• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I don't know what happened to Tech help - IIRC it was in Website Issues, so should have been safe from the auto-prune.

I'll start another and sticky it over there.

Edit - Now done, thusly.

Do we still really need the rather meaningless poll - or is that a way to stop it being culled?

Hi all, I wondered if anybody that could, would, help me out with a problem?
I've got about three different types of anti-virus, anti spyware, flame wall stuff that's always interupting my browsing with updates, down loads and restarts.
Norton did a full system scan last night and came up with nothing. However, when I switched my pc on earlier Windows said there was a problem with my video card. When I checked it said I had 18 Kernals. I checked for a solution but nothing came up. I scaned with Norton again but they didn't detect anything. My Windows anti virus software has come up with nothing detected either.
Does anybody know how to remove them? I had them on a previous computer and IIRC had to go into a certain part of the hard drive and delete them all. Can't remember which bit though.
Many thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

More info please.

AFAIK a kernel, in computer terms, is the lowest level resource layer of an Operating System.

Next time you get the error message, write it down, EXACTLY as it appears (including punctuation and any symbols) and post it.

On a more general note, what version of Windows are you running? and what video card do you have?

Hello Arthur, thank you for your reply. :) However, you do know that I'm completely dumb when it comes to computers right?! ;)
OK, I'll try my best.
All I first got was a small pop up window saying Windows had an error and to click here to fix it. I clicked, then clicked on what the problem was. It said the problem was with the Video card (And that it had faild I think?). I clicked on the 'Find Solution' link. That's when it said I had 18 Kernals detected and there was no solution available.
As for Windows, I have Vista home basic.
I don't know what kind of video card it is. :oops: Is there a way of checking?
Thanks again Arthur, sorry I haven't really provided any new info. I guess it'll pop up when I next start the computer and I promise to write it all down. :)

ArthurASCII said:
More info please.
Next time you get the error message, write it down, EXACTLY as it appears (including punctuation and any symbols) and post it.

On a more general note, what version of Windows are you running? and what video card do you have?

I found the information! Woo-Hoo! :D

The only bit I couldn't copy and paste is the headers:

Problem
Video Hardwear error

The date, and Status (Not reported)

This is the rest:

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20071008-1316.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 84D72510
BCP2: 892E3010
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

It's just a good few years back now a friend discovered a virus on my computer, she said it was a kernal virus and you had to wipe every single one or it would start multiplying again. (I guess they're called trojans now?) So seeing the 'Kernel' word obviously had me worried.

OK, that looks like a problem with your video card. It could be the drivers, in which case reinstalling may help. Or it could possibly be a hardware problem, which may mean you need to get a new card.

The first step is to run a virus scan of the PC if you haven't already. Make sure you have the latest virus definitions from their website.

The next step is to go to the video card manufacturer's site (or the PC manufacturer's site) and download the latest version and install them.

After you've done that, and you're still having problems, we might need to get serious.

Anome_ said:
OK, that looks like a problem with your video card. It could be the drivers, in which case reinstalling may help. Or it could possibly be a hardware problem, which may mean you need to get a new card.

The first step is to run a virus scan of the PC if you haven't already. Make sure you have the latest virus definitions from their website.

The next step is to go to the video card manufacturer's site (or the PC manufacturer's site) and download the latest version and install them.

After you've done that, and you're still having problems, we might need to get serious.

Wise words from Anome.

If you are unsure what video card you have: open Control Panel, Then open Device Manager and expand the Display Adapters node. Some details about your video card should appear there.

Thanks, Arthur. Particularly for adding in the bit about identifying the video card. It's the sort of thing I do on automatic, so I didn't think to mention it.

Well, right now I have a neighbor whom I'm helping as he has just bought a new laptop....and had no choice but to get Vista. So far it seems that there is a major issue with drivers in Vista. Either it doesn't support a current one, or they're waiting to issue a patch to run said driver, or....etc.

Just about every peripheral he's had working fine in XP now doesn't work with Vista and every support page we've visited (including forums, MS support, pretty much everywhere we've checked including calling the computer support numbers and getting hung up on as soon as we iterate the problems) thus far just indicates that "Vista doesn't support that option/driver/whatever...YET."

Some of his stuff was working briefly with Vista, then all of a sudden Vista said, "NO! I don't wanna!" and now his printer, Mp3 player, wireless router, blutooth mouse, extra blutooth keyboard, etc. won't work. The drivers are currently not compatible (which doesn't explain why most of this stuff worked in the first place) with Vista and he's supposed to bide his time while whoever the hell works on a fix.

I must admit, though, that Microsoft is quick to point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista....it's everybody else's software/hardware that is having compatibility issues.....>SIGH<

My apologies for the rant, it may well be that your video card does in fact need to be replaced, but I wanted to get this crap off of my chest. Thank you, and good night.

This thread seems to have become a bucket for PC problems lately - shame.

Anyhoo, from the little information you've given, I suspect that your friend's laptop may have a problem with the USB root hub(s), but most likely, he's trying to use his old peripherals with his new machine.

As for Drivers, IMHO it's unreasonable to expect Microsoft to provide backward compatibility with ALL drivers. Most responsible hardware manufacturers have provided Vista-compatible drivers for their more recent products although some, (Logitech most notoriously) have not bothered.

Nothing lasts forever. If the USB devices are more than a year or two old, chances are your friend will need to bite the bullet and buy new ones (after checking on the device manufacturer's website for compatible drivers).

People are always quick to blame Bill, but hardware manufacturers are often guilty of failing to provide updated drivers for their products in an attempt to force users to buy new product.

Do Organizer

Treat yourself to a useful Christmas present.
Do Organizer contains an amazing array of useful information management tools for the home user. It's not free, but I've been using it for a couple of years now and I find it to be an invaluable resource.
I heartily recommend it.

Can anyone recommend a decent free photo / picture editor?

I've just removed Office 2000 from my PC and its taken MS Photo Editor with it, so I've got nothing.

I'm not looking for anything superpowered like Photoshop, just something to easily resize, remove redeye, crop etc.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Can anyone recommend a decent free photo / picture editor?

I've just removed Office 2000 from my PC and its taken MS Photo Editor with it, so I've got nothing.

I'm not looking for anything superpowered like Photoshop, just something to easily resize, remove redeye, crop etc.
Irfan viewer. Excellent photo viewer and organiser. It does some basic stuff, like red-eye reduction, too.

http://www.irfanview.com/

The Gimp. Excellent graphics editor.

http://www.gimp.org/

There are others out there, but these are v.good.

I'll second The Gimp, it's excellent, better than t'shop, some folks say.

BBCODE Editor

Sometimes, the pain of changing the colour, size of text in a post, or putting in lists etc, only to find that a slight mistake has bollixed up the entire post can be very frustrating.

I chanced across a free forum post editor the other day - It's brilliant :D

It's called Pawsoft FASS and you can download it here http://www.pawsoft.com/?p=fass/home.
Features:
Features
Post editor replicates the post editing environment in forums
Post generator automates the process of making specially formatted posts
Post preview shows your post as it will appear on forums
Configurable menus, skin colours and branding options for webmasters
Designed for use with Invision Power Board, compatible with most forum software

Requirements
Windows 98, ME, NT4, 2000, or XP
300MHz processor and 64MB RAM minimum
1MB available hard disk space
Visual Basic 6 runtimes

Nice one Arthur, that looks useful
thumbup6ly.gif

Interesting stuff about Canon - I may try that someday, when I've found time for all the other stuff i have to do!

In the meantime, an interesting quote from the CEO of Intel:

The Intel chief executive said the firm had a roadmap for five more generations of chips, over the next 10 years.

"I have no doubt we will make all the breakthroughs necessary to make the five generations happen."

He told BBC News: "Intel, as a leader, has to advance the silicon technology every generation.

"Our business model is one of very high risk: We dig a very big hole in the ground, spend three billion dollars to build a factory in it, which takes three years, to produce technology we haven't invented yet, to run products we haven't designed yet, for markets which don't exist.

"We do that two or three times a year."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7176177.stm

:shock:

Rrose, the h is missing from the begining of your link, it wont work witout it!

Lego Designer

OK. I know it's not a serious highbrow application, but LEGO Digital Designer is FREE and brilliant. It's like having the biggest set of LEGO bricks in the world at your fingertips.

Go on. Have a go at building your own vegetable lamb of Tarary, or a time machine!

Is there such a thing as a freeware program which will determine whether an audio file is mono or stereo?.

WhistlingJack said:
Is there such a thing as a freeware program which will determine whether an audio file is mono or stereo?.

Media Monkey is free, and right-clicking on a track and selecting Properties/Details will tell you whether it's mono or stereo.

It's a BRILLIANT music management App too.

Back