• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's a nifty little Application for those of us who want to monitor the temperature of the CPU, GPU, Memory, chipset and hard drives on our PCs. It's designed for Dell-type machines, but works well on every PC I've tried it on (usual warning caveats apply). You may even be able to control your fan speeds.

You can find it Here in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

PDF Download is a Firefox plugin which lets you decide just what to do with a .pdf link - download it, view it as a .pdf inside or outside your browser or view it in HTML
thumbup6ly.gif

Rrose_Selavy said:
Does anyone know of a freeware prog that does some/most/all that this can?

http://www.fineprint.com/products/finep ... efits.html

-

I don't know of any freeware, but I've been using a fantastic program called Clickbook for about nine years. It's never let me down, and it can do wonderful things with booklets and printing multiple sheets on a page (you'll save the cost of the App by the paper you save).

You can find it here...

http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/clickbook/

This does the same thing (I've not used it) - but is shareware (30 days free trial)...

Document Printer (docPrint) 2.0

This Windows printer driver controls printed output, and supports printing 2, 4, 6, 8 or 16 pages on a single sheet of paper, it also supports scale A3 paper to standard letter or A4 paper sizes. Document Printer docPrint can also convert any printable document into 20 graphic formats, and Microsoft Word, Adobe PDF, HTML or Excel files. It supports watermarks.

Some of you people out there might find Portable Apps suite a useful thing to have, especially if you travel about or use different PCs a lot:

Portable Apps said:
Now you can carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind.

PortableApps.com provides a truly open platform that works with any hardware you like (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). It's open source built around an open format that any hardware vendor or software developer can use.

The Portable Apps Suite™ is free. It contains no spyware. There are no advertisements. It isn't a limited or trial version. There is no additional hardware or software to buy. You don't even have to give out your email address. It's 100% free to use, free to copy and free to share.

Free (assuming you've got a thumb drive or whatever to run things off), and packed with handy things:

Portable Apps said:
Development

* Nvu Portable & KompoZer Portable - The easy-to-use Nvu web editor
* XAMPP - Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin and more in an integrated package

Games

* Sudoku Portable - the wildly popular and addictive puzzle game

Graphics & Pictures

* GIMP Portable - Photo and Image Editor

Internet

* FileZilla Portable - the full-featured FTP client
* FireFTP Extension (for Firefox) - a lightweight extension
* Gaim Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in an easy-to-use interface
* Miranda IM Portable - chat with AOL, MSN and Yahoo users in a customizable interface
* Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition - the award-winning web browser that's safe and secure
* Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition - the handy email client
* Nvu Portable & KompoZer Portable - the easy-to-use webpage editor
* PuTTY Portable - lightweight telnet and SSH client
* Sage Extension (for Firefox) - A full-featured RSS extension

Music & Video

* Audacity Portable - A simple audio editor and recorder
* VLC Media Player Portable - An easy to use media player that plays most audio and video formats

Office

* AbiWord Portable - a lightweight word processor compatible with Microsoft Word files
* Lightning Extension (for Thunderbird) - A lightweight extension for your calendar and tasks
* Mozilla Sunbird, Portable Edition - Calendar and task management with a familiar interface
* Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition (Address Book) - Email client's built-in address book with import/export functions
* OpenOffice.org Portable - word processor, spreadsheet, presentations with Microsoft compatibility
* Sumatra PDF Portable - a lightweight PDF viewer

Operating Systems

* Mac-on-Stick - Run Mac OS Classic 7 portably

Utilities

* 7-Zip Portable - File archiver and compressor
* ClamWin Portable - Antivirus on the go
* KeePass Password Safe Portable - Secure, easy-to-use password manager
* PortableApps.com Backup - integrated backup utility bundled with the platform
* PortableApps.com Menu - integrated start menu bundled with the platform

Thanks for your suggestions Arthur & Frobush - actually I've just downloaded and installed the free version of Fineprint - non registered it just prints a small footer on each page - that's mostly acceptable for occasional personal use so I will see how it goes - just printed 4 web pages on one A4 sheet - - neat. - try it

-

WhistlingJack said:
Snipshot is a handy online image editor
That does look useful - I've recently cleared my hard-drive of another image editor, and snipshot looks like it can much the same job online.

As far as image-editors go, I use a combination of Paint.NET, The GIMP, and for screen snapshots I use MWSnap. Fortunately most of what I need to do with given graphics I can do with the program I use to make them in the first place.....Blender.

BTW, is anyone here familiar with Freemind? I've been using it to catalog and sort my knowledge base.....

MercuryCrest said:
BTW, is anyone here familiar with Freemind? I've been using it to catalog and sort my knowledge base.....

I use Freemind on a daily basis for work-related mind mapping. It lacks the advanced features of Mind Manager, but it doesn't cost £200-odd for a licence.

God bless Sourceforge :yeay:

Can anyone recommend a freeware ebook reader (if it's available as a Firefox plugin, that would be even better ;))?

Re: Ultimate Boot CD

ArthurASCII said:
If you've ever had problems booting your PC (or even if you haven't....yet), you really ought to get hold of The Ultimate Boot CD.

It's free (or cheap if you've got some spare dosh), and is chock full of useful tools to help revive a bollixed PC, or recover data.
Arthur, I just wanted to tell you that I love you for telling me about that :D. I've been meddling with things I know too little about, and thought I'd killed my laptop. Used the UBCD4Win I made after your post, and have got it all working nicely again Thank you! :yeay:

Re: Ultimate Boot CD

myf13 said:
ArthurASCII said:
If you've ever had problems booting your PC (or even if you haven't....yet), you really ought to get hold of The Ultimate Boot CD.

It's free (or cheap if you've got some spare dosh), and is chock full of useful tools to help revive a bollixed PC, or recover data.
Arthur, I just wanted to tell you that I love you for telling me about that :D. I've been meddling with things I know too little about, and thought I'd killed my laptop. Used the UBCD4Win I made after your post, and have got it all working nicely again Thank you! :yeay:
I'm SO pleased.

Threads like this are brilliant for sharing useful info. I've benifitted many times from advice, hints and tips that I've found here.

Rrose_Selavy said:
One of those utils so basic and useful you wonder why stupid MS never get round to incorporating it.

PrintFolder: Print or save a list of files in a folder. and it's free.

http://www.no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

-

Us old hands simply open a DOS window and type:

tree > mydirectory.txt
print mydirectory.txt

(where "mydirectory" is the name of the target folder)

Or, you can add a print option to the right-click context-sensitive menu. I can't quite remember how to achieve this at the moment (too much Shiraz), but if you need the info, I'll try and point you in the right direction.

ArthurASCII said:
tree > mydirectory.txt
print mydirectory.txt

My apologies for the pedantry, Arthur, but actually

Code:
tree /f

would be required to list the files.

PB (another old DOSser)

Brown_Forever said:
ArthurASCII said:
tree > mydirectory.txt
print mydirectory.txt

My apologies for the pedantry, Arthur, but actually

Code:
tree /f

would be required to list the files.

PB (another old DOSser)

Pedantry rocks! I would be lost without it. Truth be told, I always use a little App to print directory listings - I haven't used a command line for ages :)

Most of my recent experience with command lines has been courtesy of the Windows Recovery Console :( .

I have an old version of a directory listing printer called ExpPrint installed on one of my machines. The latest version is available here. The app is shareware (£7 to register), but the unregistered version appears to be almost fully functional, the only limitation being that you are unable to save and restore settings.

PB

Aimed mainly at kids, but this sounds interesting:
Free tool offers 'easy' coding
By Jonathan Fildes
Science and technology reporter, BBC News

A free programming tool that allows anyone to create their own animated stories, video games and interactive artworks has been developed.
Primarily aimed at children, Scratch does not require prior knowledge of complex computer languages.

Instead, it uses a simple graphical interface that allows programs to be assembled like building blocks.

The digital toolkit, developed in the US at MIT's Media Lab, allows people to blend images, sound and video.

"Computer programming has been traditionally seen as something that is beyond most people - it's only for a special group with technical expertise and experience," said Professor Mitchel Resnick, one of the researchers at the Lifelong Kindergarten group at MIT.

"We have developed Scratch as a new type of programming language, which is much more accessible."

Child's play

The explosion in broadband connectivity has fuelled the growth of websites that offer rich media experiences, including video and animations.

"These days, kids interact with all kinds of dynamic things on screen but it is usually a one-way street - they are usually interacting with things that other people have created," said Professor Resnick, who also invented Lego Mindstorms, a robotics toolkit often used in teaching.

"With Scratch we want to let kids to be the creators. We want them to create interesting dynamic things on the computer."

The program works by making the act of creating a computer program more like building with Lego bricks.

"Kids make programs by snapping blocks together," said Professor Resnick, whose position is in part supported by the toy company.

Objects and characters, chosen from a menu and created in a paint editor or simply cut and pasted off the web, are animated by snapping together different "action" blocks into stacks.

"They don't have to worry about the obscure punctuation and syntax common in most programming languages," he said.

Each block contains a separate command, such as "move" or "play drum" and each action can be modified from a drop-down menu. Blocks can only be stacked if they fit together.

So, for example, if someone wanted to animate a cat walking across the screen they could modify the move block to tell the cat to walk forward 10 steps.

If they then wanted the cat to bang a drum as it walked, they could stack the play-drum block underneath, choosing a sound for the instrument and how long each beat should last.

Other actions, such as speaking, changing colour or triggering music, can then be added to complete the animation.

Mix and match

Scratch is inspired by the method hip hop DJs use to mix and scratch records to create new sounds.

"With Scratch, our goal is to allow people to mix together all kinds of media, not just sounds, in creative ways," said Professor Resnick.

"We want people to start from existing materials - grabbing an image, grabbing some sound, maybe even bits of someone else's program and then extending them and mixing them to make them their own."

Digital creations can then be shared on a site where users can watch other creations and even borrow elements from other Scratch projects to act as raw materials for their own.

"Kids like to share stuff on the web and I think that is a very strong element of Scratch," said Professor Nigel Shadbolt, of the University of Southampton and President of the British Computer Society (BCS).

He believes that it will be a useful tool for teaching children about computational thinking and enthusing "the next generation" of IT professionals.

"The thing that's very difficult for children encountering programming for the first time is that it is very unforgiving," said Professor Shadbolt.

"A program doesn't congratulate you for the 90% that you got right. It fails for the 10% you got wrong. So an environment where you are essentially assembling components that can only be configured in set ways takes some of that hardship away."

And for those that want to get stuck into something that looks more like traditional code there are sites like HacketyHack.

The site teaches children to code in a language called Ruby. There are seven free lessons, including one that allows them to develop a blog with just six lines of code.

"All of these environments are about getting kids to approach the world in a systematic and a structured way," said Professor Shadbolt.

Scratch is now available to download for free and works with both Apple Macs and Windows PCs.

A version of the tool is also currently being developed for the XO laptop, designed by the One Laptop Per Child Project.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6647011.stm
http://scratch.mit.edu/
(But at the moment, there is a notice saying:
Due to recent news coverage of Scratch (in BBC News, Boston Globe and digg.com, slashdot), the website is receiving a large number of requests, so our server is experiencing problems.

Please try again later to see the full Scratch website. You can try it now, but be aware that response might be very slow.

For now, you can download Scratch software, watch an introductory video about Scratch, or read background information about Scratch (creating, learning, and programming).)

Thanks Rynner - brilliant find! I've downloaded the app and am playing around with it even as I write.

Autoruns

If you REALLY want a comprehensive list of ALL of the startup autorunning odds and sods on your PC, download and be amazed by Autoruns.

Here's a quote:
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them. These programs include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. You can configure Autoruns to show other locations, including Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP.

Autoruns' Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system. Also included in the download package is a command-line equivalent that can output in CSV format, Autorunsc.

You'll probably be surprised at how many executables are launched automatically!

Autoruns works on all versions of Windows including Windows XP 64-bit Edition (for x64) and Windows Server 2003 64-bit Edition (for x64).

Magnificent :yeay:

Anyone going to try this..?

Apple announces Windows browser

Apple has launched a version of its web browser Safari for Windows, competing head to head with Microsoft's Explorer and Mozilla's Firefox.
Chief executive Steve Jobs said Apple "dream big" and wanted to expand the 4.9% market share Safari enjoys.

Mr Jobs was speaking at a conference of developers for Apple products in San Francisco, California.

He said Safari was "the fastest browser on Windows", saying it was twice as fast as Internet Explorer.

A test version of Safari 3 for Windows XP, Vista and Apple Macs running OSX, is available for download from the Apple website. Apple is hoping to replicate the success of iTunes, which has proved enormously popular on both Macs and Windows machines.

"We think Windows users are going to be really impressed when they see how fast and intuitive web browsing can be with Safari," said Mr Jobs.

Mr Jobs used the conference to lift the lid on new features of its forthcoming operating system (OS) for Macs, called Leopard.

Stacks desktop

He said the OS has 300 new features and demoed 10, including a new organisational system for the desktop called Stacks and a new folder system which lets users browse files and applications visually, just as music lovers can browse album covers in iTunes.

He also unveiled Quick Look, a feature which lets users preview files, such as movies, photos and documents, without having to open up a related application. For example, users will be able to preview a movie file without having to open up QuickTime.

Leopard is due for release in October and will cost $129.

JupiterResearch analyst Michael Gartenberg said the new features would give developers "the tools to create the next generation of applications".

Writing on his blog, he said: "Apple has once again taken their platform to the next step and given developers the framework they need. It also looks and feels really cool and perhaps that's even more important."

Mr Jobs also gave the greenlight to third-party development of new applications for its forthcoming iPhone mobile phone.

In a u-turn from a previously stated policy, he said developers would be able to build web applications for the device that "extend the capabilities of iPhone... but keep the iPhone secure".

Web standards

Instead of having to test each and every new application themselves, Apple will allow developers to build web applications for the phone which run inside the device's web browser Safari and which were built on existing web standards.

Games giant Electronic Arts were also on stage to announce a series of titles that would be released for the Mac.

The latest Harry Potter game, Battlefield 2142, Tiger Woods, Need for Speed Carbon and Madden are all to be released for the plaform, in major boost to gaming on Macs.

Games legend John Carmack, of Id software, also announced that the firm was working on an un-named project for Apple Macs, as well as other major platforms.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6742439.stm

Safari was notoriously "buggy" when first released (Ihaven't used it for quite a while though).
Personally, I'm perfectly happy with Internet Explorer.

Simple OCR

If you need to extract the text from a scanned document or a TIFF image file, try SimpleOCR. It's 100% free and does a good job of character recognition. It might save you hours of typing.

Back