• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Apple patches Safari 3 security holes with 3.01
By Jack Schofield / Apple/ Internet 04:23pm

Congratulations to Apple! Having released an insecure browser for Windows, it has raced to patch some holes, and version 3.01 is already available.

According to Apple's release note, 3.01 fixes a command injection vulnerability, an out-of-bounds memory read issue, and a cross-site scripting vulnerability.

The Safari download is at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

It will not be a big surprise if 3.02 follows because Safari is "in play" (at least for now) and Apple needs to protect its reputation for security.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/ ... h_301.html

The comments are good for a laugh!

But I still think I'll delay trying Safari until it's out of Beta...
(I am finding IE slow recently)

Want to *ahem* 'mirror' a website? HTTrack Website Copier will do the job - and it's free!
thumbup6ly.gif

rynner said:
Aimed mainly at kids, but this sounds interesting:
[For now, you can download Scratch software, watch an introductory video about Scratch, or read background information about Scratch (creating, learning, and programming).)

Thanks Mister! Been having fun with Scratch for a while now...

Ok. For those with more expertise than I:

How good is the free-edition of AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/?

I keep it well up to date and it has served me fine for about a year but on Friday it detected a worm (which is good) but failed to get rid of it. Ultimately, the worm turned off parts of AVG (notably email protection), and prevented my network and internet access. After everything i had to reformat the computer and start from new again.

I chose to use it because of the 'free-ness' after my Norton Trial expired. Was this unwise? I only use the windows built-in firewall. Should i perhaps go for something more?

(edit: I use firefox and normally can solve any nasty problems with Crap Cleaner and Hijack This. Whatever this beasty was, it kept being recreated despite me deleting all traces out of the registry and turning off the system restore facility.)

AVG is a good all orund freebie Virus killer. I recommend the free Zone Alarm for your firewall. Windoze firewall is only a one-way firewall unless you are running Vista.

Do you have the name of the virus that "knackered" your PC? If so, post it and I'll do some digging around for a fix.
Meanwhile, try starting your PC in "safe mode" and running a virus check. That'll often solve the problem.

ArthurASCII said:
Do you have the name of the virus that "knackered" your PC? If so, post it and I'll do some digging around for a fix.
Meanwhile, try starting your PC in "safe mode" and running a virus check. That'll often solve the problem.

That's kind Arthur. I did quite a lot of digging before giving up. I'm afraid i don't have the details to hand now. (IIRC) It did involve lsass.dll but didn't seem to actually be the Sasser worm - which - if i recall, i had patched or run a wizard for killing.

What do you mean by a 'one way' firewall? I'm running XP

I also recall several attempts to use LSP-fix (http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm), because removing the infected .dll file resulted in my internet connection not working (winsock2?).

It didn't help anyway, as a restart saw the files recreated despite my better efforts.

theyithian said:
What do you mean by a 'one way' firewall? I'm running XP

The XP firewall makes a fairly decent attempt at stopping people from the outside getting at your PC but does nothing to stop malicious worms from using your PC to broadcast your keystrokes, personal information etc to whoever wants them, or using your PC as a dumb clone to spam all and sundry.
The firewall in Vista has been expanded to a two way firewall to address this problem.

I see. Thanks.

I will think about giving the ZoneAlarm firewall a test-drive but i recall in the past having difficulties (probably due to my own lack of knowledge) due to connecting to the internet through another computer on a home network.

I'm quite sure they're summountable.

theyithian said:
I see. Thanks.

I will think about giving the ZoneAlarm firewall a test-drive but i recall in the past having difficulties (probably due to my own lack of knowledge) due to connecting to the internet through another computer on a home network.

I'm quite sure they're summountable.
I used to use Zone Alarm, but apparently the performance of the new version isn't up to much, unless you use a paid for version. So, at the moment, I'm using the Kerio Firewall, free version, now issued by, Sunbelt.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/Download/

The trial version, converts to a free version, after 30 days. Seems to do the job. I'm still using AVG, although I'm now running Ad Aware 2007, too and give Spybot S&D a run, every so often.

I have a 12 year old son, so the computer's contents are a constant source of surprise to me.

Zone Alarm recently started playing up for me, so I've been giving Comodo a whirl. Seems to be ok so far, and I read some decent reviews of it. They also appear to offer Anti-Malware and AntiVirus, along with a couple of other bits, all of which are free.

This is a really useful utility I found...

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/

It scans your computer and finds updates for any software you've got installed.

I thought I was pretty thorough at keeping my system updated, but on the first run the program found newer versions of Java, Quicktime, Firefox, my video driver, printer driver, soundcard driver etc.

I run it about once a fortnight and it usually discovers one or two things...essential, IMO.

CarlosTheDJ said:
This is a really useful utility I found...

http://filehippo.com/updatechecker/

It scans your computer and finds updates for any software you've got installed.

I thought I was pretty thorough at keeping my system updated, but on the first run the program found newer versions of Java, Quicktime, Firefox, my video driver, printer driver, soundcard driver etc.

I run it about once a fortnight and it usually discovers one or two things...essential, IMO.

Watch out for that! It's doing some weird sh*t. It's sending your personal details somewhere!

All your applications should auto update if they need to when you use them. This is doing something naughty!

EDIT - it is doing what it says it does - it's just doing a few other things too!

EDIT EDIT - hey look at this...

Privacy Policy
The Update Checker will not send any personal information back to filehippo.com. The only information collected is a list of programs and their versions, along with the operating system details to help with processing. Additionally none of this is linked to your IP address and the logs are deleted after processing.

Alternate Frobush Privacy Policy
The Update Checker will send your personal information to somewhere but not filehippo.com. The only information collected is a list of programs and their versions, along with the operating system details to help with processing and personal monetary gain. Additionally none of this is linked to your IP address and the logs are deleted after processing so as soon as you click on the 'OK' link you are f*cked and can't do nothing about it.

Send me all your personal details and I promise not to do anything bad with them. Promise.

A great app for anyone with a huge and rambling Windoze start menu "all programs" list (and owing to games and stuff mine used to take up the whole screen, literally) is Tidy Start Menu. It takes all of the progs and lets you subdivide them into one of a handful of categories, and makes it very easy to do so as well. It also finds redundant entries and kills them off if you ask it to. Also lets you control what programs appear on the menu for other users. Comes in pro and free versions - I've got the latter and it does the job perfectly well.

Sketchup V6

For a really fun, easy to use 3D drawing program, download Google Sketchup V6.

I guarantee you'll be amazed at how easy and intuitive it is to use.

And it's FREE!

**edit** There are versions for both Windows and Mac OS

The BBC have been having problems with their 'Listen Again' streaming over the past week or so - this simple site avoids their site completely and gives various ways to link and/or listen to the stuff you've missed...

BBC Radio 'Listen Again' Streams

Online Image Resizer - nothing to install!

Shrink Pictures

It will shrink pictures on your PC ready for uploading (it only hosts them for 2 hours so you have to copy the resized image back to your hard drive - then host it on FotoPale, ImageShed or ItsyBitsyPIC or wherever).

----

Just hit the BROWSE button and choose a pic off your PC, choose CUSTOM (typing 400 in the box - it's the MOD max!), and BEST QUALITY image.

(You can add FX too, but you are rubbish and possibly an idiot - a girl even - and don't know what you are doing at the best of times so ignore this option. Stick to knitting or something. Bless.)

It'll shrink your image so it's not bigger than 400 pixels max in the x or y. Then just copy it back to your PC (RIGHT CLICK - SAVE IMAGE AS) and host as usual.

Snipshot does that and more, while Imagevenue will automatically re-size any images that are too big.

Is anyone aware of an utility that'll automatically put the correct file length info in mp3 tags? I've managed to download a number of files where the length is clearly wrong, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life correcting them... :?

WhistlingJack said:
Imagevenue will automatically re-size any images that are too big.

How does it know what is too big? :shock:

I use MixCraft for messing with sound files - though it's not free (about $50 or so - I went the local library and borrowed it for a quid and forgot to remove it off my PC afterwards - oops).

You could try Audacity which IS free and lets you alter tempo and pitch and mess and mix with audio and stuff and might give the correct details if you just lob in an mp3 and save out again (drag and drop - save as etc). Actually - why does it matter that the info is wrong anyway?

EDIT - edited to make it clearer about what I was like saying and stuff and removed lots of them there errors and bad English and things - well, this could be useful for everyones. Init.

I don't know - but it does! :shock:

Thanks for the Audacity tip, Fro - I'll give it a go ;)

I'm not sure if SUPERAntiSpyware has already been mentioned, but it's a good freeware utility and it even picks up the ad cookies my ISP persists in loading... :roll:

Anybody know of any good (free or very cheap preferred) software that will convert RMVB format video to AVI?

Has the tech help gone AWOL again?

tony_carson said:
What happened to the tech help thread that was stickied?
Inactive for to long I suppose (although a couple of people have posted help-type stuff on separate threads).

Back