• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vampires

I thought Christopher Lambert was pretty darn foxy myself Helen.

That kilt looked SO good.

*weak in the knees*

I thought Alaint was NUTZ until he said that he'd had them confused.
That boy......

Mind you, I can see the connection. Connor MacLeod can nibble my neck any time.....

<cold shower time>

He like butts too, I've noticed.
Every time in both movies when he kissed a girl he squeezed her rear.:eek!!!!:

I think it's very funny. :madeyes:

TorgosPizza said:
Tang, I've gotta confess I haven't seen Blade 2 yet; however, I've never found experience a prerequisite to comment. You know I'm fully capable of mouthing off about things I know nothing about. :)

And you're right about Chewie being much cooler than Jar-Jar; still, it fits with the alien sidekick profile. I've heard this next film is going to be much better, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Have you seen Shadow of the Vampire with Willem DeFoe and John Malkovitch? If so, what'd you think? It portrayed a "what if?" real-life Nosferatu pretty interestingly. Funny, too.

If you want Torgos ill send you Blade 2 in the mail, ill email you about it later.
I have seen Shadow of the Vampire and i loved it! It was funny as hell and i loved how the recreated the look and feel of the old movie, great! :)

Aliant, I cant believe you got Blade and Highlander mixed up! LOL yeah that was a stupid mistake but the comments you made about highlander 2 where true. That movie was probably the worst sequal made in history and i think highlander 3 should of been highlander 2, it wasnt much better but atleast it left out those dumb aliens and horrific special effects.
Im still confused how u could mix the two up tho. You crack me up man! lol
Lastly i object strongly to the casting of the highlander movies! a french man playing a scot? yeah, nice accent you got there chris

Aliant, I cant believe you got Blade and Highlander mixed up! LOL yeah that was a stupid mistake but the comments you made about highlander 2 where true. That movie was probably the worst sequal made in history and i think highlander 3 should of been highlander 2, it wasnt much better but atleast it left out those dumb aliens and horrific special effects.

Im still confused how u could mix the two up tho. You crack me up man! lol Lastly i object strongly to the casting of the highlander movies! a french man playing a scot? yeah, nice accent you got there chris

Uh man...I was stupid.
BUT I was right.

I honestly don't know HOW I got Blade and Highlander mixed up.
Maybe it was all the swords?

Originally posted by tang-malow
If you want Torgos ill send you Blade 2 in the mail, ill email you about it later.

Okay, Tang; I'll check in later on tonight, mate. Thanks!

Lastly i object strongly to the casting of the highlander movies! a french man playing a scot? yeah, nice accent you got there chris

"Ah you cwoozing for ah peice ahv ahss?" Classic line. You know, I do think Lambert did a surprisingly good job in Greystoke, considering his character was taught to speak by a Belgian, Lt. Darnot (portrayed by the dude that played Bilbo in the new Lord of the Rings flick). Still, he was an unconventional choice for both roles.

Varney? Not reprinted, but it is in e-text at Project Gothamburg (sp?)

ThreeJohnsFan said:
Varney? Not reprinted, but it is in e-text at Project Gothamburg (sp?)

Thanks.

I just tried the Project Gutenberg site but their search engine doesn't bring it up... are you sure it's there?

"I'm a bit confused on the subject of vampires. I mean, I've read some things and half of them say that (1) vampires are not affected by crosses and holy water (2) if they go into the sun they wont start to really burn as in on fire burn for about three hours in the sun (3) that they have assistants that are half vampires (4) they do have reflections but you cant get a good photo (5) they can be killed other than stakes throught the heart, like bullets and (6) they aren't immortal, but full vampires age a 1/10 the human rate and their assistants age at 1/5 the human rate. The other half says the normal vampire stuff, stakes, sunlight, crosses and holy water, knots and grain, that sorta thing. And also what about the face issue? I mean I believe they probly could exist because I believe that all things are possible."
- CHRESTOMANCI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Christian images and holy things definitely ward off vampires.

(2) They cannot abide daylight ~ especially the sun's rays.

(3) They have human emissaries ~ they are not "half-vampires."

(4) They do not reflect, nor cast shadow, nor appear on film prior to exorcism. Then it is the corporeal shell that becomes visible.

(5) Bullets will not harm them. Cremation is most effective.

(6) They do not age at all. They are demonic and will not die. They will, however, face the torment of the fires of hell, along with the Devil.

For further information visit the following webpage ...

http://www.gothicpress.freeserve.co.uk/Frequently Asked Questions.htm

Transylvanian Vampire?

A man in Transylvania plunged a silver dagger into the heart of his dead mother because he thought she was a vampire.

Nicolae Mihut stabbed his own mum Anghelina through the heart the day before her funeral, according to reports from Romania.

It's alleged a local priest in the village in Transylvania, original home of Vald Tepes (to whom some attribute the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula), told him his dead mother showed the signs of being a vampire.

Nicoleae had earlier seen a cat jump over her coffin ~ a sign showing the transformation of the dead into the undead in Romanian folklore.

He also saw that his mother's lips and cheeks were tinged blood red and fearing she was still alive, called the local priest. He told the grieving son she was a vampire ~ and Nicolae followed local custom to ensure his mother didn't become zombie-like vampire.

Nicolae told Romania's Romnet press agency: "We know from our ancestors that when a soul doesn't leave the body of a dead person somebody has to stab that person with a silver knife in the chest or the stomach."

(If she really had been a vampire the old remedy of a wooden stake might have been more in accord with Transylvanian folklore, I would have thought?)

He added: "When the knife pierced her heart we all heard a very long sigh and the body became rigid and very pale, unlike before.

"It was terrifying but we had to do it. We were told that if we didn't release her soul she would have come back to haunt us or to even kill us."

"It was terrifying but we had to do it. We were told that if we didn't release her soul she would have come back to haunt us or to even kill us."
This does sound much more like traditional folk belief, rather than something devised for literary and filmic effect.

Good story. Is it recent? Did it come with dates?

Story filed on Ananova on 20:48 Tuesday 28th May 2002 but the article doesn't provide any dates of the occurence

(If she really had been a vampire the old remedy of a wooden stake might have been more in accord with Transylvanian folklore, I would have thought?)

I once read somewhere that the original intention behind the wooden stake through the heart wasn't actually meant to kill the vampire, but to fasten it to the ground so he/she couldn't rise at night and cause any trouble.

I'm a little fuzzy about the specifics, but there was also a "true" story about a vampire who pulled the stake from his chest and thanked the townsfolk for providing him with something to fight off the local dogs with. If anybody is interested, I can pull the full story from one of my books this weekend.

"Impalation with a wooden stake, through the heart, causing the organ which ingests blood to explode and thereby disrupt its function to invigorate the corporeal form, is the second most potent method of exorcism, next to cremation."

~ The Vampire Hunter's Handbook: A Concise Vampirological Guide (Gothic Press, 1997)

http://www.gothicpress.freeserve.co.uk/Handbook.htm

I read that thing too and it really seems very eccentric - those Europeans!
Romania looks like a very interesting place, what about a Fortean holiday there? We could ship people over in boxes of earth so they could get the real vampire experiece (this would also be quite cheap.) Then you could stay in a ruined castle (also quite reasonaly priced), be chased by bears and wolves (ahh the children of the night, what sweet music they make etc...) and so on.
Sound tempting?

Vampires/succubi

Hello Everyone,
I am currently carrying out some research on the aforementioned topics. Could anyone please recomend relevant web sites where I could research vampires and succubi.

Although I work as a research engineer: spend most my days knocking electrons off the atoms of boring gas molecules, I have dreams of writting a semi-factual novel.

I would be most grateful if anyone could help. I hope to make many new friend here. Please feel free to e-mail me if you wish.

Many Thanks and Kindest regards,

The Eight Ball:)

What kind of info are you looking for? I don't know of any good websites, but I know of a few books that deal with the old folklore. (The Vampire in Europe by Montague Summers is one and Dudley Wright wrote one I liked, but I can't remember the title.) There is also a good book called "Vampires, Death, and Burial" which compares the folklore to what we now know about medical science. Off the top of my head, I can't recall who wrote it, but I can find out easily enough if you are interested. If you are looking for anything recent or flashy, I don't have a clue as to where to find it. Good Luck!:)

Woman vampire caught

They will let her off with a warning if she helps catch Dracula.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/cag/2002/08/21/0010146new.html

Woman vampire caught, flees DSWD

A 70-YEAR old woman suspected of being a vampire was brought by irate city residents to the police last Monday night but later "disappeared" under the watch of the Department of Social Welfare and Development-Region 10 (DSWD-10) office.

The Police Regional Mobile Group (PMRG-10) said residents of Oro Vista, Upper Balulang this city brought a certain Amparo Borres of Barangay Balulang to their office after they saw a scar on her forehead.

The vampire, they said, bore a scar on her forehead. PRMG officers said they later handed her over to the Carmen police precinct for safekeeping.

"Ang uban namong mga sakop ang ningdala kang Borres sa Carmen Police Precinct mga alas 7:30 sa gabii (Some of our officers brought Borres to Carmen Police Precint around 7:30 in the evening)," a PMRG-10 officer said.

He said the people believed the scarred Borres is the vampire who had been haunting the city as reported by several local media outlets.

The scar was reportedly inflicted by an ax blow delivered by the woman's husband who found out that she had killed their child for lunch.

The PMRG-10 said after delivering her to the Carmen Police Precint, Borres was then brought to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) at Barangay Balulang for safekeeping where she later "disappeared."

"Nawala naman daw didto (She is reportedly gone from DSWD)," the officer said.
Several Balulang residents gave various testimonies on how they believe the reported vampire is living within their vicinity.

One of the residents, Marites Abao revealed how she was really scared when she heard some strange noises coming from her roof one late night.

"Warag dunay naglakaw-lakaw sa among atop basin usa kadto ka bampira (It seems there was somebody walking on top of our roofs maybe it was a vampire)," she said during a radio interview.

A taxi driver also recounted his experience of meeting a woman clothed in black who tried to flag him down along a dark road in Barangay Balulang last week.

"Nahibulong ko kay nagtalikod man kini nga nagkaway sa iyang kamot ug nagpatungod sa ngitngit nga dapit (I was puzzled as the black woman's back was turned to me while she waved her hand to flag me down. She was doing this in a pitch black area)," he said.

Believing that she was the reported vampire, the driver said he stepped on his accelerator, speeded up and passed by the woman.

There were other accounts reported which state there is indeed a vampire roaming the city. (from Sun.Star Superbalita)

Suffering

So this poor old woman not only had her husband axe her in the head, but she now must face being charged with being a vampire by her superstitious Republican right wing neighbors?

Whoa.

Wasn't it the case that vampires can't have children on the count of them being dead and therefore infertile?
Maybe that's eastern european vampires though. It's surprising how many different types of vampire there are.

Re: Suffering

FraterLibre said:
So this poor old woman not only had her husband axe her in the head, but she now must face being charged with being a vampire by her superstitious Republican right wing neighbors?

Whoa.

The axe blow not killing her would only add to the hysteria suggesting she is a vampire, who knows? perhaps she is ;)

Aren't They Insubstantial?

Aren't vampires supernatural beings and as such not likely to be damaged by an axe blow?

Then again, for all we know it was a magic axe, too.

I'm pretty sure they can be physically damaged, but their healing process is extremely fast. They usually keep battle scars as war trophies.:)

Undead Notions

tasty - You sure? I mean, isn't this comic book stuff?

Back