• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Viking Martyr? St Magnus Cathedral, Orkney

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Thanks to @Comfortably Numb :)

2019 centenary of the finding of the bones of martyr St Magnus ( 1080-1115) in his cathedral in Orkney.

The BBC article describes the finding and attribution of the bones, concealed in a wooden box behind a loose stone in a pillar. The relevant section of the Orkneyinga Saga is quoted

When Magnus the friend of God was led out to slaughter, he spoke to Hakkon's cook Lifolf: "Stand thou before me, and hew me on my head a great wound, for it beseems not to chop off chiefs' heads like thieves'; strengthen thyself, wretched man, for I have prayed for thee to God that he may have mercy on thee." After that he signed himself with the cross, and bowed himself to the stroke. And his spirit passed to heaven. The spot where it happened was mossy and stony. But in a short time, the worthiness of earl Magnus before God was so bright that there sprung up a green meadow.

The whole thing is notable - it says things about relics, sainthood, hidden things, changes in theology, changes in popular practice and the physical presence of these things in the world. It also suggests that things remain to be found, which is delightful.

I really really want to do more of the scottish pilgrimages. Partly because I'm a catholic but also because... continuity, weird mystic stuff, sites and activities in the landscape...

If you are a believer or not, I can recommend Carfin which is Scotland's catholic pilgrimage centre. As the material expression of a set of mental constructs it's fascinating! Wikipedia entry here.

:p

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Back