• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Iron Man

Why is Downey Jr playing Tony Stark?

He doesn't have the Stark face.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Interetsing idea using a known substance abuser to play Tony Stark - should bring interesting angles to the role:

Iron Man role for actor Downey Jr

Hollywood actor Robert Downey Jr is to play superhero Iron Man in Hollywood's latest comic book adaptation.

The Marvel Studios film is due to begin shooting in February.

Marvel's president of productions, Kevin Feige, said Downey Jr's "versatility... makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character".

Iron Man, co-created by Stan Lee in the early 1960s, is famed for his special high-tech suit of armour which he uses to fight evil.

Downey Jr's previous films include Chaplin, for which he won an Oscar nomination, and recent Richard Linklater film A Scanner Darkly.

"We cannot think of another actor better suited to bring one of Marvel's crown jewels to the big screen," Mr Feige added.

Downey Jr recently signed a deal to write his memoirs.

The 41-year-old's widely reported drug problems led to prison, rehabilitation and probation in the 1990s.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 393500.stm

Published: 2006/09/29 16:54:18 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Heard there not doing Stark's personal problems in the movie though so why Downey Jr? He doesn't even have the Stark look.

barfing_pumpkin said:
First image of the Silver Surfer from Fantastic Four 2 here:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2006-12-21-coming-attractions_x.htm

Doesn't really give that much away really as it just looks like it's taken from a comic and is heavily photoshopped. I've got an awful feeling the real thing is going to be a tin-foil covered turd. It's a shame as the Surfer is one of my favourite characters - or should be as the premise is great.

(hope they do something better with him than they did with the wet-wipe that was supposed to pass for Doctor Doom in the first one!)

Ugh. I thought everything about the Fantastic Four film was pretty dire. It was like Marvel Adventures or something. They should have gone for the kitschy 1960s take that was mooted early on.

Another wasted comic adaptation opportunity. :(

Ugh. I thought everything about the Fantastic Four film was pretty dire.

I don't think it was that bad - speaking as a parent, it's a pretty good family adventure movie. Ioan Gruffyd (or whatever it is), Michael Chiklis and Christopher Evans did as good a job as I think we're going to get. Jessica Alba was mere T&A, and the film was pretty frank about it too.

What was unforgivable, though, was the wasted opportunity that they made of having The Greatest Super Villain of All Time (tm) as the baddie. In the books, Dr. Doom whupped ass. In the film he was a snivelling little rich-boy who couldn't handle a couple of jelly-bellied stockbrokers. Not good. Not good at all.

I expect much better of Galactus, next time...

jefflovestone said:
Ugh. I thought everything about the Fantastic Four film was pretty dire. It was like Marvel Adventures or something. They should have gone for the kitschy 1960s take that was mooted early on.

You mean they didn't go for the kitsch? I thought it was good (and thankfully unpretentious) fun, although I would preferred a bigger scale finale.

I thought Johnny Storm and The Thing were the best bit in that movie. I thought Sue and Reed and Doom weren't well realized. Though the 'team-up' battle at the end was good, but X-Men Last Stand out stripped it when it finally came out (I liked X-Men Last Stand a lot).

gncxx said:
jefflovestone said:

You mean they didn't go for the kitsch? I thought it was good (and thankfully unpretentious) fun, although I would preferred a bigger scale finale.

No, I didn't think they went for kitsch at all; I think they went for 'cool'. It was an identikit superhero film (I'm sure there's a photoshop filter that cranks out comic adaptation film logos these days). If it had a retro 1963 feel, I think the kids would have still loved it anyway (a 1963-dated bus getting wrecked by Ben is going to have the same impact as a 2005-dated bus) but it would have given the whole thing much more of a twist.

At first, I liked the idea of Ben's skin being more bumpy than rocky in a tip of the hat towards the earlier renderings of the character, but I don't think it worked in the end. He just wasn't 'big' enough.

Alba was a crap choice for Sue, and I agree, it was a T&A thing, but it was the wrong T&A. I don't want to come across as John Byrne here, but I think she was a really poor casting choice.

In all, the Invisibles was much, much better Fantastic Four film than the Fantastic Four.

jefflovestone said:
In all, the Invisibles was much, much better Fantastic Four film than the Fantastic Four.

Do you mean the Incredibles? That was better, I agree.

Don't be too hard on Jessica. She wasn't hired to flex her thespian talents, even if she could.

gncxx said:
jefflovestone said:

Do you mean the Incredibles? That was better, I agree.

Don't be too hard on Jessica. She wasn't hired to flex her thespian talents, even if she could.

Yes, sorry, I meant the Incredibles. Much better Fantastic Four film. Dealt with the 'family as superhero team' aspect better, the visuals were better, better storyline, better characterisation - better in every way.

I wasn't expecting the Royal Shakespeare Company* but even visually she was wrong. Whilst I don't mean in the way that Byrne apparently meant, but still wrong somehow.

*nobody expects the RSC! Our chief weapon is iambic pentameter... iambic pentameter and tragedy... our two weapons are iambic pentameter ... iambic pentameter and tragedy...

I bet that bloke wasn't happy about his car getting flipped over. Flippin' superheroes. So to speak.

gncxx said:
I bet that bloke wasn't happy about his car getting flipped over. Flippin' superheroes. So to speak.
I bet he sells it on ebay.

;) All part of the subculture of the bystander in comics...Kurt Busiek's yet to explore that angle.

The Silver Surfer looks ok.

Not as white as in the Cartoons and comics though.

ghostdog19 said:
jefflovestone said:
MaxMolyneux said:
The Silver Surfer looks ok.

Not as white as in the Cartoons and comics though.

:?

Am I missing something here?
?

The only reason the Silver Surfer is ever white in comics is due to the limitations of the printing process. When comics are fully coloured, he's never white as such and is usually grey with lots of reflection - so I'm a bit puzzled as to what Max expected. Surely even his name is a give-away?

I thought the rendering of the trailer was as good as could be expected.

Well it does what it says on the box - he is silver and a surfer ;) Just wait until you see the Black Racer ;)

It struck me as being a little T1000 though and I was hoping for.... something else.

Perhaps have him as more of a matte silver. He just seemed a little 1997 compared to the richness of the flame effects.

Mighty_Emperor said:
Well it does what it says on the box - he is silver and a surfer ;) Just wait until you see the Black Racer ;)

WTF was Kirby thinking with that? I'm surprised he didn't create a 'Mauve In-Line Skater' for Topps in the early 90s.

It struck me as being a little T1000 though and I was hoping for.... something else.

Perhaps have him as more of a matte silver. He just seemed a little 1997 compared to the richness of the flame effects.

Yeah, it didn't 'sit right in the mix' but I didn't expect it to as I stopped having high hopes for comic adaptations a long time ago.

jefflovestone said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

WTF was Kirby thinking with that? I'm surprised he didn't create a 'Mauve In-Line Skater' for Topps in the early 90s.

I believe there were plans for The Orange Skateboarder.

Mighty_Emperor said:
jefflovestone said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

I believe there were plans for The Orange Skateboarder.

That sounds like some weird romance manga. Perhaps the main male character turns into a tea pot in the family restaurant belonging to the female lead in the daytime. Maybe a talking kite/lantern that endeavours to smooth out the couples problems in getting together and some bizarre comedy relief from a mammal that's difficult to distinguish because of the way it's drawn.

jefflovestone said:
and some bizarre comedy relief from a mammal that's difficult to distinguish because of the way it's drawn.

It turns out to be a wombat that burps and break wind at inopportune moments and the young chap always gets the blame.

UsedtobChrisFord said:
WARNING do not click this link if you are offended by chrome scrotums

I have to say I wasn't sure if I would or wouldn't be offended by chrome scrotums ( Antony Gormley's iron ones on the beach haven't even offended my aged aunt but I wasn't sure if that extended to all metal knackers). I wasn't.

I can't imagien he is going to spend the whole film flying around with his danglies whanging around but it makes a nice bit of extra publicity for them I suppose ;)

Back