• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Have you seen these behind-the-scene shots of The Thing from the new FF movie?

PS Costume shots of all the FF are here.

It's true Corman's version at least looks like The Thing is made out of rock. That new one looks like a burns unit entry into The Worlds Strongest Man.

I'll be honest and admit I've never read a Fantastic Four comic but the impression I've always had from watching the MAH is that The Thing was made from stone and was Hulk-esque.

The Thing in the new pics reminds me more of the original Kirby version in the first issues of FF before he got his distinctive concrete eyebrows and his "rocks" became more faceted and distinct. Though I am totally unfamiliar with any later versions from the 80s onwards.

4.htm

thats page 4 of the first ff issue, can see what you mean about the lack of the more distinct rocks, but he seems a lot beigger than the new "thing", more hulk like.

I think he was exaggerated for menacing effect. Kirby wasn't always that consistant. He once drew the hulk (when he first appeared in FF) with three fingers and a thumb like the thing . His art did get more sophisticated over time in the mag. Maybe he deliberately tried to make the thing more distinctly different.

Also once the makers of the new film decided they weren't going down the CGI road they had to have a man in a suit basically, I guess.

It's a man in a suit in the Corman version. I'm not overly fussed either way because I'm more pissed off that they hire someone with the looks of Jessica Alba to play a character whose main attribute is invisibility. Some would say it's irony and others would say it's taking the piss.

HARVEY W. SCREWING OVER "DEATHLOK" PIC?

(2005-11-11)

It appears Paramount Pictures is so impressed with swedish director Mikael Hafstrom's debut "Derailed" that they're eager to sign him for the big screen adaptation of Marvel Comics "Deathlok." However, Harvey and Bob Weinstein own the option on Hafstrom's next movie and likely won't let him go. What are comic geeks to do? Well, we can hope "Derailed" bombs which will sour the Weinstein's on Hafstrom OR...we can hope the movie dies before Paul W.S. Anderson or Uwe Boll are available.

Read the full story at Media Bistro>>>

www.filmthreat.com/index.php?section=he ... ch=&page=0

Marvel Studios Gives an Update
Posted: Friday April 28th, 2006 4:38pm
Source: Dark Horizons
Author: Garth Franklin

'Zephyr' is back with a lot of news and announcements for the films being produced under Marvel Studios itself:

- Zak Penn ("X-Men: The Last Stand") will write the sequel to "Hulk" whose villian was revealed by Avi Arad to be the Abomination.

- Ant Man will be adapted by the co-writer/director of "Shaun of the Dead", Edgar Wright, who intends to direct and co-write the feature with Joe Cornish.

- Captain America's script is being written by David Self ("Road to Perdition"), who has had adaptations of Namor and Deathlok. Recently, Avi Arad said that while he hoped it would be Marvel's first feature film, certain factors such as a particular director's schedule has delayed the film to at least 2009.

- "Nick Fury" will be written by Andrew Marlowe ("Air Force One", "End of Days").

- "Thor" will follow a more mythological route under a script being written by Mark Protosevich ("Poseidon").

- Of all these films, whichever of them are released first, will open in theaters around 2008 at the earliest, the most probable being either the Hulk sequel or Iron Man.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060428g.php

MrRING said:
- "Nick Fury" will be written by Andrew Marlowe ("Air Force One", "End of Days").

Again another remake that is unneeded as the first was a classic!! ;)

Damn, there goes my screen play for battles with gods. Ho hum.....hmmm, Vin Diesel as Thor - hysterical....Jacky Chan as Loki and Christopher Lee as Odin. Yay!

Erm, i can imagine Christopher Lee being way cool as the All-Father, and even more so if it was in American Gods (which i doubt will ever see the big screen), but Jackie Chan as Loki? I mean, he's not very norse... :?

Vincent Price might have made a good Loki in his younger days.

-

Summer 2008 release for 'Iron Man'
Friday, June 23 2006, 15:36 BST - by Daniel Saney

Iron Man is being slated for a May 2, 2008 release, Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment announced today.

Based on the Marvel comic character, the film will follow the story of billionaire weapons manufacturer Tony Stark, who sets off on a crusade against the evils of the world when he is injured by one of his own creations. Jon Favreau will direct.

Kevin Feige, president of production for Marvel Studios, said of the announcement: "We're thrilled to be launching the summer 2008 movie season with Iron Man. Marvel has had great success with the first Friday in May - Spider-Man broke records on that first Friday and X2 debuted at the top of the box office charts as well.

"We're looking forward to extending that track record with Iron Man and are extremely pleased with the progress of the script, the production team we are forming and the initial production designs."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds34327.html

Any ideas who would be good to play Tony Stark? I'm struggling to think of anyone who'd fit but I've got the image of Ultimate Iron Man in my head, it's the only one with which I'm familiar.

- Ant Man will be adapted by the co-writer/director of "Shaun of the Dead", Edgar Wright, who intends to direct and co-write the feature with Joe Cornish.

Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish? Hell yeah!

For all those people wanting Silver Surfer, take a peek at the first picture in this article.

hokum6 said:
Any ideas who would be good to play Tony Stark? I'm struggling to think of anyone who'd fit but I've got the image of Ultimate Iron Man in my head, it's the only one with which I'm familiar.

Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish? Hell yeah!

For all those people wanting Silver Surfer, take a peek at the first picture in this article.

I'll have Jim Cavaziel (The Passion) or Tom Cruise. That character needs a good actor, not just a pretty boy. As for the F4 movie, I love the Silver Surfer, but I totally hated the characterization for the first movie. Jessica Alba is hot and everything, but as a blonde she looks as fake as my teen neighbours who have even blacker hair than I do. The Human Torch is an asshole, Mr, Fantastic looks autistic, and the Thing.... well, he's okay. But I would have another cast: George Clooney as Mr Fantastic, Scarlett Johansson as Sue Storm, Jude Law as the Human Torch and Bruce Willis as the Thing. Oh, and Dr. Doom, don't get me started on that one!!!

Dr. Doom just made me think of Rupert Everett as Claw in Inspector Gadget.

Jim Cavaziel I could see, not sure about Cruise or Bale, especially the latter, he's Batman now.

hokum6 said:
Dr. Doom just made me think of Rupert Everett as Claw in Inspector Gadget.

Jim Cavaziel I could see, not sure about Cruise or Bale, especially the latter, he's Batman now.

Dr. Doom needs someone with a pressence that projects even with the mask. I am thinking someone like a young Sean Connery, with macho appeal and a powerful stance, but I can't think of someone, maybe a British or European actor.

Interetsing idea using a known substance abuser to play Tony Stark - should bring interesting angles to the role:

Iron Man role for actor Downey Jr

Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr is to play superhero Iron Man in Hollywood's latest comic book adaptation.

The Marvel Studios film is due to begin shooting in February.

Marvel's president of productions, Kevin Feige, said Downey Jr's "versatility... makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character".

Iron Man, co-created by Stan Lee in the early 1960s, is famed for his special high-tech suit of armour which he uses to fight evil.

Downey Jr's previous films include Chaplin, for which he won an Oscar nomination, and recent Richard Linklater film A Scanner Darkly.

"We cannot think of another actor better suited to bring one of Marvel's crown jewels to the big screen," Mr Feige added.

Downey Jr recently signed a deal to write his memoirs.

The 41-year-old's widely reported drug problems led to prison, rehabilitation and probation in the 1990s.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 393500.stm

Published: 2006/09/29 16:54:18 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Mighty_Emperor said:
Interetsing idea using a known substance abuser to play Tony Stark - should bring interesting angles to the role:

Iron Man role for actor Downey Jr

Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr is to play superhero Iron Man in Hollywood's latest comic book adaptation.

The Marvel Studios film is due to begin shooting in February.

Marvel's president of productions, Kevin Feige, said Downey Jr's "versatility... makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character".

Iron Man, co-created by Stan Lee in the early 1960s, is famed for his special high-tech suit of armour which he uses to fight evil.

Downey Jr's previous films include Chaplin, for which he won an Oscar nomination, and recent Richard Linklater film A Scanner Darkly.

"We cannot think of another actor better suited to bring one of Marvel's crown jewels to the big screen," Mr Feige added.

Downey Jr recently signed a deal to write his memoirs.

The 41-year-old's widely reported drug problems led to prison, rehabilitation and probation in the 1990s.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 393500.stm

Published: 2006/09/29 16:54:18 GMT

© BBC MMVI

I like the brain tumoured-up Ultimate Stark. It would be weird if Iron Man turned out to be a jinxed film, similar to the Superman franchise - actually, looking at the way this has been off-and-on for so long, you could argue it is jinxed - and Downey actually developed a brain tumour.

drums fingers on table anxiously waiting Ultimates vol 2/12

I always thought a young Tom Selleck would have made an excellent Tony Stark. He'd have had the millionaire playboy thing down to a tee.

Robert Downey Jr. ain't a bad choice, though. If Stark's old alcohol problems figure in the movie, then I reckon someone with Downey's intensity and - ahem - experience could really make something of it.

barfing_pumpkin said:
I always thought a young Tom Selleck would have made an excellent Tony Stark. He'd have had the millionaire playboy thing down to a tee.

Robert Downey Jr. ain't a bad choice, though. If Stark's old alcohol problems figure in the movie, then I reckon someone with Downey's intensity and - ahem - experience could really make something of it.
Nice idea on Selleck, but he's a little weathered.

I was surprised with regard to Downey playing the role. He's also a little, 'left out in the rain' shall we say. This is perhaps what makes it an interesting choice.

And I still haven't seen the first film yet!

First look: Fantasticar flows onto film
Updated 11/30/2006 7:45 AM ET
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY
The mileage is great, because it doesn't use any gasoline. And traffic isn't a problem, because it can zoom along at 30,000 feet.
About the only problem with the Fantasticar is, well, it doesn't exist — at least in real life. It will, however, make its long-awaited debut in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, which gets its first look here.

The vehicle, a staple of the Fantastic Four comic books, ranks right up there with the Batmobile and Ghost Rider's flaming motorcycle as the wheels of choice among comic devotees.

But translating the flying car from the page to the big screen was no small effort, says Tim Flattery, conceptual artist for the Fantastic Four sequel, which hits screens June 15. He showed several designs to director Tim Story, including one based loosely on the Batmobile, which he designed for 1995's Batman Forever.

But Story rejected the designs as "too aggressive," Flattery says. "He wanted something that looked less like a predator and more friendly. That's always been the Fantastic Four theme."

That family-friendly tenor helped the original movie rake in $155 million domestically and $330 million worldwide.

Flattery looked for more tranquil inspiration from the sea. He based the final design on manta rays and stingrays. "They have a natural flow and grace. We wanted something that looked like it could glide as easily as they do."

Of course, stingrays don't have to haul 500 pounds of superhero on their backs. The Fantasticar is built to hold four crime fighters: Thing, Human Torch, Invisible Woman and Mr. Fantastic.

In the movie, the Fantasticar is powered by a proton accelerator, can hover, fly at 500 mph and break into separate flying machines. And while the 4,000-pound model doesn't move without the assistance of a crane or casters, it's still an impressive piece of space-age polymer.

Flattery worked 10 months designing and building the Fantasticar, which will enjoy a life after the movie in sequels and on the auto-show circuit.

"It was like Christmas morning when we first saw it," says Jessica Alba, who plays Sue Storm, aka Invisible Woman. "With all the dials and joysticks, we wanted to fly it. It's the ultimate toy."

For fans, though, it's something much more, says Fantastic Four producer Avi Arad.

"There aren't many vehicles that play a big part in the (comic) books," Arad says. "So you have to get it right. We wanted it to look futuristic, but plausible. For fans, the car can be as important as the characters."

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... icar_x.htm

hokum6 said:

I personally was rooting for the part to go to Benecio Deltoro, but I guess I can settle for RDJ

Back