• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Uppermill, Oldham 'Dogman/Werewolf' [1993]

Paul_Exeter

Justified & Ancient
This account was reported to British Bigfoot researcher Deborah Hatswell and featured in her book:

Hatswell, Deborah. People Who Witnessed Dog Men, Werewolves, Shucks and Wulvers.: Over 60 Reported Sightings of Bipedal Canine Creatures. Book 2 in The Fortunate Unfortunate Book Series. (The Fortunate Unfortunates) (p. 136). Kindle Edition.

I know from reading these forums that opinions about Deborah's work vary, but all the same I feel it is worth posting in the hope that any forum members from the Oldham area might have something to add or even know of the case from a different source. It is also worth posting because of the high-strangeness aspect that tickles my Fortean senses (!). I will outline the case here but as ever please support the researcher and go to the original work cited above for the full details.

"In October 1993 a welder was working late in a furniture workshop in the back lanes of the Uppermill area of Oldham. As it was now evening the building was locked and closed to the public, so the welder was surprised to see a 'strange' elderly couple seemingly appear out of nowhere next to where he was working and ask if they could purchase an item of furniture. The welder was very uneasy in their presence and felt they weren't quite human. He hurried them out of the building, noting the front door was still locked...!

Thoroughly unsettled, he decided that was enough for one night and set off for Greenfield railway station and home. This entailed a walk along Oldham road and it was eerily quiet with only intermittent street lights to guide his way. He suddenly heard a deep growl and howling from behind him and became aware he was being stalked by a bulky 'thing' on two legs. He quickened his pace and arrived at the deserted station 20 minutes early for his train. Once there, he was horrified see the 'thing' in the field overlooking his position, which he described as at least seven feet tall, stocky, with the face of a German Shepherd dog but most definitely bipedal. He dived into a nearby pub and only emerged as his train was imminent and by then the creature had vanished..."

This may be fiction, but have to say I like the understated Fortean narrative that begins with the strange elderly couple who somehow entered the locked building and then glimpsing the full nature of the 'thing' that had stalked him, I do feel a fictional account would have had more of a 'big reveal' ending. For those who don't know the area well, the field it stood in was essentially the edge of the Pennines.

Any thoughts...?

Last edited:
Working in a locked warehouse/mysterious appearance of couple/wolfman on the way home - all smacks to me of inhalation of some substance that messed with his brain, to be honest. If it ever happened at all.

I know the area and a few that live there, and wile the moors above can be a bit
spooky only things I have heard were a local copper parking his land rover and grabbing
something out of the back to go look at something, only to come back and find a fox
asleep in the back and strangely reluctant to leave.
The other the husband of a woman I knew driving over the moor at night and the sky
slowly glowing green then the car stopped, he got out and after a time the glow faded
car started and he drove home but didn't see anything but the glow.
That road over the moors is the one of moor murder fame.

And apropos of not very much, it's pretty close to where the body of David Lytton ('Neil Dovestone'/The Man on the Moor) was found - in an area which was not quite as utterly remote from human habitation, or quite as mountainous, as often implied in the media at the time. (Well, I suppose it's kind of relative - but the Yukon it is not.)

Last edited:
I’ve lived in the area on and off for many years and have never heard of this. I worked in Greenfield at that time. I know the road well between Uppermill and Greenfield railway station - there’s a chunk of it with no buildings but it’s a fairly busy road, though maybe not late at night.

I have a book on Oldham hauntings somewhere, but don’t recall anything in it about a werewolf.

You mentioned the Wulver.

Shetland legend.

A Dogman who sits on a rock eating fish. (The Wulverstone?)

Very shy but has been befriended, will catch fish and leave them by your door.

There is one creature that Shetland is famed for, yet is not native.

The Picts would not have seen this beast.

Come to your conclusions

Interesting!! I've not heard this account before, and don't know enough about Me Hatwell to make a judgement. I know Greenfield station though, me and my mate were almost stranded there one night after getting on the wrong train. We got off at this place before we got even further away from home, lucky enough the last train from mancs was coming back the opposite way. I've still got a pic of me under the sign somewhere. The moors around there are rather creepy. There's a guy who seems to be a regular one Dogman Encounters Radio (YouTube) with his British Dogman accounts who says that's there's been quite a few sightings around those moors over the years.

I'm not so sure about dogmen on the UK moors, but id love to know more about the suddenly appearing strange non- human couple!! I

I've got a £5 Amazon voucher unspent, I may get her ebook. I.know the possibility of dogmen being real in UK is very slim, but I just love all things Dogman.

Just got book 1... Will get book 2 another time.

Award for longest book name that could of been simplified and thus shorter !

I know the area and a few that live there, and wile the moors above can be a bit
spooky only things I have heard were a local copper parking his land rover and grabbing
something out of the back to go look at something, only to come back and find a fox
asleep in the back and strangely reluctant to leave.
The other the husband of a woman I knew driving over the moor at night and the sky
slowly glowing green then the car stopped, he got out and after a time the glow faded
car started and he drove home but didn't see anything but the glow.
That road over the moors is the one of moor murder fame.
The green sky glow sounds like aurora borealis, a family member saw something similar years ago and it coincided with news reports that the Northern lights had been visible that night

Interesting!! I've not heard this account before, and don't know enough about Me Hatwell to make a judgement. I know Greenfield station though, me and my mate were almost stranded there one night after getting on the wrong train. We got off at this place before we got even further away from home, lucky enough the last train from mancs was coming back the opposite way. I've still got a pic of me under the sign somewhere. The moors around there are rather creepy. There's a guy who seems to be a regular one Dogman Encounters Radio (YouTube) with his British Dogman accounts who says that's there's been quite a few sightings around those moors over the years.

I'm not so sure about dogmen on the UK moors, but id love to know more about the suddenly appearing strange non- human couple!! I

I've got a £5 Amazon voucher unspent, I may get her ebook. I.know the possibility of dogmen being real in UK is very slim, but I just love all things Dogman.
Have you read Nick Redfern's books about the UK 'Man-monkey' and other cryptids from the Cannock Chase area? It includes dogma/werewolf sightings:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Diary-Strange-Sinister-Creatures/dp/1933665963

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Theres-Som...n+something+in+the+woods,stripbooks,71&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Monkey-Search-British-Bigfoot-ebook/dp/B00S0GDM4M

... plus more on his Amazon page

It does sound like Arora but what stopped the car or at least it's engine,
I don't know and it was a long time back and those old ignition systems
take some stopping.

It does sound like Arora but what stopped the car or at least it's engine,
I don't know and it was a long time back and those old ignition systems
take some stopping.
Apologies, I misread that the first time, yes that is most strange

The green sky glow sounds like aurora borealis, a family member saw something similar years ago and it coincided with news reports that the Northern lights had been visible that night
I had this happen to me. I was standing in a school car park, waiting for a school trip to return so I could pick up eldest son. It was dark, I think winter, and not super late, around 7.30 maybe, and this will have been around the year 2000. The whole sky was green towards the north. Nobody else was mentioning it, and we all stood there waiting for this coach and ignoring the fact that the entire horizon was green and strobing.

I was a bit scared either that a) the world was ending, and we were all just ignoring the fact or b) that I was the only person who could see it.

I guess it was the aurora, although why NOBODY even mentioned the fact I have no idea.

I had this happen to me. I was standing in a school car park, waiting for a school trip to return so I could pick up eldest son. It was dark, I think winter, and not super late, around 7.30 maybe, and this will have been around the year 2000. The whole sky was green towards the north. Nobody else was mentioning it, and we all stood there waiting for this coach and ignoring the fact that the entire horizon was green and strobing.

I was a bit scared either that a) the world was ending, and we were all just ignoring the fact or b) that I was the only person who could see it.

I guess it was the aurora, although why NOBODY even mentioned the fact I have no idea.
I have now twice seen the helicopter towing the geophysics platform above West Cornwall. (see "Things that are not UFOs). The first time in a minibus with six other people and the second time from a double-decker bus packed with mostly College students and on both occasions I was the only person to notice it. Not because I have some super Fortean powers but because the vast majority of people aren't paying attention to their surroundings and it just happens I found both journeys interesting and was looking out of the window...

Back