• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Vertical Forest' Overrun By Plants And Mosquitoes

China is apparently full of basically empty buildings, entire cities even. People bought the units as investments, they never intended to live there.

Oh yup, I remember the lovely 'fairytale castle' estate that had no takers. They also build English-style streets because they admire our urban architecture so much.

:p If you let nature take its course... what else did they expect! :dunno: :)

Sounds like one of those ill thought-out ideas that look suitably green on paper and win awards.

There's a retirement complex near here which has a grassed roof at one end. The residents swear it's a source of constant insect infestation.
Dunno about that but every time a gnat flies past in the the grass roof is loudly cursed.

I've just looked at it online and it actually looks pretty dead! Perhaps some genius forgot to install a watering system. :clap:

I'd imagine the street cleaner isn't too happy either. Not to mention the havoc roots can wreck on a structure.

I'd assume the roof is constructed specially to accommodate the plants. Haven't heard of any problems with it apart from the gnats, which I think is a red herring. Troublesome insects don't live in that sort of vegetation.
There are lawns all around the place and nobody blames them!

Last edited:
Back