• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vampires

I havn't actually met any in this world, yet, that I know of, but they could have made all that folklore up to scare people into thinking that they have abnormal powers. That way people wouldn't look for them and if they had an encounter then they would go into battle with preconceived notions that would give the vampire the psychological advantage. In all reality they could be just like me or you, but with a tremendous lust for blood.

Just my opinion,tho...

Lust for Blood

Could well be. Certainly the Bush League, and other so-called "leaders' of other countries, exhibit an abnormal bloodlust, and they sure are good at putting out scare stories, to keep us off-balance.

In actual fact, many real people really do drink blood from other people. Some find it erotic, others are play-acting movie or literary notions of vampires.

As for vampires as supernatural beings, it's the supernatural part that hangs me up every time. No shape-shifting, no flying, no mists under the door, no living forever, none of that strikes me as at all likely.

Real folks doing odd things, is all. Sure, you bet. And some driven to bloodlust by psychological problems and, very rarely, by porphyria, or pernicioius anaemia, and other disorders.

i dont think this is the rite thingy for this but i didnt know where to put it so...

hi...yes...well...im really into vampires right now...i was just wondering if anyone could possibly post here or email me their views on vampires...i would really appreciate it...thanks...email me

Some people should start reading all the vampire threads already on this board!!

:D

if i were 12 again i could talk everyone's ear off about the history and mythology of vampires.

vampires in London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2241425.stm

Digging around London's darker side reveals there is a thriving "vampire scene" in the capital.
They have the clothes, the hair, the fangs and some even have the thirst for blood.

The London Inside Out team investigates whether they are harmless eccentrics or something a lot more sinister.

In the Ben Crouch Tavern, just off Oxford Street, central London, a collection of vamps and goths meet as part of the London Vampire Group.

They are drawn to the mystique and glamour of the cult.

One member, Cliff, says "vampires are sexy, suave, sophisticated and good dressers".

He told Inside Out: "They have an allure.

Heidi Taylor was born with natural fangs

"If you look at the classic monsters like Frankenstein or a werewolf, no-one says they want to be them. But vampires?

"They look human, but they have that hypnotic power over their victims whether it be male or female."

Among the group is Heidi Taylor who says she was born with "natural fangs."

She said:"I was always strange as a kid, I didn't fit in and I don't seem to like bright lights."

Sanguine eater

Most of the group members are just horror fans who like to dress up as vampires.

But Inside Out wanted to meet a real sanguine (blood) eater, like 19-year-old Nathan.

He said:"When I was younger I always felt there was something missing.

"I cut myself and put my mouth to it to stop it bleeding and thought 'this feels great, this is what's missing'."

Nathan said that when he drank blood, which he describes as tasting metallic, it felt like everything got "brighter" and he felt more relaxed.

"I can see everything better and clearer. It's just an amazing feeling."

Nathan would not consider drawing blood by biting

His main source for blood is his girlfriend, Gemma, who lets him feed from her because it "makes him happy".

"I know that it's something he enjoys, but I suppose in some senses it can be considered romantic to be able to do that for him. I trust him, I know that he's not gonna cause me any harm."

Nathan cleans the area before he uses a syringe to make a hole from which to extract the blood for about five minutes.

Afterwards he tells the Inside Out reporter that he feels "sort of shaky".

But he would not consider drawing blood by biting someone as it can be very painful for the person and it is not a clean method.

"I'm not harming anyone by doing it", Nathan said. "I mean there are worse things I could be doing - taking drugs, getting into fights, going out and murdering people.

"This is something I do with someone who feels safe and secure about the whole thing."

Medical warning: The drinking of blood can cause the spread of infection and disease

No thank you:blah:
sakina

The Ben Crouch is hardly a very original place for them to meet. It's part of a chain of pubs that are all done up in faux gothic styles to appeal to dilletantes and tourists. Not really the kind of place a hardcore vampire would hang out.

So,guess its just another commercial thing, like those SM parties.

sakina:eek:

I love the Ben Crouch, but as I've said before, vampires going there is a bit like farmers going to a Harvester restaurant.

Or maybe I stole that joke from someone...

Anyway, the Ben Crouch does brilliant cocktails. If anyone ever goes there buy one of the jugs of 'Sloth' and drink the lot yourself.

Beats me why anyone would really think vampires are suave and sophisticated. Okay, I know I drool after Spike at every opportunity, but that is a literary vampire. The 'real' thing is an animated corpse, with putrid breath, mindless with permanent hunger and really not my kind of style guru, thank you so much all the same. And I like dressing like a Goth, but that doesn't mean I go mushy about vampires. I mean, do they really have any kind of idea what they're talking about?

Oh, and just to be ultra, ultra pedantic, Frankenstein wasn't a monster.

Every time I read of such things, I'm reminded of a banner in the background of an episode of 'The Day Today'. It simply says:

Silly Bugger

Sums the whole thing up for me ;)

Vampires in TV soap!

Have just watched an episode of 'Doctors', which contained a story about teenagers drinking each other's blood, because they were 'vampires'. It was quite explicit about the dangers - from infections in the knife cuts and hepatitis/HIV from ingesting blood.

It's a pity it was broadcast in the afternoon, when few young people are around - but it would certainly have alerted parents to the potential harm.

Heather.

Exorcistate said:
"I'm a bit confused on the subject of vampires. I mean, I've read some things and half of them say that (1) vampires are not affected by crosses and holy water (2) if they go into the sun they wont start to really burn as in on fire burn for about three hours in the sun (3) that they have assistants that are half vampires (4) they do have reflections but you cant get a good photo (5) they can be killed other than stakes throught the heart, like bullets and (6) they aren't immortal, but full vampires age a 1/10 the human rate and their assistants age at 1/5 the human rate. The other half says the normal vampire stuff, stakes, sunlight, crosses and holy water, knots and grain, that sorta thing. And also what about the face issue? I mean I believe they probly could exist because I believe that all things are possible."
- CHRESTOMANCI

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) Christian images and holy things definitely ward off vampires.

(2) They cannot abide daylight ~ especially the sun's rays.

(3) They have human emissaries ~ they are not "half-vampires."

(4) They do not reflect, nor cast shadow, nor appear on film prior to exorcism. Then it is the corporeal shell that becomes visible.

(5) Bullets will not harm them. Cremation is most effective.

(6) They do not age at all. They are demonic and will not die. They will, however, face the torment of the fires of hell, along with the Devil.

For further information visit the following webpage ...

http://www.gothicpress.freeserve.co.uk/Frequently Asked Questions.htm

(1) what happens if the vamp (vamp doesnt that sound sexy??) isnt xtian?
do u have to carry around with a load of relisuios symbols? and say to them "wait there old chap/ete are u allergic to this symbol?"
why not use fried egg sarnie expecially if you think that you can hurt them plus do they (vamps) also have to believe in "that" perticular symbol for it to harm them?
refer to carpum jugulum? by t pratchett
and the comdery with the jewish vamp
i have properly answered my own q
(2) i destest direct sunlight

IIRC it depends on your religion, not the religion of the vampyre (yes - I've read Carpe Jugulum too;) ). I believe the Roman Catholic Church states that it is the belief in God that scares the vamp away, and that the crucifix is purely a focus for that belief. Therefore, the crucifix/cross itself is insufficient to scare a vamp. It is the faith of the weilder. So, Granny Weatherwax's unshakeable belief in herself is the downfall of the Vampyres, I suppose.

'The Vampire Encyclopaedia' by Mathhew Bunson, and 'The Vampire - A casebook' edited by Alan Dundes are both good reads. Especially if you want to know more about the different types of vampire, the different ways of destroying them, and the different ways of becoming one. It's not as straightforward as van Helsing would have us believe:D

is it the source or volume of light that hurts vampires...because i wonder if the light from a small ignition of helium(what the sun is made of) would hurt them?

Sunlight doesn't kill all vampires. IIRC, even in Dracula, himself can go out during daylight, but he has none of his powers.

synthwerk said:
is it the source or volume of light that hurts vampires...because i wonder if the light from a small ignition of helium(what the sun is made of) would hurt them?
Sorry synth, but just have a vision of Van Helsing wandering round with a party balloon on a string in one hand and a lighter in the other :D

TBH it's more likely the volume of light, cos trying to ignite helium is a bugger...

The sun has only 28% helium, and the light from the sun comes from hydrogen fusing to form helium...
helium fusion occurs in other, larger stars, so perhaps there are whole solar systems where the sunlight has no effect on vampires at all-
red giant systems for instance-
(er -- superman loses all his powers around a red star, so he would be unable to defeat any vampires if called upon to do so)
Betelgeuse sounds like a vampire heaven:)

Maybe it's vitamin whatever - the one that's only found in sunlight. Or ultraviolet, as suggested in Blade, which means vampires hanging around nightclubs must have a bit of an undeath wish.

Surely it's just a folklore thing:

Vampires = evil

Night is when evil things come out to play

Therefore sunlight = deadly to evil things or reduced power.

yes, that's what i wanted to say (but didn't)... I think that playing pedants over a piece of symbolism is v. silly.

Well, excuse me for being 'v. silly'

It still doesn't explain where the whole 'sunlight' thing came from. Supposedly, not all vampires are harmed by sunlight. Unless you count Buffy and Hammer House ones.

Trying to remember my 'Dracula' here.

When the solicitor chap goes to Transylvania aren't a variety of different names given? Some of which mean devil, demon, unquiet spirit and vampire? As I say It's been several years since I last read the book and my memory is notoriously unreliable.

Then there are vampires in completely different cultures. Chinese hopping vampires anyone.

There's bloomin' hundreds of the blood-supping buggers, from what I remember!:) The only name I can remember is strigoii, but there's people born as vampires (if they have a cawl for example, unless the midwife does some ritual thing, touching the earth and saying something); there's the ones that come out of the grave via a little crack or hole. There's the ones that hang around cross roads. There's spiritual vampires, that suck life force out of people. There's vampires that cause depression. And vampires that cause plagues. There's the ones (male) that marry a woman, their entire family dies of the plague, which then moves on through the village; then the vampire moves on to another village and starts all over again. There's female vampires that are a bit like succubi.

And that's before we get started on the Japanese ones!

I think the safest thing would be to lop off everyone's head once they're dead, shove a clove of garlic and a lemon in their gobs, bury them upside down, sprinkle garlic over the grave, shove a stake through 'em, surround them with crucifixes and holy water, then burn 'em. Just to be on the safe side. Oh, and don't let any horses, black cats or indeed people in the cemetary just in case their shadows cross any graves.

Well, I for one would sleep better for it! :D

Vampire help

I have to write a essay paper thing that is supposed to convince people that vampires exist...I have most of what I need but I was wondering if anyone could help me get a little more...caz im kinda stuck...any help would be appreciated...thanks

What real vampires, undead types?

Can't help there but google for Vampire sociaties, the magazine ohgodIcan'trememberit'sname but there is one and then there is the medical condition the name of wich I can't remember.

I'm a bit crap at this arn't I?

Back