• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

StoryofE

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Marvel Enterprises' Q4 2003 Earnings Conference Call this morning, Marvel Studios' Avi Arad gave an update on the company's upcoming comic book adaptations.

He says TV spots will start next week for The Punisher, which will be released on April 16. He says Spider-Man 2, opening July 2, is a "spectacular movie"! Arad added that Blade: Trinity is "bigger and better" and once you see it you'll see why Blade 4 will be in the works. Then in October of this year, the studio will also release Man-Thing.

For 2005, Arad says Fantastic Four will be released in July. He mentioned they've got a great script and are now picking the right director. Elektra starts production this May, Iron Man starts production in the middle of the year for a November, 2005 release. Ghost Rider and Luke Cage are also targeted for 2005 by Sony Pictures.

Also in the works are X-Men 3 (2006), The Hulk 2 (2006), Namor (2006), The Punisher 2 (2006), Iron Fist, Black Widow and Deathlok. Namor he says is like "Star Wars underwater... a fascinating frontier". He compared it to "Jurassic Park" as something viewers have never seen before. They've got visual designs for the film already and are talking to directors for a 2006 release. The Hulk 2 will be much different than the first film. Arad referred to the sequel as the "light" version with it not being as heavy, or dramatic.

Arad added that Sony and Marvel are aiming Spider-Man 3 for 2007. Marvel is also talking about bringing Captain America and Nick Fury to the big screen.

In addition, Avi Arad said that in the years to come you'll be seeing more family and female oriented films, based on Marvel's characters, as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:cool:

What about the Man-Thing film that finished shooting last year - is it still coming out?

It would be great if they could call it's inevitable sequel "Giant-Sized Man-Thing"...:D

I have only seen the first X men film so far. Having grew up with Jack Kirby and the Fantastic Four I am most interested in that film which seemed to go on ice and still hasn't got a director. There was an FF film some years ago but it sunk without much trace.

They truly are a rich source of imaginative material. Having stopped buying comics around the end of the 70s so I am not familiar with the more recent incarnations. What always truck me about the 70s Superman films with Christopher Reeve was how unconvincing his flying always seemed to look.

I saw ther trailer for the Punisher yesterday and I don't need to see the movie now.
But I can't wait for Hellboy.

Worst news of the year - Kanoe Reeves to star in Hellblazer.
What are these people on?

Weren't they supposed to be doing a Wonder Woman movie ... Oh hang on she's DC isn't she? Carry on ...

Rrose Selavy said:
I have only seen the first X men film so far. Having grew up with Jack Kirby and the Fantastic Four I am most interested in that film which seemed to go on ice and still hasn't got a director. There was an FF film some years ago but it sunk without much trace.
There was something somewhere last week that I saw about whassisname that was Sam in the LotR being in the frame for directing the FF movie (he's directed before, at least a couple of Angel eps).

Jimv said:
Worst news of the year - Kanoe Reeves to star in Hellblazer.
What are these people on?
If they wanted to cast an American as, Cock-a-nee Geezer, Johnny Constantine, then James Masters (Spike in Buffy) would have been that Man.

Instead, it's to be Pinnochio! :confused:

Iron Man, eh? Could be interesting.

Keanu Reeves for John Constantine is just going to be the biggest mistake ever.

Still, at least there's Blade III and IV to look forward to!

Spider Man 2010 should be made into a film, its a brilliant concept and would be a lot of fun developing, plus he wears a mean black and red costume.

The casting is interesting with these adaptations, if they get it right!

I thought , from a facial resemblance of the original character iIan Mckellen as Magneto was about right.

I have heard suggestions of James Galdolfini as Ben Grimm (The Thing) and George Clooney as Reed Richards?

Hook Innsmouth said:
He's not a Cock-a-nee geezer. He's a scouser.
Aw! Shit! I knew he was English, anyway.

It's 10-15 years since I read any 'SwampThing', or 'Hellblazer'.

Marsters was still the right guy for the role.

Can't wait for Namor - The Mariner was always a fairly under-rated and mis-understood super-villain/hero IMO.

Now, for those of you who remember when Spidey comics were in landscape format, do you remember Moon Knight?

Now that would make a film and a half!

a silver surfer film would be amazing, but how to do it justice?

There was a silver surfer cartoon a few years ago that was pretty good. My husband is a huge silver surfer fan and has all the original comics plus all of his cross over stuff to the fantastic four. Anyway there was maybe ten twelve eps and then got cancelled. :(

a silver surfer film would be amazing, but how to do it justice?

Easy. SS can be done as a convincing 3d character.
Joe Pasquale can do the voice - at least if the casting of these things runs true to form.

As for hellblazer...I agree that 'Spike' may be bankable but the accent is a bit LAenglish. If you want a hardbitten geezer and are willing for a slight relocation, Robert Carlysle would get my vote.

I bet Affleck went for it though.

Well they would have to find someone very lithe to play the surfer, and how to make it without it being campy or to heavy handed. I think that is the hardest thing for the comics to translate to film. I mean look what they did to Batman. Lets just hope the new one will be better.

Jimv said:
Easy. SS can be done as a convincing 3d character.
Joe Pasquale can do the voice - at least if the casting of these things runs true to form.

With Julian Clary as Galactus.

getting away from marvel adaptations, i think that Mr. Miracle would be a great film if handled properly.

...and the old cartoon 'The Impossibles' would make a good movie too.

chockfullahate said:
getting away from marvel adaptations, i think that Mr. Miracle would be a great film if handled properly.

Funny, i was going to mention that and the other original Kirby Fourth World comics - New Gods. Trouble is, people not familiar with it may compare it to Star Wars - There are similarities as George Lucas was alledgedly influenced by it. eg. The Source/The Force, Darkseid/Darth Vader, the father/son relationships, though personally I think Kirby had the better imagination. He always felt he was competing with the movies.

I have been reading internet rumours for years that Nicholas Cage is supposed to play Johnny Blaze in Ghost Rider. This one might be true as Cage is a huge comic fan who recently sold his whole collection for quite a large sum.

Another rumour years ago was that Tom Cruise was interested in playing Tony Stark in Iron Man.

I would love to see a Power Man and Iron Fist movie set in the 70's.

:cool:

I know it's not Marvel but;

I always imagined Robert Palmer (yeah I know he wasn't an actor and he's also six-feet under) to be a perfect John Constantine. I guess that was due to Glenn Fabry's artwork. Nearest actor who would come close to it in my opinion would be Ewan McGregor.

I also reckon this guy Rufus Sewell could be a great Jesse Custer in a Preacher adaptation.

Although it seems from this old report that James Marsden was also in the line for that role.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=2131

Rrose Selavy said:
Funny, i was going to mention that and the other original Kirby Fourth World comics - New Gods. Trouble is, people not familiar with it may compare it to Star Wars - There are similarities as George Lucas was alledgedly influenced by it. eg. The Source/The Force, Darkseid/Darth Vader, the father/son relationships, though personally I think Kirby had the better imagination. He always felt he was competing with the movies.
A New Gods movie... >drool<... Ogod I'd wanna see that...

Never mind the inevitable Star Wars comparisons tho' -can you imagine a writing team trying to pitch Granny Goodness, The Deep Six, Boomtubes, Motherboxes, Suicide Slum or -most especially- The Black Racer, to Hollywood producers?

:rofl:

It'd be worth pitching just to see the baffled terror in their eyes... "A black quadraplegic Vietnam vet in a persistant vegetative coma who has an alter ego as an alien knight in psychedelic shining armour who flies through space at superluminal speeds on a pair of skis, deciding who lives and dies?!!? On a pair of skis?!!?"

:D

Zygon said:
A New Gods movie... >drool<... Ogod I'd wanna see that...

Never mind the inevitable Star Wars comparisons tho' -can you imagine a writing team trying to pitch Granny Goodness, The Deep Six, Boomtubes, Motherboxes, Suicide Slum or -most especially- The Black Racer, to Hollywood producers?

:rofl:

It'd be worth pitching just to see the baffled terror in their eyes... "A black quadraplegic Vietnam vet in a persistant vegetative coma who has an alter ego as an alien knight in psychedelic shining armour who flies through space at superluminal speeds on a pair of skis, deciding who lives and dies?!!? On a pair of skis?!!?"

:D

you just made that sound like the most amazing film never made!

Helen said:
I'm still waiting for Good Omens
The latest on Sci Fi Wire says this:

Roven Talks Grimm, Omens

Producer Charles Roven told SCI FI Wire that Terry Gilliam's upcoming fantasy film Brothers Grimm is about a third of the way through post-production and will showcase the quirky director's talents. "What I've seen of the movie so far, I think it's a Terry Gilliam movie through and through, but the best of Terry Gilliam," Roven said in an interview. "I think that Matt Damon and Heath Ledger work spectacularly together."

The movie stars Damon and Ledger as the fairy-tale-spinning brothers in a fictionalized story about their adventures in medieval Europe. "And ... quite frankly, I couldn't think of a better project that could be blended for Terry's talents," Roven said. "We're going through the process ourselves. But right now, I'm feeling very positive."

Brothers Grimm is slated for a November release.

But Roven was less upbeat about a proposed movie based on Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's satirical religous novel Good Omens, which Gilliam was also contemplating helming. "It's only fallen to the side in terms of the inertia it has right now," Roven said.

Controversy surrounding the release of the similarly themed Dogma has spooked distributors who may have considered picking up the project, Roven said. "While there were American distributors interested in distributing [Good Omens], they were not interested in guaranteeing enough money, so we couldn't put the economic package together, that's all," Roven said.

Meanwhile, Roven said that Gilliam remains committed to making The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, which he had to abandon in mid-production after a key actor fell ill. "I think the next movie Terry Gilliam wants to make, if he can, is The Man Who Killed Don Quixote," Roven said. "It's clouded with rights issues and everything, but if he could figure out a way to make it, he'd make it."

Talking of errr...Man Things I finally managed to download a copy of Roger Corman's Fantastic Four film.
It's worth watching just for the novelty value and I was kind of impressed with The Thing, the prosthetic effects, not the guy underneath.

Back