• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

USA: Police State?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is not an April Fool's joke.
The Department of Homeland Security is now seeking to extend its reach beyond its own jurisdiction.
They now require people outside the US who wish to travel to Canada, Mexico or Cuba to submit their details for pre-flight vetting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...immigration-may-have-other-ideas-7584912.html

It's simply outrageous.

Mods: I didn't know where to put this. Please feel free to relocate it, thanks.

kamalktk said:
So how does enforcement work when the airlines say "no"?

They're not going to are they? Simple enough to ban any airline that doesn't comply from flying to the US of A....

The EU have to face up to it: make it illegal for airlines to supply those details.

I knew we'd have a thread on this, somewhere.

Unb-bub-believable.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...nducts-_n_3764951.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Texas Police Hit Organic Farm With Massive SWAT Raid

Huffington Post. Radley Balko. 15/08/2013

A small organic farm in Arlington, Texas, was the target of a massive police action last week that included aerial surveillance, a SWAT raid and a 10-hour search.

Members of the local police raiding party had a search warrant for marijuana plants, which they failed to find at the Garden of Eden farm. But farm owners and residents who live on the property told a Dallas-Ft. Worth NBC station that the real reason for the law enforcement exercise appears to have been code enforcement. The police seized "17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants ... native grasses and sunflowers," after holding residents inside at gunpoint for at least a half-hour, property owner Shellie Smith said in a statement. The raid lasted about 10 hours, she said.

Local authorities had cited the Garden of Eden in recent weeks for code violations, including "grass that was too tall, bushes growing too close to the street, a couch and piano in the yard, chopped wood that was not properly stacked, a piece of siding that was missing from the side of the house, and generally unclean premises," Smith's statement said. She said the police didn't produce a warrant until two hours after the raid began, and officers shielded their name tags so they couldn't be identified. According to ABC affiliate WFAA, resident Quinn Eaker was the only person arrested -- for outstanding traffic violations.

The city of Arlington said in a statement that the code citations were issued to the farm following complaints by neighbors, who were "concerned that the conditions" at the farm "interfere with the useful enjoyment of their properties and are detrimental to property values and community appearance." The police SWAT raid came after "the Arlington Police Department received a number of complaints that the same property owner was cultivating marijuana plants on the premises," the city's statement said. "No cultivated marijuana plants were located on the premises," the statement acknowledged.

The raid on the Garden of Eden farm appears to be the latest example of police departments using SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics to enforce less serious crimes. A Fox television affiliate reported this week, for example, that police in St. Louis County, Mo., brought out the SWAT team to serve an administrative warrant. The report went on to explain that all felony warrants are served with a SWAT team, regardless whether the crime being alleged involves violence.

In recent years, SWAT teams have been called out to perform regulatory alcohol inspections at a bar in Manassas Park, Va.; to raid bars for suspected underage drinking in New Haven, Conn.; to perform license inspections at barbershops in Orlando, Fla.; and to raid a gay bar in Atlanta where police suspected customers and employees were having public sex. A federal investigation later found that Atlanta police had made up the allegations of public sex.

Other raids have been conducted on food co-ops and Amish farms suspected of selling unpasteurized milk products. The federal government has for years been conducting raids on medical marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized them, even though the businesses operate openly and are unlikely to pose any threat to the safety of federal enforcers.

Radley Balko is a senior writer and investigative reporter for The Huffington Post. He is also the author of the new book, Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces.

This story has been updated to clarify that a federal investigation found that the Atlanta police officers who raided a gay bar had made up the allegations of public sex.

Organic farms, Amish milk products, gay bars? :shock:

In similar vein earlier this month:

They killed Bambi! 15 armed agents storm animal shelter to euthanize baby deer called Giggles because of local law that forbids keeping wildlife

WISN 12 News reported on a military-style operation in July where nine officers from the Department of Natural Resources and four deputy sheriffs stormed the barn at the Society of St. Francis on the Illinois border.

Angry Cindy Schulze, the shelter's president, is planning legal action and questioned whether the raid was a good use of government resources.

She accused authorities of going 'way over the top for a little, tiny, baby deer.'

'It was like a SWAT team,' shelter employee Ray Schulze said. When he asked the officers why they had killed the fawn they told him it was down to policy. 'That's one hell of a policy,' the man replied.

The agents, heavily armed and with a search warrant, euthanized the baby deer which was scheduled to move to a proper wildlife facility the following day.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2cMzyHVxa

What we see is the corruption of power.

Not only 'power corrupts' etc., but also along the lines of a very powerful statement in , of all places, Lord of the Rings where Gandalf states that the power given by rings is according to the stature and nature of the wearer. In other words, if you give power to those attracted to the idea of exercising power over others, then you get a double whammy.

For all that both the US and UK are now passing laws by the hundred, the actual framework of justice and the checks and balances that try to prevent the misuse of power are being undermined and destroyed.

We are staring down the barrel of self perpetuating dictatorships by elites in both countries. Supported by a form of praetorian guard armed bureaucracy outside the normal rules of policing and common law to keep us personally in fear of transgressing laws we no longer understand and cannot afford to challenge.

I stress we are not there yet, but the signs are clear. Power without responsibility/accountability is always going to run out of control sooner or later.

Isn't that the very definition of the police state?

FBI interrogated man after comment about American “Police State” on Facebook

HUMBOLDT, AZ — A man says that within hours of making an impassioned post on Facebook, he was being interrogated by police and the FBI.

Blaine Cooper, 33, contacted policestateusa.com with a concerning story about how his sentiments posted on Facebook had drawn the attention of the federal government. He showed me the comment and told me that within 24-hours of posting it, he was being contacted by the police and FBI.

His colorful comment was in reference to what he believes is an “American Police State,” in which the power of the federal government is growing in a direction which may one day lead people to fight back.

Cooper, who is training to be a wild land fire fighter, said that on August 23, he was contacted by Officer Jason Kuafman of the Prescott Valley Police Department and was told that he needed to come to the police station for an interview with the FBI.

He complied with the request for an interview, which lasted 45 minutes with federal agents present. He was released after apparently being determined to not be a threat.

http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/fbi- ... -facebook/

Isn't that the very definition of the police state?

I do wonder what *precisely* was said by Mr Cooper on Facebook. There are some rather coy references to an "impassioned post" and a "colorful comment". I'm guessing it was rather more than simply "The US is becoming a police state" and without knowing what was actually said it's difficult to know whether the reaction of the authorities was quite as OTT as it seems at first glance.

There might be a hint in this:

the power of the federal government is growing in a direction which may one day lead people to fight back

If Mr Cooper was inciting violence in some way then I have rather more sympathy with the police/FBI. If not, then I would agree it is paranoid at best and "police state" at worst.

Quake42 said:
the power of the federal government is growing in a direction which may one day lead people to fight back

If Mr Cooper was inciting violence in some way then I have rather more sympathy with the police/FBI. If not, then I would agree it is paranoid at best and "police state" at worst.

Is simply making an observation a problem for TPTB? Because that just looks like an 'observation' to me.

Is simply making an observation a problem for TPTB? Because that just looks like an 'observation' to me.

Well, the point is, we don't know. The article carefully avoids quoting the Facebook post itself which makes me think that there is rather more to this story than meets the eye, not least because of the sheer volume of mental anti-Federal government comment in America, most of which seems to proceed without police/FBI interference.

It reminds me of a Guardian article a few weeks ago which made all sorts of shocking claims about a police raid on the family home due to internet searches for pressure cookers and backpacks... it subsequently emerged that the police involvement (which was not a "raid") followed a tip off from the writer's husband's former employer that their laid off employee had been searching for "pressure cooker bombs" on his work PC immediately prior to leaving his job.

There are serious questions about government surveillance of online communications but they are not helped by inaccurate and hysterical reporting.

I guess this fits here seeing as the death was ruled to be natural.

A video posted online on Friday shows California sheriff's deputies watching as an inmate with schizophrenia, who had been restrained in a chair for 46 hours, writhes on the floor of a jail cell and eventually dies.

The video, obtained by The Tribune of San Luis Obispo, Calif., shows deputies at times laughing as the prisoner, Andrew Holland, 36, lost consciousness and eventually died on Jan. 22, 2017.

His death was ruled as "natural" due to a pulmonary embolism resulting from a blot clot that traveled from his leg to one of his lungs, according to The Tribune.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/video-shows-police-laughing-as-mentally-ill-inmate-dies/ar-BBKlHPy

https://twitter.com/SLOTribune/status/974828929709199360

So the riots and looting in Milwaukee...

I am pretty sure in that tinderbox environment it would not going to take long for someone to smash a window and start looting places.

However, it sure helps when a guy dressed in the most bizarre undercover black ops gear, and who later is identified as a cop himself, starts things off by smashing the windows for the protestors...

Now, I suspect things would have escalated anyway, but it can certainly help get things going and turn the attention off of a police brutality murder of a civilian to a wider riot situation that discredits the #blacklivesmatter movement.

And what is the reason for the umbrella? It is almost The Prisoner-esque in its bizarreness.

The Police Dept are saying the man in the video is not Pederson.

And there have been reports that a Predator drone is currently circling the Minneapolis.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/arti...ampaign=sharebutton&__twitter_impression=true

They would say that though.

The problem with the 'fake news' era.

The police will say it is fake news without ever needing to provide facts to corroborate it, such as evidence if Pedersen being on duty elsewhere.

And the netizens will only ever have their online sleuthing, no matter how solid their evidence, which will have no credence in the mainstream.

Sigh.

Uh, yea. At least I’ve always thought so, or at least headed that way depending on where you draw the line to define it. Plus it depends greatly on your wealth and race how much it effects your day to day life.
Seems like since 9/11 the trend has accelerated logarithmically.
But the Human Capital Stock are getting restless.
Water boils at 100 deg C.

Back