• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Urban Legend in the Making or Worrying Warning?

A

Anonymous

I got this 'chain email' this morning - named user and traceable phone number etc...!

Any ideas? I suppose we'll have to wait and see. Has all the makings of a UL, just wondering if it has any similarities to other ULs?

"want you all to pass this email on to as many people as
you know, its not a chain email, but pass it on all the same.

Right then, I got home from work last night and went round
to my best mates. The first words his mum said to me even before she said hello was "don't go into Birmingham on October 6th".

She explained to me that a woman from her work was in Birmingham on saturday afternoon, and she was in one of those cash and carry warehouses where you can buy cheap stuff, and anyway, there was an indian / asian looking man in front of
her who was struggling to get enough money together to pay
for everything in his basket, so she gave him a pound coin so he could pay the 68p or whatever he owed.

When she left the shop he was waiting for her outside. He asked her for her name and address and said that he would give her the money back, but she told him not to worry about it. He then said "Ok, you have done me a good turn today so I shall do you one back, do not come into Birmingham town centre on october
the 6th".

She didn't take much notice of him, but like me, the more she thought about it, the more she worried, so she went to the police. They took her very seriously and showed her mug shots of known islamic supporters and members of extreme groups in Birmingham, and she saw the man in the book of mugshots.

So, i'm just warning you, if you were going to go to Brum Town Centre on the 6th of October, then I wouldn't.

I wasn't going to send this because I didn't want to worry
people / look stupid when nothing happened on Oct 6th, but I thought that if I didn't say anything and something happened then I would never forgive myself, so its worth the risk of looking a bit daft. Also, the 6th of October is the England / Greece game, when there are likely to be a lot of people in town's pubs n bars watching it, so if they wanted to do something nasty, it would be a good time.

Please pass this on to anyone you think might go into Birmingham Town Centre on the 6th of October. If you don't pass this email on, you will not get bad luck, and if you pass it on to more than 5 people you won't get good luck, but you might stop someone from getting caught up in whatever supposed to be going on on October the 6th.

This is not a chain e-mail.
Take Care peeps,"

As per usual, a quick leap over to Snopes reveals the nature of this hoax...

Fairly obviously, anyone who did come into possession of such information would surely pass it on to the authorities for wider dissemination?

Never trust anything that has a greater than sign in front of it.

*imagines people copying the above message and forwarding it to everyone they know, thus creating a self-referential paradox*

Actually, this has just reminded me, about 5 years or so ago at Strawberry Fayre, a group of freinds that I knew went around wearing camoflage gear and balaclavas (this was when the IRA was high in the news). Anyway, they wandered around, waiting, until they struck gold. A girl on acid came up to them and asked, all sweet and innocent, "Why are you wearing those?", to which one of the lads turned round and said [Irish accent]"None of your f*cking business!"[/Irish accent]. She ran off crying. Not very nice, but I do kind of wish that I'd seen it. I wonder if this could have origins in something similar? I doubt it, but it would be quite funny.

I can actual say no bull that my dad was round his mates house last week so was a Police officer for some reason, and he over heard the police offcer talking about that somethink was going to happen in brum sometime between Oct 1- Oct 14. This was no joke made by my dad to me he had a very serious face on and has warned me off brum, still going up brum tomorrow night tho lol

"Ok, you have done me a good turn today so I shall do you one back, do not come into Birmingham town centre on october
the 6th".

ive just heard a suspicously similar story but this time it was an asian guy who dropped his wallet at heathrow air port the hostess type lady pickied it up but wouldn't take financial reward so they kindly gent gave her some advice to steer clear of the air port. if i remember correctly the date was the same the eighth coincidence or not ???? stay safe be lucky

Okay - sussed it. Non violent terrorism with absolutely no legal consequences. You create a network of operatives who on a given signal go around the country dropping their wallets, running out of money, selling the Big Issue etc and "returning favours" with vaguely ominous privileged information. The operatives are in no danger their victims are in no danger, no one has told a lie or commited a crime (apart from maybe a little fraud) but if your agents are numerous and convincing enough and the political climate just right you can bring a city to a standstill. Genius - Ghandi and Collins rolled into one. Yeah, okay, only joking - I think.

Back