• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

USAF Pilots Struggle To Explain Mystery UFO Seen 'Falling From Sky'

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A UFO seen plummeting towards Earth has left US Air Force bosses baffled.

Footage, filmed in Anchorage in the US state of Alaska, shows what looks like two plumes of black smoke trailing a mysterious object, which appears to have a light guiding its way.

A variety of military aircraft operate out of the nearby Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, but spokeswoman Erin Eaton said the sighting was nothing to do with them. "That doesn't look like any of our planes," she said.

Officials from the Federal Aviation Administration added that the object in the video was not an aircraft, and that it hadn't received any reports of aviation issues at the time.

But some experts still think a plane is the likeliest explanation. Peter Davidson, director of the Washington-based National UFO Reporting Center, said that the video showed "a high-altitude jet airliner, with a contrail behind it". "It is in level flight, but because it is flying away from the camera, it appears to be falling," he said. "It is not, but parallax makes it look that way."

Adonus Baugh, who shot the video, was not convinced.

The 18-year-old said the object looked like something coming into the atmosphere.

"Me and my mom were just coming in to the parking lot of our house and that's when I noticed that something was falling from the sky," he said. "I thought it was a meteor or something coming into the atmosphere. I actually never saw something like this before."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/air-force-pilots-struggle-explain-14187078

maximus otter

Here's why it isn't an object arriving from space. The minimum speed for an unpowered object (such as a meteor, or comet) arriving at the top of the atmosphere is 11 kilometres per second. This object is travelling much slower than that. We can see that the object is within the Earth's atmosphere, because it has a dark vapour trail which is visble by contrast against the glow of the sky. If this vapour trail were beyond the atmosphere it would be invisible against the darkness of outer space, so would not be visible in this way. Any object moving at 11 kilometres per second would be moving visibly in the sky, not just hanging there.

But wait- maybe the visible vapour trail is decelerating the object, so that is slower than 11 km/s? Nope - the vapour trail is behind the object, so it must be accelerating it. This object is flying under power, at a speed much slower than re-entry speed- in other words it is an aeroplane.

It's a contrail, for fuck's sake. If the FAA can't realise this, that reflects badly upon them.
More likely is that it's either a secret aircraft, or an aircraft on a flight that has a secret purpose so they don't want to admit it exists.

But wait- maybe the visible vapour trail is decelerating the object, so that is slower than 11 km/s? Nope - the vapour trail is behind the object, so it must be accelerating it.
This is not correct, a burn from a retro-rocket would produce vapour in front of the object, however that vapour would almost immediately be behind the object since the object is moving forward. The simplest (and juvenile humor) anology would be farting while running backwards, you immediately run through the fart cloud.

Nope; when did you ever see a rocket trail blown behind a rocket? The propellant needs to be fast in order to carry momentum away from the rocket, and will reach an equilibrium with the atmosphere some considerable distance in front of the craft.

Here are two Space-X rockets making a landing; as you can see the plume is definitely in front of the rocket. There is a faint smoke trail that goes off to one side, but we don't see that in the OP's video either.
space-x.png

More likely is that it's either a secret aircraft, or an aircraft on a flight that has a secret purpose so they don't want to admit it exists.
It's certainly an odd vapour trail for a plane, which does rather suggest something experimental.

Nope; when did you ever see a rocket trail blown behind a rocket? The propellant needs to be fast in order to carry momentum away from the rocket, and will reach an equilibrium with the atmosphere some considerable distance in front of the craft.

Here are two Space-X rockets making a landing; as you can see the plume is definitely in front of the rocket. There is a faint smoke trail that goes off to one side, but we don't see that in the OP's video either.View attachment 15814
The image shows the rockets moving slowly, not as shown in the article. This makes it misleading.

The propellant is ejected very fast, but as you point out it reaches equilibrium. However the object has not reached equilibrium, it is still moving very fast in the direction of that equilibrium point. It's the equivalent to blowing smoke while running, the blowing out will slow you down (very slowly in this case), but you are moving faster than the slowdown effect. So there is a smoke that forms in front of you, but the smoke is almost immediately is trailing your path as you run through it.

Last edited:
I'm getting 'video unavailable'.

It's certainly an odd vapour trail for a plane, which does rather suggest something experimental.

As I mentioned, I can't get the video.

However, The colour of a contrail seen from above is black. And also appears black when viewed at certain times of day, particularly when the Sun is below the horizon.

If anyone has another way to view this I would like to see it.

The image shows the rockets moving slowly, not as shown in the article. This makes it misleading.

The propellant is ejected very fast, but as you point out it reaches equilibrium. However the object has not reached equilibrium, it is still moving very fast in the direction of that equilibrium point. It's the equivalent to blowing smoke while running, the blowing out will slow you down (very slowly in this case), but you are moving faster than the slowdown effect. So there is a smoke that forms in front of you, but the smoke is almost immediately is trailing your path as you run through it.
Don't forget that the rocket's plume forms a shockwave in front of the rocket, which would tend to displace the exhaust plume to the side. The exhaust would expand away from the rocket as it passes by; what we see in the video is a pair of coherent exhaust trails, which is consistent with a two- or four- engined plane and looks nothing like a rocket.

Its a wet leaf sliding down the camera lense. lazy fortean me

If I farted whilst running backward ... and it was carefully filmed - then placed on youtube - I think Int21 would still struggle to see it - because his computer is Justified and Ancient and ready for replacement (minor hint here). I would however successfully create the aroma of the News Channel that promoted this. It seems so long as you can attribute it to somewhat else, any crap can be put forward without engaging the brain.

This is a very interesting video of a 'propulsive re-entry' that shows what a rocket-assisted atmospheric entry really looks like. I've never seen anything like this before, and it is fascinating and quite different to how I imagined it. At 70km the rocket fires its engines, and creates a very large bow shock in front of the craft which fills with hot gases. There then bend behind the ship. making a very large and irregular, luminous plume. The braking effect seems mostly to come from the inflation of the bowshock by the hot gases, so that ths shock front seems to act like a giant parachute.

It may not be quite how I imagined it, but it is also nothing like the video in the OP.

This is a very interesting video of a 'propulsive re-entry' that shows what a rocket-assisted atmospheric entry really looks like. I've never seen anything like this before, and it is fascinating and quite different to how I imagined it. At 70km the rocket fires its engines, and creates a very large bow shock in front of the craft which fills with hot gases. There then bend behind the ship. making a very large and irregular, luminous plume. The braking effect seems mostly to come from the inflation of the bowshock by the hot gases, so that ths shock front seems to act like a giant parachute.

It may not be quite how I imagined it, but it is also nothing like the video in the OP.

So the reactive force of the rocket motor trying to push the rocket upwards has little to do with it ?

p.s You are partially correct about my computer. But it isn't the machine, it is the software.

And I have no wish to keep having to buy updated items whenever Microsoft et al want to screw more money from me.

I have my Linux machine ready to go.

Obviously the force of the rocket contributes to the deceleration, but in most atmospheric entries on Earth, the bulk of the deceleration comes from aerobraking. This is not true on the Moon, by contrast, and even on Mars the thin atmosphere requires a very large parachute (or a very large shockwave).

If your re-entry rocket is too powerful and too tightly focused, it might only cause a small shockwave and that will reduce the efficiency of the re-entry.

Back