• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

USOs: Unidentified Submarine / Submerged Objects

Nuclear submarine 'buzzed by underwater object travelling faster than speed of sound'

A nuclear submarine was buzzed by an unidentified object – travelling under water faster than the speed of sound.

The claim came from a scientist who had been carrying out classified work on board USS Hampton.

Bob McGwier told fighter pilot turned UFO researcher Chris Lehto how the sub was passed at astonishing speed while it was “running deep and fast” in the late 1990s.

He said the encounter was confirmed by a member of the crew who was shocked by the speed of the Unidentified Submerged Object or USO.

McGwier said the crew “didn’t want to report it, didn’t want to tell anybody, didn’t want to cause any problems”.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/nuclear-submarine-buzzed-underwater-object-28645846

maximus otter

Nuclear submarine 'buzzed by underwater object travelling faster than speed of sound'

A nuclear submarine was buzzed by an unidentified object – travelling under water faster than the speed of sound.

The claim came from a scientist who had been carrying out classified work on board USS Hampton.

Bob McGwier told fighter pilot turned UFO researcher Chris Lehto how the sub was passed at astonishing speed while it was “running deep and fast” in the late 1990s.

He said the encounter was confirmed by a member of the crew who was shocked by the speed of the Unidentified Submerged Object or USO.

McGwier said the crew “didn’t want to report it, didn’t want to tell anybody, didn’t want to cause any problems”.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/nuclear-submarine-buzzed-underwater-object-28645846

maximus otter
How is that even possible?
Such a vehicle would have to displace a lot of water very quickly. It would cause massive eddies in the water and there might even be a standing wave ahead of it.

Such a vehicle would have to displace a lot of water very quickly. It would cause massive eddies in the water and there might even be a standing wave ahead of it.
Water is 1000 times denser than air and the speed of sound underwater is about 3,300 mph, hence why whales can hear each other over vast distances:

https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/sound01/background/acoustics/acoustics.html

The story sounds like :bs: tbh. There seems to be so much disinformation about USOs and UAPs coming out of the States right now and not much of it stand up to any real scrutiny. To my mind the US military and playing mind games with the Russians and Chinese.

That or the implication is it's not playing by the "rules" and using super-tech BS to bypass the laws of cause-effect. to me the real question is how would you even verify the speed of something like that?

reading that article again.... there's no claim any actual measures were done, just witness testimony. and even then it's people hearing weird noises.

The story does sound a bit like a tall tale.

Still, publicly admitted stats for supercavitating torpedoes list speeds of around 400 km/hour, which is about one order of magnitude from the speed of sound in water.

Who knows what may be possible with more advanced technology?

For those who don't know, the basic idea behind supercavitating projectiles/vehicles is to cover most of the object with a bubble. Usually only control surfaces, such as the nose cone or fin tips, touch the water.

In this way, friction can be reduced immensely. Effectively, the object becomes an underwater rocket. With sufficient technical improvements, it is conceivable that such projectiles/vehicles could approach the practical speed of aircraft.

Of course, no human organization admits to such capabilities yet, but we're getting there.

does that remove bow-shock effects though? to my limited understanding it doesn't. you still have to displace water, it simply changes how the displaced water interacts with the moving object?

Well, it's an active area of research, and I'm certainly not an expert on it.

However, the impression I get is that the bow-shock can be avoided or greatly minimized by "splitting" the water cleanly ahead of the bubble, and then cleanly closing it behind.

Well, it's an active area of research, and I'm certainly not an expert on it.

However, the impression I get is that the bow-shock can be avoided or greatly minimized by "splitting" the water cleanly ahead of the bubble, and then cleanly closing it behind.
How is that done? Lasers? Plasma bubble? High-powered sound? Magnets? Microwaves?

How is that done? Lasers? Plasma bubble? High-powered sound? Magnets? Microwaves?

Most of the models I've read about use the nose cone as a control surface, but I suspect that all the approaches you suggest either have been, or are being tried. The countries working on these things are understandably being quite cautious in what they reveal.

My point is that while supercavitation can't be MORE energy efficient than flight, it may turn out to be not much less so. The exact limits are not currently in the realm of human knowledge.

Thus, perhaps there may be a specific path for products of superior technology to achieve seemingly absurd underwater speeds. That's not a guarantee, but merely a possible way to achieve the seemingly unattainable without actually violating known physical laws.

maximus otter
If we assume the sub monitored said event with sonar, it might just be that the sonar reflection gave that impression - it could have been a freak of reflection or even a sneaky monitor-modify-retransmit. Something akin to phased array sonar.

I have just watched this episode of Expedition X on Discovery + about alleged UFO sighting around Catalina Island off the coats of L.A.:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14682074/

I have always been sceptical of UFO sighting being alien life forms, but I watched this episode with interest. The issue I have, as it is TV how am I supposed to know that the sightings they recorded are genuine. How do I know that the people they speak to really are the people they claim to be.

If the footage and experts are real, there do appear to be serious questions to be answered.

Ahhh thanks! Interesting read, he makes a great case for the urgency of studying USO but concedes that it's too difficult with all the warring countries, I completely agree. Maybe the UAPs are influencing human actions so that we're too busy to go looking for them? :D

Back