• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Urban Legends In China

王泥喜法介

Devoted Cultist
Dear Staff and friends, I attempt to introduce a few Chinese urban legends here, and I will update them later.

Sorry, Baby (Shanghai上海)

If anyone in this forum has visited Shanghai, a central city of China, he or she may have heard about this story because it is so famous and weird.

In Shanghai, there is a famous shopping mall named Pacific Mall. The outlook and inner structure are the top-ranking styles, and it is so popular. However, just one problem, this mall is playing a song named Sorry Baby restlessly every day. This song was created by three Hong Kong singers thirty years ago and describes a love story. However, the three singers are not well-known today so why this mall insists on playing it every day.

Regarding this mystery; there is a saying that there were a church and a hospital for children a century ago. In 1937, the Japanese army conquered Shanghai and destroyed the two buildings. Undoubtedly, all the kids there were murdered. A few decades later, this place was redeveloped to be a central business district, and this mall is located at the position of the hospital.

Since this mall was built, some staff members complained that they usually heard some noises from the top floor, but this floor was locked at that time. Shortly afterwards, some people reported that they had heard a sound like baby's crying. This gossip spread quickly, and the boss of this mall decided to stay there because he did not believe this. However, the next day, in his words, he also heard what other people stated.

To solve this problem, the boss inquired a Feng Shui master. According to the master's explanation, the building's location is relatively terrible already, and it would be devastating plus this. Turing to the solutions, the master, stated all the kids were so innocent and miserable. Today, they never attempt to victimise anybody, but their sadness has nowhere to go. A possible solution is to play the song Sorry, Baby. If playing this song day and night, those kids could be comforted. After returning to Shanghai, the boss practised this suggestion immediately, and it was so effective. Nobody states there is any strange sound from that time onwards.

Zombie Event in Chengdu(Chengdu成都)

If you ask a Chinese who are interested in urban myths to list the top 10 urban legends in China, he or she is highly likely to mention this one because this is the only one which had caused a slight disturbance in the community.

Roughly 20 years ago, I just started my primary school study, and my classmates usually heard something about Zombies at that time. At first, I supposed that they were discussing Hong Kong zombie movies. However, they told me that some zombies appeared recently and started to attack residents. In contrast to the zombie movies, in their description, those zombies looked like ordinary people. At first, they probably approached the victims slowly like an ordinary passby and started to assault suddenly after getting close. Shortly afterwards, this story spread soon, and some pupils began to make up more lurid plots. I could remember that I did not dare to go to school alone. Even today, this event remains fresh in local people.

As a big fan of such stories, I attempt to get more details regarding this story but found almost nothing until recent years. Generally, there were two main statements related to hydrophobia and nuclear weapons respectively.

For one thing, a few medias believed that the origin of this legend was a hydrophobia patient. At that time, a peasant was bitten by a dog but left it without any curing. After a few days, this disease came on, so this peasant attacked her family members. In turn, those victims also represented the same. Due to lack of knowledge, some people assumed that this woman was transforming to be a zombie.

Another explanation seems more exciting but without enough proof. This explanation describes that a soldier in Northern China has been exposed to nuclear contamination, but he did not realise it. After returning to Chengdu, his skin went bad, and it seemed that he had lost his mind and was likely to attack people around him.

Last edited:
Back