• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Viking Berserkers: What Did They Drink?

I don't recall if Egil mentioned what they drank all I remember is them chewing their shield rims which would suggest a stimulant or alcohol causing Bruxism. I could never see Henbane, mushrooms, etc being the main ingredient. Hallucintory drugs are not going to provide an edge in combat.

It could just have been self-hypnosis. Basically, they just got really angry.
No need for drugs.

It could just have been self-hypnosis. Basically, they just got really angry.
No need for drugs.

I suspect that was the case. Berserkers were intoxicated with Odin-inspired religious fanaticism.
Bit like today's jihadis, convinced they are buying themselves a guaranteed place in the islamic paradise.

A recent video by one of my favourite youtubers, Skallagrim. I don't know whether it helps with the specific subject of the thread cuz I watched it when it was released and i can't remember now (and i don't have time to watch it again). But assuming anyone viewing this thread is likely to be interested in berserkers, here it is:

And because, inexplicably, Swifty hasn't posted this yet, the 'Berserker' scene from Clerks:

The US government conducted LSD based experiments on GI's during the 50's - 60's. The unfortunate soldiers never new that they were being subjected to potentially dangerous drugs, "quite unethical".
http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/23/the-legacy-of-the-cias-secret-lsd-experiments-on-america/

Indeed. And they found it was no use whatsoever for military fighting purposes.

I posted a story in another thread in which the US spiked one of their own top scientists working on pathogens for military use. He was never the same again & shortly after 'jumped out of a high rise hotel window' to his death. Or he was hit on the head first, before being thrown out. This was in 1952.

I don't recall if Egil mentioned what they drank all I remember is them chewing their shield rims which would suggest a stimulant or alcohol causing Bruxism. I could never see Henbane, mushrooms, etc being the main ingredient. Hallucintory drugs are not going to provide an edge in combat.
I thought it was amanita muscaria they imbibed thru reindeer urine that set them off? The notion being that it was a bit like angel dust.

I also have my doubts about shrooms inducing a murderous rage (though fly agaric probably has a very different, more deliriant effect than the psychedelic psylocibes) but the Aztecs did used to commit ritual suicide under the influence of shrooms.
I believe "magic mushrooms, peyote and perhaps some other natural hallucinogenic drugs aren't as unpredictable and potentially as dangerous as LSD. I also believe it's easier to control the doses. People seemed melower on these then when taking say sugar cubes or windowpane. Acid is unpredictable in strength and effect. It can put people into another dimension (for lack of a better term) in which extreme mania or panic can be a possibility. The other problem is that one can stay high for several days in worse case scenarios. This can make the experience even worse since the users doesn't know when to expect a semblance of normality will return.

There's a distinction to make between psychedelic drugs and deliriants. I think henbane, Mandrake, nightshade, Jimson weed etc fall under the latter category, potentially causing days of bizarre behavior with memory loss afterwards. Sort of like an all natural bath salts or PCP.

There's a distinction to make between psychedelic drugs and deliriants. I think henbane, Mandrake, nightshade, Jimson weed etc fall under the latter category, potentially causing days of bizarre behavior with memory loss afterwards. Sort of like an all natural bath salts or PCP.

Agreed ... It makes no sense to use psychedelics (broadly defined) for battle preparation. Another pharmaceutical category that recommends itself - but isn't substantively mentioned here - would be stimulants.

Reactions: Jim
I've actually tried fly agaric and didn't get much of an effect, but it's worth noting that the effects are described as like drunkenness. I doubt it has much in common with the psilocybin experience.

My son called around earlier with a belated fathers day present.
This Valhalla spirit is distilled in Finland and tastes a bit like Absinthe, but with a slightly more rounded and earthy flavour.
So I broke out the carved wooden goblets, poured us out a couple of doses, said "Skol" and knocked it back.
Think I might have found my favourite aperitif!

drink.JPG

This Valhalla spirit is distilled in Finland and tastes a bit like Absinthe, but with a slightly more rounded and earthy flavour.

is it sippable and savourable or is it best done as shots? I know some well-thought of whiskies in the latter group.

Agreed ... It makes no sense to use psychedelics (broadly defined) for battle preparation. Another pharmaceutical category that recommends itself - but isn't substantively mentioned here - would be stimulants.
Another group with very dangerous and additive drugs. Crystal meth, cocacaine, free base coke can all kill and or lead to very strong life ruining additions. I've done all three several times during those crazy 70's on an experemental basis. Fun for a momonet, however at the cost of ruined life or OD. Have know several that died from shotting up cocaine or cyrstal Methadrene. Bad stuff. Also at my age a strong heart attack risk.

Viking Berserkers: What Did They Drink?

Based on 23 years of street coppering in several towns, and the carnage of Friday and Saturday nights, l’d say that they would have needed little more than Carlsberg Special Brew and Jägerbombs.

maximus otter

The whole mushroom thing has never sat well with me.

From my experience you do not want to fight on mushrooms. You also will not be very good at fighting on mushrooms. Quite the opposite. They make you want to lie down, giggle, feel sick and see weird things. That doesn't seem conducive to man to man combat.

Personally, I think if they took anything, it was lots and lots of alcohol.

Think football hooligans.

I think the hallucinogenic thing is a myth.

Last edited:
The whole mushroom thing has never sat well with me.

From my experience you do not want to fight on mushrooms. You also will not be very good at fighting on mushrooms. Quite the opposite. They make you want to lie down, giggle, feel sick and see weird things. That doesn't seem conducive to man to man combat.

Personally, I think if they took anything, it was lots and lots of alcohol.

Think football hooligans.

I think the hallucinogenic thing is a myth.

I absolutely agree, Nigel Pennick postulated the theory that the Berserks and Ulfhednar were adherents of a now lost ancient germanic martial art, think Ninjas but with beards and axes

Back