• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

One of the reasons they need big name actors is to send them out on a worldwide publicity push on chat shows.

I honestly don't think they will for much longer. I watched "Raya" the other day, which was excellent, but I noticed a lot of the computer animation was totally indistinguishable from reality...the foliage, the hair, skin, movement of the characters. Filimg a movie is a load of hassle and expense...you will be able to make "real" animated movies for a fraction of the cost...4 people in an office with computers. Heck, don't even need an office...4 people on computers working from home :D

This is beautiuflly and intelligently put. It's what I was trying to say but am not as smart as you. Yes - you always know when they are coming, it's like a drum rhythym. Inevitable. Some of them really work and are great...most of them just seems to be there because...just because...
CGI can be incredibly expensive compared to using 'real' actors, depending on the film, some CGI productions take upto 500 animator on 6 figure salarys upto 2 years to make, compared to a 6-8 week shooting schedual for a live action production, it obviously depends of the actors involved in the film, the bigger the star the more they will cost, someone like Brad Pitt commands a $20 million plus fee, whete as an up and coming actor may work for peanuts, whete as CGI animators will always cost you big money. Pretty much all of the top 30 most costly films to make contain a huge amount of CGI animation.

https://www.insider.com/most-expensive-movies-ever-made

CGI can be incredibly expensive compared to using 'real' actors, depending on the film, some CGI productions take upto 500 animator on 6 figure salarys upto 2 years to make, compared to a 6-8 week shooting schedual for a live action production, it obviously depends of the actors involved in the film, the bigger the star the more they will cost, someone like Brad Pitt commands a $20 million plus fee, whete as an up and coming actor may work for peanuts, whete as CGI animators will always cost you big money. Pretty much all of the top 30 most costly films to make contain a huge amount of CGI animation.

Yeah, don't you start too mate!
:rofl:

https://www.insider.com/most-expensive-movies-ever-made

My guess is that at this point, most of those animators are not on six figure salaries - there's so much competition as masses of people have moved into the field and you are competing internationally with people and companies from poorer countries that can and will do it cheaper. Animators are relatively expendable, the company that did the breath taking/horrifying animation for The Lion King reboot folded after winning the Oscar that year for VFX due to money issues with studios for example.

Souleater is a being entirely rendered through CGI, scores of animators are working on him as we speak...

Well...they can feel free to stop! :p

I think we better get this back to "Upcoming Marevl Adaptations"...much as it's been a pleasure...

They also had a female Thor for a while in the comics.

1623745221015.jpeg

On the whole, I like the MCU films.

Having run RPG campaigns in the Marvel Universe several times, I am pretty familiar with the characters and concepts, so I enjoy seeing how they get adapted to screen.

Also, as fantasy films go, these are pretty logical about depicting the tactics of superhuman beings. I follow the plots with a game-master's eye toward, "what would be the best move for X against Y."

Since I can't afford streaming services, I hope that The Mouse will release "Loki" on disc eventually...

I think the Marvel Universe will be just like a reboot of the old Marvel Universe but gender swapped.

Won't happen (much) or long term, blandly good looking white guys are what puts bums on seats Worldwide. Ideally blonde and called "Chris".

Black Widow: Families - surrogate ones appear in all shapes and sizes in this film but they are all unhappy in their own ways. 1995, the original Black Widow, Melina Vostokoff (Rachel Weisz) and Red Guardian Alexi Shostakov (David Harbour) are undercove,r spying on SHIELD, accompanied by their young "daughters" Natasha and Yelena they flee when their cover is blown. Yelena and Natasha are sent to the Red Room to be trained as Black Widow assassins. So begins the tale of how this family reunites with Scarlet Johansson as the adult Natasha and Florence Pugh as Yelena. They fight a Cyborg and the Black Widows (as well as each other at first), they even have to spring Alex from prison. Fight scenes both mass and duels are impressively choreographed with CGI assistance in skydiving bouts. The evil General Dreykov (Ray Winstone) even has a Cloud Base HQ and as many lives as a cat. A moving tale, the "sisters" aren't just out for revenge, they want to free all of the Black Widows from mind control. Some gaps in the chronicles of the MCU are filled in and future adventures are promised with some interesting plot twists. Directed by Cate Shortland from a script by Eric Pearson. 8/10.

Black Widow seem to be the first Marvel Universe flop - obviously their flops take millions more dollars than other people's, but after the first week, it seems interest has dropped dramatically. Some are blaming piracy, but maybe it's because she never had any personality to hang much of a movie on?

Black Widow seem to be the first Marvel Universe flop - obviously their flops take millions more dollars than other people's, but after the first week, it seems interest has dropped dramatically. Some are blaming piracy, but maybe it's because she never had any personality to hang much of a movie on?

It's also on Disney+.

Scarlett Johansson has quite a good personality which infuses the Black Widow imho.

Scarlett comes across as quite spiky to me, especially when she puts her foot in it with the press and social media, but I don't get much of that in her BW acting. I'm not as down on her as Stephen Dorff is, mind you!

I’ll probably not bother with Black Widow. She died and I didn’t feel anything (in terms of fictional characters meeting their demise). Also, I didn’t watch Bucky and the Falcon, even though I loved the dynamic of Cap and The Falcon in the old comics. Not having Disney, I’m relieved that I have an excuse to drop the Marvel Universe(s) as it’s just getting silly now.
I planted a vid on this site showing modern action ‘acting’. Reacting to ping pong balls on sticks, in harnesses that would be later removed in post. What little acting they seem to do is purely for exposition to reinforce the plot points for the hard of thinking.
Having seen the Great Oz pulling the levers and letting off the steam, I’m less impressed than I used to be.

I feel like I'm suffering from super hero fatigue.

I can't bring myself to watch any of the DC shows at the moment, and I love Legends of Tomorrow; I still have all of last years Arrowverse shows to watch. However, I'm still fairly excited for the Marvel stuff. I enjoyed Wandavision, thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was OK, and have absolutely adored Loki. I'm very much looking forward to both the next live action Spider Man and the next Into the Spiderverse. It's interesting that both my boys (9 and 8) much prefer Miles Morales over Peter Parker.

I feel that we need a bit of a break from superheroes for a while. We need some good Sci-Fi - It's been a while since we heard anything about Netflix's Old Man's War adaptation; Apparently being adapted as a movie now rather than a series. That would make sense to me as the book isn't that dense and I struggle to see how you would drag it out. I could see an adaptation of each book as an individual movie though.

Mark

I feel like I'm suffering from super hero fatigue.

I can't bring myself to watch any of the DC shows at the moment, and I love Legends of Tomorrow; I still have all of last years Arrowverse shows to watch. However, I'm still fairly excited for the Marvel stuff. I enjoyed Wandavision, thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was OK, and have absolutely adored Loki. I'm very much looking forward to both the next live action Spider Man and the next Into the Spiderverse. It's interesting that both my boys (9 and 8) much prefer Miles Morales over Peter Parker.

I feel that we need a bit of a break from superheroes for a while. We need some good Sci-Fi - It's been a while since we heard anything about Netflix's Old Man's War adaptation; Apparently being adapted as a movie now rather than a series. That would make sense to me as the book isn't that dense and I struggle to see how you would drag it out. I could see an adaptation of each book as an individual movie though.

Mark

Have you watched Batwoman? Dark, violent, very much an adult show.

I hope they deliver Old Man's War.

Back