• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

Marvel wants WWE wrestler for 'Thor'

Is Fabio too old now for the role?

Marvel wants WWE wrestler for 'Thor'
Wednesday, August 15 2007, 14:02 BST

By Alex Fletcher

Marvel Studios reportedly wants WWE wrestler Triple H to star in the lead role of its new movie adaptation of Thor.

The news follows the announcement earlier this week that Layer Caker director Matthew Vaughn is going to be in charge of the movie.

A report on Chud.com claims that the wrestler-turned-actor is the number one target for the film studios but apparently the British director is not so keen.

Meanwhile, IESB.net suggests that Vaughn would prefer to see Rome star Kevin McKidd be given the role.

Triple H has featured in a Marvel movie before, starring alongside Wesley Snipes in Blade: Trinity. He was also connected with the now defunct King Conan: Conan of Iron.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a718 ... -thor.html

British director picks up hammer of Thor

British director Matthew Vaughn has been lined up to direct the comic-book adaptation Thor, based on the adventures of the fearsome Norse god of thunder and war.

Marvel Studios made the announcement last night, on the eve of the north American release of Vaughn's latest film Stardust, a glittering fantasy romp starring Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro and Ricky Gervais.

Plot details remain under wraps. However if the comic books are anything to go by, audiences will get to see Thor come to earth as a protector of mankind, aided and abetted by his boomerang-like hammer, cascading blond locks and superhuman strength.

This will be Vaughn's second attempt to direct a superhero film after he pulled out of X-Men 3 for personal reasons several years ago. Brett Ratner stepped into the breach on that occasion, and the film went on to gross $459m (£225m) worldwide.

Vaughn's rapid ascent has been one of the stories of British success in Hollywood. He cut his teeth as a producer on Guy Ritchie's Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels in 1998, eventually making his directing debut with the gangster flick Layer Cake in 2002.

Marvel Studios, meanwhile, will be pleased to have signed a director and will be keen to race the project into production ahead of a possible writers' strike in October. If industrial action kicks in, executives will not be allowed to call on a unionised writer to make script alterations during the shoot.

To this end, all the studios are stockpiling projects. Warner Bros begins shooting Yes Man starring Jim Carrey in October, while Christian Bale is hard at work reprising his role as Batman in the Dark Knight.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2146044,00.html

glittering fantasy romp starring Claire Danes, Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert De Niro and Ricky Gervais.

For FK's sake Gervais again! Whos' he playing this time - Ulik the troll?

sherbetbizarre said:
Plot details remain under wraps. However if the comic books are anything to go by, audiences will get to see Thor come to earth as a protector of mankind, aided and abetted by his boomerang-like hammer, cascading blond locks and superhuman strength.

I think the Ultimate's take on Thor would be pretty successful: schizophrenic male nurse - is he a God or is he insane? - which only gets resolved during the end. Also, the more topical eco-warrior and humanitarian aspects have gone down well with readers so I can imagine a similar response with cinema goers.

I really like the Ultimate Thor, but I´m just not sure he would work without the whole rest of the Ultimates world. Where would be be supposed to get his equipment from for example, without that whole super soldier arms race.

Xanatico said:
I really like the Ultimate Thor, but I´m just not sure he would work without the whole rest of the Ultimates world. Where would be be supposed to get his equipment from for example, without that whole super soldier arms race.

What, it's not believable that, even in a fantasy film, a country other than America might work alone on a superhero program of some kind?

I find it as far more plausible than practically every cinematic superhero event occuring in America/New York!

Yes but it will make the idea that he´s stolen supersoldier equipment less plausible. Whereas if several countries are known to work on it, like in The Ultimates it just seems better.
One thing I would change about Ultimate Thor though is the idea of him being a pacifist. The vikings were many things, but they were not pacifists. I see him as being against wars started due to the military-industrial complex and such, rather than because of honor and righteousness. As opposed to being a pacifist hippie as they call him in Ultimates.

Xanatico said:
Yes but it will make the idea that he´s stolen supersoldier equipment less plausible. Whereas if several countries are known to work on it, like in The Ultimates it just seems better.
One thing I would change about Ultimate Thor though is the idea of him being a pacifist. The vikings were many things, but they were not pacifists. I see him as being against wars started due to the military-industrial complex and such, rather than because of honor and righteousness. As opposed to being a pacifist hippie as they call him in Ultimates.

An eco-warrior stealing super-soldier equipment for humanitarian/ecological purposes (to save the planet etc) would tie with the pacifist hippy element fairly well. The pacifist hippy thing is one of the twists that made me love the reworking of the character in the Ultimates. I thought it was a great reading of a very tired character.

Yes I also love the new Thor, especially that he doesn´t have any winged helmet. :) Neither do Captain America or Namor, which is great. It´s the pacifist label that annoys me slightly, even if he is a pacifist with a big scary hammer. Perhaps they should get Dennis Storhöj to play him, he was a viking in 13th Warrior. Then they could use cgi to make him look bigger, that would be better than getting a wrestler who can´t act.

Xanatico said:
Yes I also love the new Thor, especially that he doesn´t have any winged helmet. :) Neither do Captain America or Namor, which is great. It´s the pacifist label that annoys me slightly, even if he is a pacifist with a big scary hammer. Perhaps they should get Dennis Storhöj to play him, he was a viking in 13th Warrior. Then they could use cgi to make him look bigger, that would be better than getting a wrestler who can´t act.

If anything, I think the pacifist stance gives Ultimate Thor even more strength as well as a sense of nobility. I'm also glad they got rid of the 'middle-English' feel to his speech that never really made much sense.

I was reading a bit of Ultimate Power, for some reason they have given him some of that speech back in those comics.

Xanatico said:
I was reading a bit of Ultimate Power, for some reason they have given him some of that speech back in those comics.

I'll imagine it will be even worse for Ultimates Vol 3: The Shit Years.

Yes I read they apparently plan to make it less political. I wonder if we will just end up with bland superhero action again. That would be awful. The politics was part of what made Utimates to interesting. Though we really should make a specific thread for this.

i think i'm warming too it the more times i see it.

that artificial larynx voice sounds awful familiar though... better keep doctor who away from him!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!.... Wow. About time somebody used one of the coolest songs ever on a movie. I am so excited, like a teenage boy :D

Onix_Martinez said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!.... Wow. About time somebody used one of the coolest songs ever on a movie. I am so excited, like a teenage boy :D

Well, to be fair, I can only think of a couple of films in recent years where it was applicable: this and the Iron Giant.

Top tune though, I've always loved that and Supernaut.

Jonathan Ross in Search of Steve Ditko

BBC4
Comic fan Ross lovingly lauds the man who first drew Spider-Man and became a god to comic-book fans. Ditko's eccentric politics and reclusiveness (will Ross get a super-rare interview?) make this an intriguing tribute to a unique talent, even if you've never read a comic.

Worth watching if you missed it it's repeated
12.50am Tuesday 17th morning
12.20am Thursday 20th Sept

Did anyone else see?

Great programme! Rossi wasn't too over-the-top or annoying. Nice interview with Stan the Man. The best bit was Alan Moore reciting lyrics about Mr A. Classic

It was really good until the last five minutes when it became clear we wouldn't be getting that interview. At least Mr Ross was satisfied. The Stan Lee bit was the real highlight.

News on the Fantastic Four reboot:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... mmy-677249

The bit that's getting fans in a tizzy:

Dr. Doom is said to be the villain of the reboot (the character appeared in Fox’s two previous movies and was played by Julian McMahon). The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision is hearing that the studio is likely to go for a big name and isn’t ruling out switching genders for the role.

Victoria von Doom, anyone? Don't the FF already have any supervillainesses to combat? It's PC gorn mad!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/miles ... 201099921/

After a final rewrite to the script and a long casting process, Fox looks to have assembled the team for its “Fantastic Four” reboot.

Miles Teller, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell will join Michael B. Jordan in the latest installment in the comicbook franchise.

Mara recently closed a deal to play play Sue Storm/The Invisible Woman. While no offer is out yet, Bell is expected to be tapped to play Ben Grimm/The Thing. Teller has an offer to play Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic, but deal points are a little further away from being completed.

Teller and Mara have been on Fox’s radar since they were expected to test in November — events that were pushed when Simon Kinberg came on for the last polish on the script.

Bell came into the mix after Fox resumed screen tests.

Jordan has been attached for some time to play Johnny Storm/The Human Torch.

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

With its four leads on board, Fox will now try to find its villain and hopes to test a handful of actors in the coming weeks.

“The Fantastic Four” is slated to bow June 19, 2015.

Looks like there's going to be a blockbuster out every week next year. Aren't the superheroes looking younger these days? I'm guessing The Human Torch is no longer Invisible Girl's brother? Jamie Bell as The Thing?! CGI, I suppose?

I've been won over by the new trailer for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie due out in August. I'm not a reader of comics, so, although Rocket Raccoon's name rings a bell, I'm not familiar with this bunch of newcomers to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Word is, it's a bit of a risk they're taking. However, I've been pretty impressed with the MCU movies so far. They've all been between fair and excellent escapism in my opinion. I'd love to see how far this experiment of a shared mega-budget cinematic universe can go. Is anyone here familiar with the 'Guardians' comics? Does anyone have misgivings about the decision to include these lesser known entities in the MCU?

I think the Marvel brand can do little wrong with cinema audiences at the moment, I too was not exactly familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy but that trailer is impressive, and pretty funny too. I hope it's better than The Avengers, which I was in the minority of not enjoying, but it looked like Transformers with superheroes to me. Guardians looks quirky and fun in comparison.

SameOldVardoger said:

That song's been my earworm since I saw the Guardians trailer for the first time. A real blast from the past. Whether such references to past culture will be enough for us to invest in a new space opera franchise, even attached to the Marvel brand, I don't know. People have been trying unsuccessfully to create a new Star Wars since Return of the Jedi, but when it comes down to it, the knack is not in the fantasy or the spectacle, but in the characterisation and the journey, both of which have proven to be strengths of the MCU.

I'm old enough to remember the song from the 70s, but it's nice to see it used on TV shows and movies once in a while.

Back