• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That is a reasonable hypothesis. At least some of the cupmarks I've seen might have been used for that purpose.

But others I've seen would not be very suitable for that purpose (many are oriented in the vertical, rather the horizontal plane, for instance). It is probably more accurate to say that these marks have a range of purposes and leave it at that. Archaeology nowadays tends to be more descriptive than explanatory.

That is a reasonable hypothesis. At least some of the cupmarks I've seen might have been used for that purpose.

But others I've seen would not be very suitable for that purpose (many are oriented in the vertical, rather the horizontal plane, for instance). It is probably more accurate to say that these marks have a range of purposes and leave it at that. Archaeology nowadays tends to be more descriptive than explanatory.
What you say about Archeology is real. On the other hand, there is a hypothesis that explains the cup-marks in the field of earth energies. It is proposed that they could be escape channels for energetic or magnetic currents to the surface, where they could be used for healing or shamanic purposes. In this case the presence in vertical positions would not affect the emission of energy.

BeardsLey, Felicia - A Possible Medicine-Making Stone in the Upper Tofol Drainage, Kosrae, Micronesia, Rapa Nui Journal, Vol.XIX, Nº1, pp.1-3, May 2005

This article links a rock with cup-marks to magic and medicine on that island.

Attachments

• BeardsLey, Felicia - A Possible Medicine-Making Stone in the Upper Tofol Drainage, Kosrae, Mic...pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

It is a more honest response, prior to this archaeologists have been prone to label any feature without obvious purpose a "ritual object," or "religious artifact." The concept that maybe the people of those days knew exactly how to make use of the earth's natural energies for specific reasons is unknown to them.

The U.S, Cable TV History Channel claims the spiral design is found everywhere on planet earth and asks the question why is this so ?
Probably the origin of this symbol has some relationship with areas called sacred, energetically active, used by ancient shamans as channels to access other realities. Today we would call portals or vortices. Likewise, it is possible that the phenomenon of copying occurred, that is, artists who copied those symbols without knowing their real reason. Much of ancestral knowledge has been lost over time.
In my study of 2000 articles on cup-marks or cupules, I discovered hundreds of spirals associated with these formations.

Back