• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vegetarianism: Roots In Europe?

Vegetarians can soon stop being vegetarians with good conscience. Meat grown artificially will soon come to your supermarket.

Vegetarians can soon stop being vegetarians with good conscience. Meat grown artificially will soon come to your supermarket.

Also, meat eaters can get to feel all virtuous.

I suspect that getting it approved by the FDA will take a while.

Nope. There simply isn't the raw material to play about with. You're suggesting the biological equivalent of re-configuring a ZX81 and expecting to get a "quad core pentium". It really can't be done. You could take a ZX81 box and rip out the insides and put a high power processing unit inside it, but then it's not a ZX81 any more.
I think it might run into some overheating problems too.

In my experience carnivores are a helluva lot more self-righteous than veggies. You never hear such a fuss as when you tell a dedicated meat eater you don't bother with the meat yourself. I look forward to the day when it's not a big deal.

You'll take my meat from my cold dead hands (fnarr).

Coal said:
Nope. There simply isn't the raw material to play about with.
I admire your certainty, but there is much to be learned about mice minds yet. In due course I expect that we will be able to emulate mice minds in artificial form, but this will require the resources of vastly powered processing systems and extremely subtle algorithms. No doubt it will take a long time and a lot of resources to achieve this emulation, but it is just a stepping stone on the way to emulating human minds, which will take a lot longer. I expect that when we do finally, fully understand mice minds (if we ever do) we will acquire a much deeper respect for their level of consciousness than most people now afford them.

Nope. There simply isn't the raw material to play about with. You're suggesting the biological equivalent of re-configuring a ZX81 and expecting to get a "quad core pentium". It really can't be done.

So you're ruling the possibility of a mouse's brain being dimensionally transcendental?

Seeing as people were talking about cucumbers a few pages back I recommend this kind of salad:

https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/easy-chinese-cucumber-salad

Omnipresent all over China, with regional variation (e.g. the Sichuan version has, of course, chillies and sichuan pepper). The important points: 1) Use small, knobbly cucumbers, 2) smash them with the flat blade of a knife (as the article suggests) to increase surface area for the dressing to cling to.

...when you tell a dedicated meat eater you don't bother with the meat yourself.

So why do veggies keep doing it? Just eat your delicious synthbacon-flavoured Athlete’s Foot fungus - straight from Auntie Monsanto’s Country Kitchen! - and let us enjoy a harangue-free steak.

maximus otter

I don't pretend.

I have a supernatural to identify and select the best thing on the menu, even when I 'can't' eat it. This is not a pride issue, it's just almost inevitable that when one person orders what I suggest and another doesn't, the other will subsequently concede that I was probably right.

To Mrs Yith: you should definitely have the lamb shank/game pie/Wagu Steak/Bangers & Garlic Mash; I'll have the ploughman's or the grilled mackerel--which will probably be pretty good.

Because you keep demanding an explanation for why we didn't order the steak..

Huh. You know, I don't really care what folk eat . I've been know to be interested in why folk eat how they do, not that this is really my business, but I could care less in the grand scheme of things.

If you want to be a vegan, vegetarian, piscatarian or whatever, be my guest, I really don't care one way or the other. Remember these things:

1. Veganism and vegetarianism (or any other eating lifestyle) as a choice, does not render you morally or ethically superior to an omnivore. No they don't.*
  2. The ability to make such a choice is a privilege in most of Western society. People in many parts of the world simply want enough to eat and whether it comes out of the ground or has wings or feet doesn't bother them one jot.
  3. If you make a voluntary choice, the consequences are yours to bear and yours alone. If it makes eating out tricky, buying food tricky, costs more, affects your social life, then so what? That's your choice, you live with it.

* They really really don't. Says who?

Last edited:
So you're ruling the possibility of a mouse's brain being dimensionally transcendental?
One possible way that mice minds could be augmented is by linking them to larger, external processing substrates. Effectively this would make them 'dimensionally transcendental', especially if you consider that cyberspace is not constrained to any easily-defined dimensional metrics.

One possible way that mice minds could be augmented is by linking them to larger, external processing substrates. Effectively this would make them 'dimensionally transcendental', especially if you consider that cyberspace is not constrained to any easily-defined dimensional metrics.

tumblr_p34ik0R4931u2ragso1_500.gif

Are you ruling out the possibility that mice are already a superintelligent species who designed our planet as a computer in order to find out the answer to the Ultimate Question?

EDIT: Apologies if that's the joke Yithian already made

Also, meat eaters can get to feel all virtuous.

There's a brand of meat-substitutes (Quorn?) which advertises with the line 'When you don't feel like eating meat' or some such.

Makes me think, what the actual? Meat-eaters NEVER 'don't feel like eating meat'.
Meat is what they eat, with other foods like vegetables only grudgingly added.

I'm not a vegetarian any more, but I was for most of my childhood/early teens. I always absolutely hated 'meat substitutes' - there's plenty of perfectly delicious things you can make which aren't trying (and inevitably failing) to be meat.

I have an issue with vegetarian Chinese food, which is basically for buddhists. Because of this, it has a long tradition and has evolved into very much a distinct style. Because of religious rules, not only meat is proscribed but also other things that might take one's mind off religion, such as garlic and chilli peppers. I had a terrible time when my vegetarian parents visited me and we had to eat all this stuff all the time.

There's a brand of meat-substitutes (Quorn?) which advertises with the line 'When you don't feel like eating meat' or some such.

Makes me think, what the actual? Meat-eaters NEVER 'don't feel like eating meat'.
Meat is what they eat, with other foods like vegetables only grudgingly added.
I know! Why would you, etc. :D

I'm not a vegetarian any more, but I was for most of my childhood/early teens. I always absolutely hated 'meat substitutes' - there's plenty of perfectly delicious things you can make which aren't trying (and inevitably failing) to be meat.

I have an issue with vegetarian Chinese food, which is basically for buddhists. Because of this, it has a long tradition and has evolved into very much a distinct style. Because of religious rules, not only meat is proscribed but also other things that might take one's mind off religion, such as garlic and chilli peppers. I had a terrible time when my vegetarian parents visited me and we had to eat all this stuff all the time.
They believe blandness is a good thing? Like a self-punishment.

For a buddhist monk, food is meant to be for sustenance, not pleasure.

Most people, when the subject arises, just ask me what I have for Christmas dinner, but there are the few who are all like "HOW DARE YOU JUDGE ME!!!" I'm not an in-your-face vegetarian and don't gravitate to conflict.

Back