• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

I soooooooooooooooooooooooo wanna watch Loki, Tom is really darn good as him, but of course you have to sign up to Disney+ which i don't want to do, damn

Bet I cant outrun the bugger that will erase it, maybe it will be on DVD aat some point

I soooooooooooooooooooooooo wanna watch Loki, Tom is really darn good as him, but of course you have to sign up to Disney+ which i don't want to do, damn

We are finding it well worth the money now. I wasn’t too sure at first. With the addition of the fox stuff though we seem to be watching it a lot more than Netflix.

We are finding it well worth the money now. I wasn’t too sure at first. With the addition of the fox stuff though we seem to be watching it a lot more than Netflix.

Found Con Air hiding on there the other day.

con-air-mopop-nicolas-cage-so-bad-its-good.jpg

I enjoyed last Friday's episode a lot more than the others. I don't think that the show is at all bad, I just don't think it is different enough to generate the conversations that Wandavision did.

I'm looking forward to Loki now though.

Also, the amazing Olivia Colman is joining the MCU in Secret Invasion, alongside Sam Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn and we are to assume from the end of Wandavision,Teyonah Parris. I'm very much looking forward to this.
Not interested in the TV programme, and I've never heard of all the other names, but having watched Olivia Colman from way-back-when (in shows like Mitchell and Web, she's a great comedian and actress, with awards, so "she's the latest thing" in Hollywood so ... how long is her star on the rise?
Hollywood is so fickle.

I caught the first episode of Loki.

I just will say one word, disappointing !

This will probably go down like a lead balloon...but I really avoid Marvel films because I feel so icky afterwards.

To me, they are like eating 10 bags of candy floss - really good at the time but nutritionaly empty. Vacuous. I know I shouldn't have done it...

:D

I've just recently caught up with "Falcon and the Winter Soldier"

I liked it. Didn't shy away from the politics and had a good balance between action sequences and personal drama.

Like "Wandavision" the t.v. format gives the writers the opportunity to explore ideas and gives the actors more to get their teeth into emotionally (or comedically) It's also fleshing out the themes and threads for the next set of movies, which will please the fans.

The first Loki episode it out there - much closer to WandaVision in tone but there's some insanity on the horizon.

Also...Owen Wilson? How has he not been in a Marvel property already?

This will probably go down like a lead balloon...but I really avoid Marvel films because I feel so icky afterwards.

To me, they are like eating 10 bags of candy floss - really good at the time but nutritionaly empty. Vacuous. I know I shouldn't have done it...

They may make a billion at the box office, but they're by no means universally liked, so you're not going out on a limb if you prefer difficult French chamber drama or whatever. Some people even prefer DC!

Some people even prefer DC!

My little one made me watch Wonder Woman 2 last month.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh, I love the Wonder Woman films, but I'm a nutcase. They're like modern fairy tales.

Oh, I love the Wonder Woman films, but I'm a nutcase. They're like modern fairy tales.

I never saw the first one but heard really good things about it.

So went into 2 ready to enjoy it. Plus it has Gal Gadot in it...:bthumbup:

But I just found it really boring. And her character a nothing. Like a blank slate. More flaws in it than even I can let slip. Just one big silly. And waaaaaaaaaaay too long.

For me, that is. Not to others :)

*whispers* I liked both WW movies better than any of the Avengers movies, even Endgame. In some areas of the internet you'll get publicly shamed and ostracised for admitting that.

While I don't begrudge audiences entertainment they enjoy, and Marvel (and DC) introduce movies to billions of kids and helps them get the movie habit, I do wonder when the superhero bubble will burst. Marvel movies do all end in a big CGI fight, every single one, and it is samey. The trouble is, what do we move on to afterwards? I worry they'll leave a black hole of fun.

Marvel movies do all end in a big CGI fight, every single one, and it is samey.

I really might as well watch a computer game. And the scripts really get to me as well...like every line a character says has to be whip-smart, cool and funny...it's fun, for a bit, but then it just gets tiresome. Just have an intelligent conversation!

I really might as well watch a computer game. And the scripts really get to me as well...like every line a character says has to be whip-smart, cool and funny...it's fun, for a bit, but then it just gets tiresome. Just have an intelligent conversation!

Call it The Whedon effect (no, not bullying in the workplace!).

Call it The Whedon effect (no, not bullying in the workplace!).

Really kills it for me.

OBVIOUSLY I am a huge fan of Scarlett as Black Widow. But all she ever does is hit someone acrobaticaly, say something cool, then pull that face.

Then does it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

You get the idea.

You've just expressed how I feel, pretty much.
In my case, it may be because I yearn to see a really good hard SF film. These superhero films aren't SF. Well, not SF enough for me.

Look, let's face it.
Do a CGI movie involving popular Marvel comic heroes.
Oh. Hang on. That's what it is.
Why exactly are they bothering with, well, y'know, live actors? Oh, yeah - box office draws. Like Stallone doing Judge Dredd; it doesn't matter if the film is good or bad, but the stars make the receipts.

Pretty soon, the studios will be selling studio tours where the 'guests' are wheeled into a big green-screen room and they are told "Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the magic is recorded."

Pretty soon, the studios will be selling studio tours where the 'guests' are wheeled into a big green-screen room and they are told "Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is where the magic is recorded."
And this computer is where the digital actors live. Autograph prints are available on the way out.

That's one of my main objections to them, every character quips like every person's idealised version of themselves. The quips aren't even that funny most of the time but they are always there. You can almost predict the rhythm. And they all just feel bland and homogeneous overall.

I must be in a minority here as I love the Marvel movies. Plus I’ve really enjoyed S.H.I.E.L.D., Wandavision, FaWS, and Wednesday‘s Loki was an absolute joy. Of course, they’re not high art or the greatest movies of all time. They’re take your brain out, put your feet up, grab a beer and enjoy the spectacle.

Did anyone else notice the similarities between the TVA and Legends of Tomorrow? The TVA were basically the same as the Time Bureau hunting down anachronisms.

So Loki was
D.B. Cooper
all along! As soon as he handed the note to the air hostess, I turned to my wife and blurted out his name.

I've also really enjoyed most of the Marvel movies. They're not hard SF but then neither are a lot of movies. I also prefer my dialogue good rather than realistic, I get enough of that in real life.

Why exactly are they bothering with, well, y'know, live actors?

I honestly don't think they will for much longer. I watched "Raya" the other day, which was excellent, but I noticed a lot of the computer animation was totally indistinguishable from reality...the foliage, the hair, skin, movement of the characters. Filimg a movie is a load of hassle and expense...you will be able to make "real" animated movies for a fraction of the cost...4 people in an office with computers. Heck, don't even need an office...4 people on computers working from home :D

That's one of my main objections to them, every character quips like every person's idealised version of themselves. The quips aren't even that funny most of the time but they are always there. You can almost predict the rhythm. And they all just feel bland and homogeneous overall.

This is beautiuflly and intelligently put. It's what I was trying to say but am not as smart as you. Yes - you always know when they are coming, it's like a drum rhythym. Inevitable. Some of them really work and are great...most of them just seems to be there because...just because...

I honestly don't think they will for much longer. I watched "Raya" the other day, which was excellent, but I noticed a lot of the computer animation was totally indistinguishable from reality...the foliage, the hair, skin, movement of the characters. Filimg a movie is a load of hassle and expense...you will be able to make "real" animated movies for a fraction of the cost...4 people in an office with computers. Heck, don't even need an office...4 people on computers working from home :D

This is beautiuflly and intelligently put. It's what I was trying to say but am not as smart as you. Yes - you always know when they are coming, it's like a drum rhythym. Inevitable. Some of them really work and are great...most of them just seems to be there because...just because...

I think actually "realistic" actors are still an long way off, perhaps personally. I agree they can render backgrounds realistically, terrifyingly most of the backgrounds in the "live" Lion King were entirely CGI... They can also get something very close to skin, and movements, especially "big" movements - jumping, kicking etc can be very convincing but our eyes and brains are too good at spotting actual people, especially when it comes to faces and facial expressions. One of the reasons why Raya might be so convincing is that the characters are still cartoon-y looking, so we avoid the uncanny valley. It would be very different if they tried to make the characters looking like actual people, it would likely fail and double/triple/quadruple the budget too. The demands for realism in the backgrounds would likely increase too.

They actually can't make these types of films more quickly or cheaply than live action at the moment - the CGI demands huge amounts of animators working around the clock and the computational/energy/hardware costs are enormous and time consuming as well. Things may be "improving" in this filed but my best guess is that is still prohibitive whatever efficiency has been gained and will continue to be so for some time. It's true you eliminate "real world" problems like dealing with weather, accidents, actors behaviour etc but you are swapping those for different problems.

As much as Hollywood might be wasteful nonsense (you point to most of 21stC civilisation as the same) the idea of entire movies of more or less convincing characters being generated by digital serfs and large hard drives is profoundly dystopian. And therefore likely entirely likely.
This will and the continuing use of robots and all endeavours destroys jobs, which impoverishes the many in the increasing the profits of the few.

I think actually "realistic" actors are still an long way off, perhaps personally. I agree they can render backgrounds realistically, terrifyingly most of the backgrounds in the "live" Lion King were entirely CGI... They can also get something very close to skin, and movements, especially "big" movements - jumping, kicking etc can be very convincing but our eyes and brains are too good at spotting actual people, especially when it comes to faces and facial expressions. One of the reasons why Raya might be so convincing is that the characters are still cartoon-y looking, so we avoid the uncanny valley. It would be very different if they tried to make the characters looking like actual people, it would likely fail and double/triple/quadruple the budget too. The demands for realism in the backgrounds would likely increase too.

They actually can't make these types of films more quickly or cheaply than live action at the moment - the CGI demands huge amounts of animators working around the clock and the computational/energy/hardware costs are enormous and time consuming as well. Things may be "improving" in this filed but my best guess is that is still prohibitive whatever efficiency has been gained and will continue to be so for some time. It's true you eliminate "real world" problems like dealing with weather, accidents, actors behaviour etc but you are swapping those for different problems.

Thank you for proving I have absolutely no idea I'm talking about.

Which is absolutely true!

:rofl:

Thank you for proving I have absolutely no idea I'm talking about.

Which is absolutely true!

:rofl:

The assumption you made is entirely reasonable, most people might think the same thing. I listen to several film podcasts and these issues are often brought up.

Back