• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UV & The Paranormal?

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I have been musing over what many 'psychics' say when they try to describe what they see/hear. They mostly state the the energy of these 'beings' vibrates too fast for us to witness. As far as I'm aware the lowest level of energy vibration comes from radio waves and the highest in the visible spectrum is UV. I wondered if anyone has tried using UV light in an allegedly haunted location to see if they can photgraph/video anything? It is something that I may try in the future.

there have been results of these devices being used for paranormal investigate.

I think it would be neat, I have seen them both used indoors as well as outdoors although typically with outdoor usage would be very vague results.

Paranormal State a tv show had one instance where they were using this device where a palm print was left beside a psychic, very interesting stuff

I feel it may produce some interesting results, and will post anything of interest in the future on here.

I believe John Keel noted cases of paranormal witnesses experiencing conjunctivitis. The inference being that they were exposed to uv (or higher) wavelengths that resulted in eye irritation after the fact. A detail that would someone wouldn't think to fake.

I guess if you accept there are "higher vibrational planes", it's not hard to believe that its denizens would be visible at higher wavelengths.

I am having a real problem with 'energy' and 'vibrations' at the moment. I really want big diagram of the electromagnetic spectrum to carry around so I can ask people to be more specific.

UV isn't the highest level of energy in the visible spectrum, it is radiation the wavelength of which is shorter than that of any part of the visible spectrum.

UV lights typically produce quite a lot of visible light and a bit of longwave UVA (or near UV), which is not visible but which can cause objects, such as UV reactive dyes, cat piss and your white shirt (especially if washed with detergent containing optical brighteners) to fluoresce.

If ghosts reflected or reacted to UV radiation, surely they would be clearly visible by day as sunlight contains shitloads more UV than is emitted by a 'black light' or imaging UV light .... certainly they could be 'seen' using UV sensitive equipment.

If ghosts emit UV radiation then they cold be captured easily on UV sensitive camera equipment without the need for a UV lightsource. They might also make your Grateful Dead posters, shirts and cat piss glow mysteriously at night, and indeed, if it were higher frequency UV, also cause sunburn and skin cancer.

I honestly think someone would have noticed by now.

If this 'higher vibration' thing is referring to the electromagnetic spectrum, why not x-rays or gamma radiation? And if it isn't, what is vibrating?

my first post on here. hello everyone. lizard 23s post is brilliant. thankyou for that. im fed up of hearing talk of vibrations and energy by ghost hunters. especially electromagnetic forces like those that the em detectors are meant to pick up. that stuff is also everywhere. especially in houses with any electrical wiring or copper piping or motors. pseudo science getting in the way once again by ignorance. good post lizard23. :D

Actually, it appears that you can answer a tentative query in a straightforward manner and offer someone knowledge that they previously did not possess; or you can appear to be arrogant and aloof in an apparent attempt to leave someone feeling half the size they were before they opened their mouth. I found the response from 'Coaly' to be rather antagonistic and arrogant.

I will read posts on here in the future but I certainly will not venture to ask anything.

sorry. i didn't mean to sound antagonizing or arrogant. i didn't mean you when i spoke about ignorance and being fed up of hearing. i meant people on the tele and in circles where i am. they just repeat what they see or read in papers. your question was valid and out of curiosity and genuine. i apologize about my post. it wasn't intended to be aimed at anyone on here. i love reading about this kind of thing and its good that people think about new things. but i kinda think that some ideas which dont stand up to scrutiny get in the way of proper investigations and explanations.
dont stop asking things because of two posts. sorry again. :(

It's all very polite here. I'd not heard of UV light being used before, I'd be interested to see that Paranormal State program. Might have a look on you tube later.

As for conjuctivitis, I have it at the moment!

I wish to apologise to Coaly for getting the wrong end of the stick, I feel a bit of an arse to be honest.

I realise from Lizard23's post that I really need to know a whole lot more about UV etc... before I go waving UV lights everywhere. I have a good reference book I can refer to as I know verry little about physics and stuffl ike that.

My simplistic rational was that if psychics do actually sense 'souls from the other side', then they generally state that the energy vibrations are too fast for us to detect. I kind of thought that if we could up the energy source (this is where I need to read up and understand more) then perhaps more may appear on camera/video. It doesn't appear practical to blast X-rays or gamma rays everywhere, but UV is do-able.

I apologise - I probably sounded much more dismissive than I intended, due in part to being currently surrounded by crazy, credulous hippies who seem to be ceaselessly yapping about 'energies' and 'levels of vibration' and so on without ever seeming to be able to explain quite what they actually mean by these terms - I certainly don't expect to find these metaphysical metaphor frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum (which I'm no expert on in any case).

I suppose ghosts might indeed emit minute amounts of UV (I had no idea those of us still keeping body and soul together emitted visible light, but I don't see why not - we pump out enough infrared radiation), but I still don't see what benefit waving UV lights around might be in looking for them.

Perhaps I have mistaken psychics metaphorical lanugage with literal language. When they talk of energy vibration I naturally looks to phsysics to see what they are referring to. Perhaps I am wrong in that assumption.

No, I suspect 'they' are using loose and lazy pseudo-scientific jargon in an attempt to give some validity to their charlatanry and / or brain-wrongs, or, more charitably, a sort of instinctive vocabulary to discuss concepts that cannot really be explained to those who don't have personal experience of them.

The reality of 'subtle energies' seems to be widely accepted by 'spiritual seekers' of all kinds - I'll gladly buy the man a pint who can build a machine that detects these 'vibrations' (and I make that offer not only because I feel my beer money is safe, but also because it would be great to be able to check just how aligned everyone's chakras were instead of having the four hour 'I'm more enlightened than you' pissing contest conversation that is a daily occurrence in these circles. ;) )

I'm really sorry. Confusion of mixing UV with infra red myself ! I have seen UV detection as well as Night Vision from cameras but typically the UV will not show anything as far as I have seen and more so shadows are filmed on the regular output of a digicam :(

you can find web episodes of the Paranormal States show :

http://www.aetv.com/paranormal-state/

Getting further into infra red read outs, I have seen one placed on a psychic medium as they attempted to do their work. Eventually they stated their hand was cold and the hand on the read out did read off quite a lot lower of a temp, this obviously can be done many ways in trickery however no auric type reading is seen.

Light has energy and if we were to assume when you open you chakras up using meditation, energy is supposed to go into your chakras but this is never been seen with either the naked eye or any device.

Having personally worked on opening chakras and meditation workings, I have had some interesting experiences I'll never have summed up and explained in a way I would agree with as all your personal experiences are so real to yourself and often swayed as crazy hogwash by others.

There are a few other devices that do electro magnetic waves to specific places on your head wearing some crazy head device and throwing stuff over your eyes kind of like a depravation tank

There was also one device that will measure something in the atmosphere and then attach a word to the feeling or read out. In this one episode this box was saying Priest and Demon when asked what it was once again I do not recall the name of this device either.

It basically was like a live stream of white noise without the need for playback

heres the one depravation type device I was speaking on

Ganzfield Experiment - depravation type experiment mentioned

as far as the actual box thing I could not locate its name

heres the one depravation type device I was speaking on

Ganzfield Experiment - depravation type experiment mentioned

as far as the actual box thing I could not locate its name

You could sort out a Ganzfeld state yourself I think. I remember the pictures of people with half ping pong balls over each eye, red light shining above and headphones playing white noise.

Back