• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do you think Uri Geller is......

• Absolutely genuine

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • An entertainer with no special powers

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Conman

Votes: 32 45.7%

• Total voters
Apparently he's been trying to get "critical" clips taken down down when he isn't even the copyright holder which could get him into bigger trouble.

This is the law....
Watch closely now,
Watch...
It's starting to bend...
Can you see the bend?
Watch...
It's bending
More....
It's Bending...
It's BENDING
IT'S BENDING

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 883836.stm

Spoon-bender buys Scottish island

Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller has bought a tiny Scottish island he believes has links to the pyramids at Giza and the Knights Templar.

Geller paid £30,000 for The Lamb, an uninhabited lump of volcanic rock in the Firth of Forth.

He claimed he felt a "strong instinctive urge" to buy it after reading it was for sale.

The self-proclaimed "mystifier" said he is convinced the island is one of the most significant sites in the UK.

The Lamb is the middle of three rocky islands - the others being Craigleith and Fidra - which are said to mirror the layout of the pyramids at Giza, in Egypt.

The island covers an area of just 100 yards by 50 yards.

Geller said: "I am fascinated by the connection between the pyramids and these islands.

"The connection has been known for centuries - you can read about it in a 15th century manuscript called the Scotichronicon by Walter Bower the Abbot of Inchcolm.

"So when I heard Lamb Island was for sale I felt a strong instinctive urge to buy it - and the more I delved into the history and the archaeological lore which surrounds it, the more certain I became that this is one of the most significant sites in Britain."

The owner of the island is unlikely to gain planning consent to build on it as it is part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Protection Area and has a colony of seabirds.

There are no landing facilities on the island, and access can only be gained by chartered boat - which can be hazardous as landing is only possible on the rocks.

The island was sold by Brazilian-born internet entrepreneur Camilo Agasim-Pereira, who owns the Barony of Dirleton.

He had been bequeathed it in 2002, but had never set foot on it.

The asking price was £75,000, but a figure of just £30,000 was settled on after negotiations.

"This island has links not only to the pyramids, but to King Arthur, King Robert the Bruce and to the ancient Kings of Ireland too," Geller added.

"It might seem forbidding, and it is certainly uninhabitable, but it is one of the keystones to British mythology, and I am thrilled to be its owner.

"I might need a helicopter, but I am determined to set foot on my island soon."

Amazing coincidence that this island should come up for sale and be linked to all those mystical things that Geller says, no? Really lucky he bought it, most of us would see it as a useless lump of rock (unless you're a seabird).

Go to http://maps.google.co.uk/ and type Lamb in the search box, and you get a map showing where this rock is.

(I must have sailed right past it on my cruise last autumn, but that would have been in the wee small hours when I was knocking out zzzzzs!)

Just a short jaunt from Edinburgh! Maybe Uri will set up a holiday cottage on the island.

If any three things in a line mirror the Giza pyramids and the belt of Orion, then the ring cairns at the Balnuaran of Clava about 5 miles from Inverness would also be candidates, perhaps we should tell Uri...

Timble2 said:
If any three things in a line mirror the Giza pyramids and the belt of Orion, then the ring cairns at the Balnuaran of Clava about 5 miles from Inverness would also be candidates, perhaps we should tell Uri...
Please. No! :shock:

Spoon-bender Uri Geller takes legal action in Belfast
Uri Geller
Uri Geller is represented by Belfast lawyer Paul Tweed

Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller is to issue legal proceedings in Belfast as part of his libel action against American television network CNN.

He is suing over false allegations Jackson's dermatologist Dr Arnold Klein made in an interview broadcast by CNN.

The action centres on claims that Mr Geller personally benefited financially from setting up the singer's television interview with Martin Bashir.

Mr Geller acted as Michael Jackson's best man in 2001.

Belfast-based libel lawyer Paul Tweed, who represents several celebrities, confirmed an application would be made at the Northern Ireland High Court.

Mr Tweed of Johnsons Solicitors is well known for his work with international stars.

In the past, he has represented actors Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson and singer Van Morrison.

Mr Tweed has already successfully represented Mr Geller in a number of previous libel cases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 506401.stm

Mr Tweed has already successfully represented Mr Geller in a number of previous libel cases.

Just thought I'd highlight that bit for the benefit of the thread... ;)

WhistlingJack said:

Just thought I'd highlight that bit for the benefit of the thread... ;)

Don't worry, we all know Uri would never bend the truth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 551579.stm

Uri Geller to hunt for treasure in Forth

Celebrity spoon-bender Uri Geller is to spend 24 hours on an island in the Forth searching for Egyptian treasure.

Mr Geller, 63, plans to look for ancient artefacts thought to be left by Tutankamun's sister on the Island of Lamb, which he bought last year.

He plans to use a Y-shaped twig to dowse for the treasure on the island, which he believes is linked to the Egyptian pyramids at Giza.

Afterwards he will sleep on the island in a tent on Saturday night.

It will be the first time that he has set foot on the island, which he bought last year.

British mythology

The Lamb is the middle of three rocky islands which are said to mirror the layout of the pyramids at Giza, in Egypt.

Mr Geller believes it could be the site of treasure buried by exiled Egyptian Princess Scota.

"The Lamb is one of the keystones to British mythology," he said.

"I am fascinated by the connection between the pyramids and these islands."

He added that he would ensure that the seabirds on the island would not be disturbed during his search.

He's putting his money where his mouth is, but he could have waited till the summer, it'll be absolutely freezing out there tonight. Whatever will he find with his twig, I wonder?

Uri didn't find anything (no, really) but now wants to get permission to start digging for treasure on his island. So much for conservation!

Interesting, one of Ken Russell's final projects was a movie puff piece based on Geller called Bender - sorry, Mindbender which I've never seen but is meant to be stupendously ridiculous. This doc sounds slightly more sensible.

'Spoon-bender Uri Geller was Cold War CIA agent'

Israeli magician Uri Geller, famous for his mind bending tricks on spoons was a cold war CIA operative who used his talents to "wipe secret Soviet floppy disks" and convince an unnamed Soviet leader to help the US, the British Sun newspaper reported on Sunday.

Geller, who was a close confidant of Michael Jackson, said that the CIA asked him to stop a pig's heart using telepathy but he refused because he was worried that he would be asked to do the same on a human, The Sun reported. The psychic said he only took on "positive missions" for his Cold War enablers, saying no to "dark things," according to the report.

A documentary about the Israeli telepathist's secret agent days,The Secret Life of Uri Geller- Psychic Spy? by film-maker Vikram Jayanti, was premiered at the Doc/Fest in Sheffield, England last week. The Sun quoted the director Jayanti in its report and brought to light other intriguing details from the film about Geller's secret role.

Jayanti told The Sun that when former president Jimmy Carter was elected in 1977, "One of the first things he did was to have Uri Geller give him a four-hour briefing on the Soviet psychic threat."

“America didn’t want a psychic gap and Uri was the go-to guy,” Jayanti said.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Spoo ... ent-316687

Things that make you go WTF :?:

Zilch5 said:
'Spoon-bender Uri Geller was Cold War CIA agent'

Israeli magician Uri Geller, famous for his mind bending tricks on spoons was a cold war CIA operative who used his talents to "wipe secret Soviet floppy disks" and convince an unnamed Soviet leader to help the US, the British Sun newspaper reported on Sunday.

Geller, who was a close confidant of Michael Jackson, said that the CIA asked him to stop a pig's heart using telepathy but he refused because he was worried that he would be asked to do the same on a human, The Sun reported. The psychic said he only took on "positive missions" for his Cold War enablers, saying no to "dark things," according to the report.

A documentary about the Israeli telepathist's secret agent days,The Secret Life of Uri Geller- Psychic Spy? by film-maker Vikram Jayanti, was premiered at the Doc/Fest in Sheffield, England last week. The Sun quoted the director Jayanti in its report and brought to light other intriguing details from the film about Geller's secret role.

Jayanti told The Sun that when former president Jimmy Carter was elected in 1977, "One of the first things he did was to have Uri Geller give him a four-hour briefing on the Soviet psychic threat."

“America didn’t want a psychic gap and Uri was the go-to guy,” Jayanti said.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Spoo ... ent-316687

Things that make you go WTF :?:
The suggestion that he worked for MOSSAD has more chance of sticking.

But really, he's just spamming a new BBC doc. about himself.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/new-film-says-uri-geller-was-a-spy-for-cia-possibly-mossad/

Geller cooperated with the filmmakers, and attended the premiere. But he was apparently somewhat conflicted about the result: “I didn’t realize that Vikram was going to do such a thorough job of tying all the loose ends… making that the little hints I dropped throughout my career were real,” Geller told The Independent.

A master of the, 'little hints dropping', this Uri. :lol:

The doc is on tonight, BBC2 9pm

The Secret Life of Uri Geller

Uri Geller, the controversial mentalist, paranormal expert and spoon bender, has had a life in front of the cameras, a life surrounded by controversy, a life dotted with amazing psychic demonstrations. But most people didn't know that, away from the bent cutlery and broken watches, he had been leading a second, covert, life as a 'psychic spy', working secretly, and without recognition for nearly thirty years. This 'secret life' has included work for the military and intelligence agencies on three continents - indeed, the scientists who first did rigorous research on Geller more than forty years ago (and concluded that he has a phenomenal gift) were funded by the CIA.

Now, for the first time, this incredible story is going to be explored in a new television documentary, with unique and compelling interviews from Uri himself as well as those who knew and worked closely with him.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037k0c5

There's also a clip - Uri now dresses like Tim Westwood and shows us a golden marshmallow given to him by "good friend" John Lennon who was given it by an alien.

This should be at least somewhat entertaining.

Sounds like he's gone off the rails again. Yes, I will be watching.

I like Uri Geller.
He's good value for money. :D

He may or may not be a complete bullshitter, but he's a very charismatic man who knows how to entertain. I just worry his space brothers phase might be returning and he'll go all David Icke this time.

I watched most of it (I think - Uri's mesmeric powers kept sending me to sleep).

It seemed to lack a voice, ie a presenter, to put all the stuff we were shown into context. Was this a story about Geller, or was it Geller's story about himself?

If the latter, it was pretty unconvincing. By 'zipping' his lips, or saying "You didn't hear this from me" (although he repeated one story about himself at least twice!) he attempted to maintain a mysterious profile, but in the end came across as an attention-seeker.

If you're suffering from insomnia, it's on iPlayer:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ri_Geller/

:twisted:

I liked it better than you did! Remarkable, all the way through these avuncular old gents backing up Uri's claims to a point, yet you still wonder if someone's having their leg pulled. And he's planting these spy stories then covering himself with "Of course, I couldn't possibly comment" comments liberally applied to the conversation, just enough to put doubts in your mind.

But if, for example the CIA told Derren Brown they wanted a word with him, he'd tell them it was all a trick, wouldn't he? So did Uri go along with his act, which didn't sound much different from his stage performance, because he was caught up in the allure of fame and adventure? Or did he really knock out all those radar stations before the raid on Entebbe?

Plus whoever chose the background music was having a lot of fun, wasn't he?

gncxx said:
But if, for example the CIA told Derren Brown they wanted a word with him, he'd tell them it was all a trick, wouldn't he?

That's what Derren's telling us. He's probably told MI5 that it's all real and done some work for them. ;)

gncxx said:

Yeah, some of that music seemed as though it had been lifted from Deus Ex - Human Revolution...

Mythopoeika said:
gncxx said:

Yeah, some of that music seemed as though it had been lifted from Deus Ex - Human Revolution...

Dunno what that is, but all those sci-fi TV themes sounded as if someone was taking the Mickey.

I have no idea why he'd move from a cozy part of a stable country to one that is on the edge of a war zone.
Barmy.

I have no idea why he'd move from a cozy part of a stable country to one that is on the edge of a war zone.
Barmy.
Perhaps he figured that some Loony here would decide he was an immigrant and try to do him harm.

A close call, though.

He's been here 35 years. I wonder what's brought this on?

Back