -- Langley Research Center, which is where they test CIA spy planes.

When I saw the film, a bunch of things clicked: the hangar shown where Carol is a pilot appears to be the Langley Research Center hangar. The aircraft she's flying looks like a successor to the infamous SR-71 Blackbird spy plane (aka, the X-Men plane). The original version of the Blackbird, the A-12, first flew in test flights waaaayyyy back in 1962, at Area 51 -- which of course might explain some things. the Blackbird itself has been in service since 1964 (and was apparently retired around 1990).

Rumors and supposed designs of the Blackbird's successor have periodically surfaced since the mid/late 1980s -- which tracks with the time frame of the film's setting, interestingly enough -- and periodically surface again every few years. In reality, we don't know exactly what they've been doing with it. Accepted wisdom says that satellites and drones have fullfilled much of the role that original spy planes were designed to do, but... by amazing coincidence? News of a Blackbird successor model has been out there again over the past few months.

Anyway... with a few exceptions, the Marvel movies contain awesome levels of hidden weirdness. I CANNOT WAIT for Black Widow to come out.

She'd eat you like a soft cheese. First peel away the skin and then feast on your warm, gooey center.

Last edited:
The Marvel movies in general and Captain Marvel in particular are LAYERED with hidden weirdness, waiting to be unlocked.

Whenever you see the Department of Defense Entertainment Liaison in a film's credits, it's a pretty good bet they signed on because they (or more likely, another Agency) wanted to stick something 'interesting' in there.

I'm a comics history nerd and have been studying how DoD and CIA have interfaced with my industry for a couple years now, and the Captain Marvel film is a gem of an example of the kind of thing they do, and how much work they put into it.

You might know that Carol Danvers was the star of a title called Ms Marvel in the 1970s. In Ms Marvel #1, there is a letter from a woman who says she works at NASA and is a comics fan. When this was brought to my attention, I thought maybe I'd try to track her down and interview her about the character for the entertainment news website I help run -- sounded like a cool story. I didn't end up getting around to it in the time frame I wanted, but I banked my research on it and thought I might circle back someday.

This woman did work at NASA and as far as I can tell, has had a very successful career in her field in the years since. Thing is, she worked in a special part of NASA -- Langley Research Center, which is where they test CIA spy planes.

When I saw the film, a bunch of things clicked: the hangar shown where Carol is a pilot appears to be the Langley Research Center hangar. The aircraft she's flying looks like a successor to the infamous SR-71 Blackbird spy plane (aka, the X-Men plane). The original version of the Blackbird, the A-12, first flew in test flights waaaayyyy back in 1962, at Area 51 -- which of course might explain some things. the Blackbird itself has been in service since 1964 (and was apparently retired around 1990).

Rumors and supposed designs of the Blackbird's successor have periodically surfaced since the mid/late 1980s -- which tracks with the time frame of the film's setting, interestingly enough -- and periodically surface again every few years. In reality, we don't know exactly what they've been doing with it. Accepted wisdom says that satellites and drones have fullfilled much of the role that original spy planes were designed to do, but... by amazing coincidence? News of a Blackbird successor model has been out there again over the past few months.

Anyway... with a few exceptions, the Marvel movies contain awesome levels of hidden weirdness. I CANNOT WAIT for Black Widow to come out.

So, how many of the extras are aliens from Area 51?

Anyone else get to the end of Legion, then? I did feel that if they ditched the weirdness it would have a pretty conventional superhero plot, but I really liked that weirdness. Glad they didn't let David off the hook for the rape, that was a very grim plotline, but the "at peace" conclusion was quite fitting. Hope Amber Midthunder gets more work, I just like seeing her name. But yeah, nice to see Marvel could be adventurous and take chances, it is a fairly conservative outfit, story-wise.

Good news, Spidey fans, Marvel and Sony have come to an arrangement to continue the Tom Holland films, just in time for the latest one to be released on home entertainment. What a remarkable coincidence, but I'm glad it'll make the diehard fans happy, anyway. Oh, wait, nothing makes diehard fans happy.

Very well argued article here on the Marvel vs Cinema debate:
Marvel article

Basically it points out the bullied have become the bullies in pop culture terms, and those masses advocating superhero movies (or any populist blockbusters) over art or intellectual works because they believe those superhero efforts are just as good, if not better, at engaging the intellect, are less insightful and more shills for corporations which make billions out of them and care most about profit over art.

Now, I enjoy superhero movies, but I like something arty as well, there should be room for both. This does not mean superhero movies should effectively stand for both, and the success of nerd culture is more complex than us vs them. Just because, if you're not a kid anymore, these things mean just as much to you as they did when you were a kid, does not mean they are better than films that are being edged out of the cultural conversation until the critics throw a few "best of" sops to them at awards season/end of year lists.

Any thoughts (read the article first, he says it better than me)?

I'm in full agreement with the article, super hero movies may be fun or well made or aesthetically pleasing but they are ultimately middle of the road with corporate mediocrity baked into the cake. Even token "different" ones like Logan, the Nolan films or Joker have that dull blandness and superficiality hanging over them. The MCU has perfected the 3 to 3.5/5 "totally acceptable" piece of ephemeral entertainment.

The blind loyalty, sore-winner attitude and mindless championing of these huge companies that only value the "fans" for their ability to generate profit, is something that I've noticed for many years and increasing dismay. There is something Nuremberg-like about Comic Con, D23 and those other mass gatherings of braying idiots. For those who fetishise the inclusion of women minorities, do you not think they'd push a reactionary line or explicitly fascist line if there was more money to be made from that? Give it ten years. All the aggrieved Gamergate type manbabies will get just what they want.

Last edited:
While we wait to see if Black Widow is ever released, even The New Mutants for that matter, there was an interesting article in The Guardian about China's huge influence over Hollywood (China is an enormous market now):
News story

The reason I mention it is, remember the controversy over Tilda Swinton playing the mentor character in Doctor Strange, who many said should have been played by a Chinese actor and accused Marvel of whitewashing? Now we know the truth, it was nothing of the kind: the Chinese authorities pressured Marvel not to make the character Chinese because originally the mentor was Tibetan, and they don't want any representations of Tibet (which China invaded and now occupy) in movies. So they didn't even make him slightly Asian, or even male, they made he a she, a pasty Celt. The more you know...

I'm just watching season 2 of Punisher. Wow, it's all about the feelings.

While we wait to see if Black Widow is ever released, even The New Mutants for that matter, there was an interesting article in The Guardian about China's huge influence over Hollywood (China is an enormous market now):
News story

The reason I mention it is, remember the controversy over Tilda Swinton playing the mentor character in Doctor Strange, who many said should have been played by a Chinese actor and accused Marvel of whitewashing? Now we know the truth, it was nothing of the kind: the Chinese authorities pressured Marvel not to make the character Chinese because originally the mentor was Tibetan, and they don't want any representations of Tibet (which China invaded and now occupy) in movies. So they didn't even make him slightly Asian, or even male, they made he a she, a pasty Celt. The more you know...

When I first read of this, a long time before DS came out, the original reporting stated that they were altering the ethnicity of The Supreme Being in order to placate China. It wasn't clear in the tone at the point if China had applied pressure, or Marvel just altered it of their own accord to preempt issue with the CCP. I don't recall if Swinton had been cast at that point but there was no mention of "whitewashing" at the point, that narrative seemed to gain traction with the failed Ghost in the Shell adaptation.

When I first read of this, a long time before DS came out, the original reporting stated that they were altering the ethnicity of The Supreme Being in order to placate China. It wasn't clear in the tone at the point if China had applied pressure, or Marvel just altered it of their own accord to preempt issue with the CCP. I don't recall if Swinton had been cast at that point but there was no mention of "whitewashing" at the point, that narrative seemed to gain traction with the failed Ghost in the Shell adaptation.

Yes, the whole idea that a performer should closely share characteristics with their roles can be traced back to these two movies, maybe to Emma Stone in that flop Cameron Crowe movie too. I think what many people really want is to watch a documentary about superheroes, where their powers are all real.

Yes, the whole idea that a performer should closely share characteristics with their roles can be traced back to these two movies, maybe to Emma Stone in that flop Cameron Crowe movie too. I think what many people really want is to watch a documentary about superheroes, where their powers are all real.

I prefer actual documentaries like Pacific Rim.

The New Mutants: Darkest of the X-Men films, straying into horror territory. Five teens are confined to an institute run by Dr Reyes (Alice Braga), they all have Mutant powers, some haven't manifested yet. Ostensibly Reyes is going to help them identify their powers and control them; the teen Mutants believe that they will then move on to Professor Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters. But it is soon clear that Reyes and her Superior have other plans for them, they are under surveillance at all times even when they think they are in camera free zones and the institution is surrounded by a force-field.

The teens are impressive: Dani Moonstar (Blu Hunt) arrives after her Reservation is wiped out by a tornado and she is chased by an elemental entity; Sam Guthrie (Charlie Heaton) can fly at jet speed; Bobby da Costa (Henry Zaga) is literally a human torch; Rahne Sinclair (Maisie Williams) is a shape-shifter; Illyana Rasputin (Anya Taylor-Joy) has sorcery powers. They are united by the fact that they all have survived tragedies. Things turn dark when the new mutants suffer nightmares which have real world consequences. Masked monsters (voiced by Marilyn Manson) who are eyeless and grinning when unmasked torment Illyana; Rahne is attacked by a crazed priest who brands her.

This is a grim film, even the institution which has cells and seems to have been a psychiatric hospital in the past. There are open fields but this freedom is curtailed by the force-field. It is a prison, not a school. The conflicts between the teens are lightened somewhat by the growing romantic relationship between Rahne and Dani but there are true scenes of horror if not downright terrors the mutants fight for survival.

Release of The New Mutants has been much delayed and it has been through re-shoots and new cuts but I think this version works well. Many X-Men fans will probably not be please by it though and that might explain it's IMDb rating.Director/Co-Writer Josh Boone has delivered a fitting conclusion (?) to the X-Men series in this thirteenth film. 8/10.

The creator of the New Mutants says they spelt his named wrong in the credits and turned a black character into a white one to downplay the racial concerns in the original. Combine that with the three year wait to be barely released, he's not a happy bunny.

Of the seven characters in The New Mutants two are Hispanic, two are Amerindian, one is Scottish, one is Russian (played by a Hispanic-English actress), one is white American.

Of the seven characters in The New Mutants two are Hispanic, two are Amerindian, one is Scottish, one is Russian (played by a Hispanic-English actress), one is white American.

Tweet Bob McLeod and tell him his disappointment about his contribution to the comics (he was the artist and responsible for the look of the characters) wasn't that important anyway.

Tweet Bob McLeod and tell him his disappointment about his contribution to the comics (he was the artist and responsible for the look of the characters) wasn't that important anyway.

Just pointing out that the film wasn't whitewashed.

Comic creators are often unhappy with how their characters are adapted for the big screen. Many Marvel and DC characters look little like their comic originals.

Just pointing out that the film wasn't whitewashed.

Comic creators are often unhappy with how their characters are adapted for the big screen. Many Marvel and DC characters look little like their comic originals.

Yeah, I know, and I have some sympathy with the view that no film or TV adaptation is going to be identical to the page. But spelling his name wrong is a bit off.

OK, I was wondering how they'd misspelled "Claremont".

There are a couple of problems with translating comics to the screen. Mostly in terms of the practicality of character designs. Plus availability of actors. I'm not defending the filmmakers in any way, there are still issues with how they cast people in these things, but I don't know enough to say whether this is worth getting upset over. It won't be the last time this argument will come up.

After the announcement that Tatiana Maslany is the new She-Hulk on TV, she's apparently said this was news to her, so it doesn't seem to be true. A lot of people are saying this is because she's only 5'4" and the character is 6'7", but I believe there's this thing called visual effects that could remedy that. So the real reason of what was going on there is a mystery.

Back