• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vampire in West Chicago?

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A poster on one of our rival lists just yesterday asked if anybody knew any details pertaining to a vampire reportedly buried in West Chicago, Illinois', Resurrection Cemetery.

Scratching noises supposedly come from the grave.

I pointed out that while I'd never heard anything about a vampire buried in this very large Roman Catholic cemetery, it is already world-famous as the "accepted" burial place of "Resurrection Mary," folklore's best-known "Phantom Hitchhiker."

There do exist first-person testimonies of "Mary" observed gliding/promenading along Archer Avenue beyond the cemetery gates.

But back to our putative vampire. Are there any additional legends or stories?

A new one on me, though there seem to be a few references online.

The following stuff comes from a site that seems to be written by a ten year old.
I have silently corrected some of the annoying spellings but the sense is not much improved by that!

America's Top Ten Haunted Cemeteries

"An undead vampire is said to be buried here with all his vast treasure. Locals say he was just too old, this vampire gave up on being undead. One tale tells how he still can be heard scratching from deep in the earth or his mumbled cries heard as the sun sets.

"His vampire-bride is said to be buried here too but she is now just a ghost and her body searches for her lost head. An old story tells how she was destroyed and beheaded and her head was buried in another spot far from her body. The body can be seen roaming the cemetery and her head can be heard screaming, "Please, please, help me, help me!" "

"Ach, scream all you like, who's got my ears already!" (I made this line up)

Maybe something more helpful is out there?

Thanks, James! You came through today not only with a variant version of the "Milk, Sir!" legend but this one, too!

I'm putting you up for the Fortean Distinguished Service medal with the oak leave clusters.

Two of them, in fact.

Oh, joy! I've just received word that a cemetery in Lafayette, Colorado, reputedly contains vampire graves - that's graves, PLURAL.

In addition, ghost hunters operating in the area of the supposedly vampiric graves claim their electronic equipment fails.

ghost hunters operating in the area of the supposedly vampiric graves claim their electronic equipment fails.

well that clinches it then... must be vampires! :shock:

BlackRiverFalls said:
well that clinches it then... must be vampires! :shock:

You'll note that I wrote "reputedly," "supposedly" and "claim." :grin:

Slightly OT. Anyone else automatically think "Carl Kolchak" when reading this

Vampire in Chicago

:smokin: Well I've never heard of this one.
Where i live, there is said to be the werewolf of Converse.Converse,Tx is about 4 or 5 miles from me. Supposedly some young boy was out hunting when he waS ATTACKED BY A WEREWOLf. Sorry, the caps key was stuck.
Have not been able to find out much on the story.
Also, starting on Randolph AirForce Base,in the back of the base near the golf course, are some springs.This is the start of Woman Hollering Creek.
It got it's name because a woman was at the creek to get water and was attacked, or was yelling out a warning to others.
If you go to www.texasescapes.com, they have about the creek and some of the towns around here.

There are also a considerable number of werewolf tales form Northern Indiana, especially in the Vincennes area, which date from the period of French settlement of the region 250-300 years ago.

Although it's difficult to believe that the tales would have continued in circulation for so long without any new input to re-enforce them.

I have a passion for vampires :D :twisted:

With all the myths and legends that surround vampires, werewolfs, witches etc have mostly if not all started form tales but dont you think there has got to be graves of them somewhere right?

goth13girl666 said:
With all the myths and legends that surround vampires, werewolfs, witches etc have mostly if not all started form tales but dont you think there has got to be graves of them somewhere right?

After all these years I'm still not certain whether vampires exist or not. But one thing strikes me as reasonably clear - that whatever was involved in the so-called "Vampire Plague" which struck Central and Eastern Europe from circa 1690 to around 1750, the Slavic languages had to invent a new word - Undead - to explain it. And almost as soon as that "Plague" died out in Europe it popped up again....in the infant United States, where it continued intermittently down to the late 19th Century.

Modern embalming seems to be even more fatal to vampires than the hammer and the stake.

Im optimistic as a person and i would like to think that more people believe in lengends like these :lol:

There must be some truth to it, the stories must of started from something right?

other wise one person must of had a very brilliant imagination. :D

What makes you think many people haven't had brilliant imaginations?

Yes, stories need to start somewhere - but they can then go anywhere. As a person who lives almost entirely inside her head, I resent people telling me that stuff couldn't have been made up. Of course it could have been! I'm making things up constantly, and I'm not always aware that I'm doing it. Even when I start with something real, it needn't be fantastic for me to make something fantastic of it. I've turned a blue jay into an archeopteryx, a cormorant into a pteradactyl, strands of hair on my own head into monsters in my peripheral vision. Play the backmasking game and create Satanic (or Christian - both are equally possible) messages out of the noise of a vinyl record played backward. Project your fears and hopes and insecurities into the universe and you will find monsters and angels in plenty.

Your mind is the mediator between you and objective reality. Never, ever underestimate it.

Penny, I can oftentimes scare myself (mildly, but noticeably) by clawing my own fingers in front of my eyes. I formerly utilized this as a "get in the mood" technique when I was writing horror stories.

goth13girl666 said:
There must be some truth to it, the stories must of started from something right?

What impresses me even more is that for many, many centuries the lion's share of the world's vampire stories, beliefs and traditions originated from one single, contiguous area, stretching from ancient Assyria up through the Balkans.

OldTimeRadio said:
goth13girl666 said:

What impresses me even more is that for many, many centuries the lion's share of the world's vampire stories, beliefs and traditions originated from one single, contiguous area, stretching from ancient Assyria up through the Balkans.

I will ahev to research this one because i would love to know where the very first stories of vampires originated from.

They just fascinated me from around the age of 11, when i was heavily into horror movies :D

goth13girl666 said:
I will ahev to research this one because i would love to know where the very first stories of vampires originated from.

Check ancient Assyrian mythology and legends.

There's information on Assyrian vampires in one or perhaps even both of the Rev. Montague Summers' classic vampirism studies.

It is certainly some welcome information OldTimeRadio, thankyou very much for that. :D

Back