Vatican Issues Guidance On Gender Identity

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Vatican issues guidance questioning modern gender identity

Date & time: 8 hours ago

The Vatican has released a new document challenging modern conceptions of gender identity.

The 31-page teaching guidance, released on Monday, is titled 'Male and Female He Created Them'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48584892
Anyone else not enormously surprised that this is the Catholic church's stance here?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Anyone else not enormously surprised that this is the Catholic church's stance here?
Interesting synopsis:

New Ways Ministery (support group for LBTG clergy)

The Vatican’s Congregation for Catholic Education released a document on gender yesterday titled “Male and Female He Created Them.” Today’s post features excerpts from the document highlighting key LGBTQ-related themes.

https://www.newwaysministry.org/201...s-to-new-vatican-document-on-gender-identity/

Analogue Boy

The new Number 6
Don’t the Pope and the Cardinals wear dresses as formal attire?
They look like dresses.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
They are perfectly within their rights to say what they wish, are they not? Or can they not say what they want, unless, it agree's with what others want?

Ermintruder

Existential pixelfixer
I heard an astounding quote on the radio, purportedly made by the Roman Catholic Church in the context of this which was (I paraphrase, but consider my rendition to be representative)- "the stubborn dogma of the LGBTQ communities in the promotion of their agendas, based apon their interpretation of what is right and wrong in life, is unacceptably-intolerant of what are, clearly, well-founded & universally-accepted standards in society"

Well...Pot, Kettle, black. That's going to prove to be an interesting clash of the Titans.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I heard an astounding quote on the radio, purportedly made by the Roman Catholic Church in the context of this which was (I paraphrase, but consider my rendition to be representative)- "the stubborn dogma of the LGBTQ communities in the promotion of their agendas, based apon their interpretation of what is right and wrong in life, is unacceptably-intolerant of what are, clearly, well-founded & universally-accepted standards in society"

Well...Pot, Kettle, black. That's going to prove to be an interesting clash of the Titans.
The more tolerant that society as a whole becomes seems to be counter-balanced by more intolerant individuals taking up extreme positions and going on a rant if everyone doesn't agree with them.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
If people want to self identify and dress up as a cornflake -for example- that's entirely up to them. I have no issue with that.

Two small points.

1. The Catholic church arguably hold some pretty weird beliefs themselves. Virgin birth. Resurrection from the dead. God proclaiming who people can and can't put their genitals into. They're in no position to criticize anyone else's belief systems.

2. If you choose to dress as a cornflake and people give you odd looks or make insulting comments then that's obviously upsetting.

But there are people in this world who live in tin shacks, work 10 hours a day in a sweatshop in appalling working conditions, and can barely afford to get by.

Let's develop a sense of proportion.

That is all.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
They are perfectly within their rights to say what they wish, are they not? Or can they not say what they want, unless, it agree's with what others want?
:nods:

That seems to be the way society is going... one is only allowed a voice if it is the right voice. It has to stop.

Each person is entitled to their opinion and as I've said before, it is a very slippery and dangerous slope which we are heading inexorably down...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
:nods:

That seems to be the way society is going... one is only allowed a voice if it is the right voice. It has to stop.

Each person is entitled to their opinion and as I've said before, it is a very slippery and dangerous slope which we are heading inexorably down...
I'd say the multitude of voices all demanding to be heard on every bloody subject because they are right and will tolerate no dissent are the reason that there's so much confusion these days. Filtering out the valid from the invalid is the real problem.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
The Catholic church arguably hold some pretty weird beliefs themselves. Virgin birth. Resurrection from the dead. God proclaiming who people can and can't put their genitals into. They're in no position to criticize anyone else's belief systems.
Please note that there are different Catholic Churches. This has been issued by one of them.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Please note that there are different Catholic Churches. This has been issued by one of them.
Yes, my original wording was a little imprecise.

The Vatican and its Pope are commonly regarded as representing official Catholicism.

It was the Vatican who released the statement on gender identity. It is the Vatican who promote the three beliefs I mentioned in my previous post.. These beliefs can easily be verified online by searching for the Vatican's official pronouncements on these issues.

There may well be independent Catholic churches who hold differing views.

But for most people the Vatican and its Pope represent official Catholic dogma.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
The Vatican and its Pope are commonly regarded as representing official Catholicism.
except by all the other Catholics ;)

It was the Vatican who released the statement on gender identity. It is the Vatican who promote the three beliefs I mentioned in my previous post.. These beliefs can easily be verified online by searching for the Vatican's official pronouncements on these issues.
no quibble.

There may well be independent Catholic churches who hold differing views.
Not may be. There ARE.

But for most people the Vatican and its Pope represent official Catholic dogma.
I don't know what you mean by official. Apostolic succession? ex cathedra prouncements?

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
When we had our 4 kids it was the midwife who gave us guidance on gender identity. So grateful, imagine mistakenly putting my (now 6 foot 3 inch) son in a pink spotted dress.