• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Very Long Hair

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://www.wftv.com/news/3446236/detail.html
HANOI, Vietnam -- A Vietnamese man who hasn't been to a barber in 31 years is vying to get in the Guinness World Records for having the longest hair, state-controlled media reported Monday.

Tran Van Hay's hair is 20 feet long, Thanh Nien newspaper said.

Normally tied up and covered by a scarf, his hair has grown four feet in the past seven years. He last had it washed six years ago, the paper said.

Hay, 67, is a traditional medicine practitioner from southern Kien Giang province, some 220 miles southwest of Ho Chi Minh City. He provides free treatment to villagers in the region.

The Guinness Web site says the current record for long hair, set in 1997, is held by Hoo Sateow of Chiang Mai, Thailand, at 16 feet 11 inches.

sometimes people can grow their hair very long in dredlocks. however, like a length of wool or string, the hair tangles up, and so the hair at the end is very often not attatched to the head!

i believe that several people vying for the record have been disqualified this way - and it looks like this guy is going to be next, as the photos show his hair is very matted and tangled and may well not all be still growing.

tran van hay - what a name!

An Indian teen who already held the Guinness record for longest hair on a teenager has broken her own record.
India teenager's 6-foot hair breaks Guinness World Record

An India teenager achieved the Guinness World Record for the longest hair on a teenager.

Nilanshi Patel, 18, first achieved the record for longest hair on a teenager on Nov. 21, 2018, and has since broken her own record twice, the most recent time also achieving the record for the longest hair ever on a teenager. ...

Patel's hair was measured days before her 18th birthday at a length of 6 feet, 6.7 inches. Her hair was initially measured in 2018 at 5 feet, 7 inches. ...

Patel said she has not decided whether to keep growing her hair out to seek length records in the adult category.

FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...r-breaks-Guinness-World-Record/7461604595665/

An Indian teen who already held the Guinness record for longest hair on a teenager has broken her own record.

Update ... Nilanshi Patel's record-length hair has been cut, and it will be displayed at a Ripley's museum.
Guinness record holder gets first haircut in 12 years, donates locks to museum

An Indian woman who set the Guinness World Record for the longest hair on a teenager received her first haircut since age 6 and donated the cut hair for display at the Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum.

Nilanshi Patel, 18, of Modasa, Gujarat, first set the Guinness record for longest hair on a teenager when she was 16 and her hair measured 5 feet, 7 inches long. ...

Patel's hair was measured just days before her 18th birthday and she broke her own record for the second time with hair measuring 6 feet, 6.7 inches long. ...

Patel's hair is now being prepared for display at the Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum in Los Angeles and will later be transferred to the Guinness World Records Hollywood Museum in Los Angeles. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...-Nilanshi-Patel-donated-museum/7671618417432/

It is funny though, don't you think, that most of us don't know how long our own hair would grow if we let it.

I let mine grow at one point, out of sheer laziness and stubbornness, and it got to about mid-thigh. Who knows how uncommon or common that would be. But it's fantastically annoying at that length because you can sit or kneel on it and you wrench your neck :) so you have to tidy it away anyway. Also you leave furballs round the house like some sort of cat.

And speaking of cats, I was suspecting I was looking like some sort of crazy cat lady, so it got hacked back to just 'longish'. And furthermore I gave myself a more severe lockdown haircut recently and realised how it's actually considered quite freaky in society to have very long hair, although curiously it also has a sort of positive medieval princess Preraphaelite connotation. But in practice, maybe considered not so attractive. Sort of weird really.

And then of course there's the biblical connotations of Samson losing his strength when he had his hair cut... what was all that about.

I've known three females with very long hair.

The first was a recurrent classmate in elementary school who'd never had her hair cut and whose mother kept her hair neatly braided into a pair of long pigtails. She could sit on her pigtails by the time she finally cut her hair back to above-shoulder length as a pre-teen / tween ager. She wore her hair above the shoulder ever after.

The other two (a co-worker and a friend) I met when they were in their mid-30s, married at least once, and mothers. Both had voluminous heads of hair extending to hip / thigh length. Both claimed that their hair had naturally reached a sort of static "terminal length" beyond which uneven growth and / or split ends caused them to trim the very lowest fringes. Both wore their hair unbound, cascading down their backs. The friend walked with a noticeably rigid upright posture, but I never ventured to ask whether her gait was affected by her hair.

Indian girl Nilanshi Patel (see earlier post(s)) apparently still holds the Guinness record for longest recorded hair. This young lady in Virginia has set a newly-established Guinness record for the longest length of hair donated once she finally had it cut.
Virginia woman donates 6 feet, 3 inches of hair to charity

A 30-year-old Virginia woman got her first haircut since age 13 and set a Guinness World Record by donating 6 feet, 3 inches of hair.

Zahab Kamal Khan, who played professional squash in her native Pakistan, said her father suggested when she was 13 years old that she should stop cutting her hair and attempt to set a world record. ...

Khan recently communicated with Guinness about starting a new record category: most hair donated to a charity by an individual.

The athlete earned the record Thursday, when her first haircut in 17 years resulted in 6 feet, 3 inches of hair donated to a charity that creates wigs for children with hair loss. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...b-Kamal-Khan-most-hair-donated/9911629993507/

The donation is lovely news, and refreshing to contemplate during a time when so many other things are so dire.

I am confused a little though: If she's 30, she's not a girl anymore—did she win the record for longest hair while still a child? And what did she do with her hair while she was a professional squash player? Has her game improved since she but her hair? Or did she play squash professionally before she started growing her hair out at the age of 13? See, I'm just not convinced this story is that well written . . . ;)

It is funny though, don't you think, that most of us don't know how long our own hair would grow if we let it.

I let mine grow at one point, out of sheer laziness and stubbornness, and it got to about mid-thigh. Who knows how uncommon or common that would be. But it's fantastically annoying at that length because you can sit or kneel on it and you wrench your neck :) so you have to tidy it away anyway. Also you leave furballs round the house like some sort of cat.

And speaking of cats, I was suspecting I was looking like some sort of crazy cat lady, so it got hacked back to just 'longish'. And furthermore I gave myself a more severe lockdown haircut recently and realised how it's actually considered quite freaky in society to have very long hair, although curiously it also has a sort of positive medieval princess Preraphaelite connotation. But in practice, maybe considered not so attractive. Sort of weird really.

And then of course there's the biblical connotations of Samson losing his strength when he had his hair cut... what was all that about.
My hair grew long enough to sit on as a local saying has it, and what a faff it is too. Had a few inches trimmed off last week by my hairdresser who refused to shorten it any more.

It's normally tied up in a head tube or scrub cap. Not having it coughed on.

I had really long hair as I child, I could easily sit on it.

I had it cut to shoulder length aged 10, after I started getting bad headaches, and our GP told my mum it was the weight of my hair pulling on my scalp (I've since been told that doctor was a idiot, and that hair induced headaches is not a thing, but that's by-the by now!)

I've literally had it cut once since then (seriously, a friend persuaded to me to get my split ends done when I was about 16). but it's never grown back as long as it was; I certainly can't sit on it now. I do keep it up, as long hair does get everywhere! I prefer a plait, then up into a nautilus bun; if you have long or long=ish hair, do learn to do a nautilus bun! I sprained my wrist learning (You Tube vids for the win), but it was well worth it; no bands, pins, nets, it just stays up by itself; you can headbang and everything :D

We have a thread somewhere about Native Americans and their hair. They believe it's a sensory organ.

It’s certainly an erogenous zone. some men just love long hair on women and short hair on women is still considered ‘unfeminine’. i think somewhere during adolescence a girl has to decide how much effort she is prepared to put into looking after her appearance, including managing long hair, and some girls would rather not bother with the faff.

We have a thread somewhere about Native Americans and their hair. They believe it's a sensory organ.
As a wise man once said, "hair are your aerials. They transmit signals from the cosmos directly into your brain. "

The donation is lovely news, and refreshing to contemplate during a time when so many other things are so dire.

I am confused a little though: If she's 30, she's not a girl anymore—did she win the record for longest hair while still a child? And what did she do with her hair while she was a professional squash player? Has her game improved since she but her hair? Or did she play squash professionally before she started growing her hair out at the age of 13? See, I'm just not convinced this story is that well written . . . ;)
My understanding of the story is that she did not make record for "longest hair"' but that Guiness Book made a new category for "longest hair donated".

My understanding of the story is that she did not make record for "longest hair"' but that Guiness Book made a new category for "longest hair donated".
Yes, that's my understanding as well.

Here's a different kind of Mandela Effect ... A Florida woman Guinness-certified as having the world's longest dreadlocks has announced her locks now represent a hair length of 110 feet.
Florida woman with world's longest locks grows hair to 110 feet

The Florida woman who holds the Guinness World Record for longest locks said her tendrils of hair have now reached a length of 110 feet.

Asha Mandela, 60, was first awarded the record for longest locks (locs) in 2009, when her locks were measured at 19 feet and 6.5 inches, and the record-holder said her hair has now reached a length of 110 feet. ...

Mandela, who lives in Clermont, said she first started growing her locks when she moved to the United States from Trinidad and Tobago more than 40 years ago. ...

Mandela said she usually carries her hair around in a cloth sling to prevent her locks from dragging on the ground or straining her neck. ...

Mandela's husband, Emmanuel Chege, a professional lock stylist from Nairobi, Kenya, spends hours each week on maintaining Mandela's hair.

Chege washes Mandela's hair once a week, an occasion that calls for up to six bottles of shampoo and ends with a two-day process of drying.

Mandela said she plans to continue growing her locks. ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/08/17/Guinness-World-Records-longest-locks/4591660753063/

My hair grows like weeds - I've chopped it up short and grown it down to my waist no end of times,
now it's cut to my shoulders for the hot summer.
I think that hair frames the face, especially on men where long hair makes them look absolutely gorgeous!
And in the past when I've had mine cut short, I feel absolutely unlike myself, just like Samson my strength and energy is gone, until it grows back!

Here's a different kind of Mandela Effect ... A Florida woman Guinness-certified as having the world's longest dreadlocks has announced her locks now represent a hair length of 110 feet.

FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/08/17/Guinness-World-Records-longest-locks/4591660753063/
I don't know if you watched the video but she's certainly quite an unusual person :)
I'm glad she enjoys it. though it would drive me insane carrying those about in a little backpack bundle as she does. Even if she has two-way conversations with it... oh yes

My hair grows like weeds - I've chopped it up short and grown it down to my waist no end of times,
Pig sick jealous! Very green faced!!

My mum was a hairdresser and would never let me grow my hair long as she said we didn't have the right sort of hair. I remember once during a row with her I said 'you should never have had children in case you had girls that inherited you hair!!!' She was right though as I tried to grow it when I was older with no success.

Pig sick jealous! Very green faced!!

My mum was a hairdresser and would never let me grow my hair long as she said we didn't have the right sort of hair. I remember once during a row with her I said 'you should never have had children in case you had girls that inherited you hair!!!' She was right though as I tried to grow it when I was older with no success.
Oh my Mum had very dry, coarse hair, and I just got lucky with the Polish oily hair.
My hairdresser has a terrible time trying to grow her own hair, it's very dry - I wonder if dryness has something to do with that?
I always hated having oily skin and hair, but now that I'm older I really appreciate it!

Back