• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Saudi Arabia

Floyd

Antediluvian
Well it seems something is going on there.

The 2012 Saudi Arabia mass trespasses, known by its instigators as The National Day to Invade Dwelling Places of Jinn (Arabic: اليوم العالمي لغزو الجن, romanized: al-Yawm al-ʿĀlamī Liġazū al-Jinn) was a campaign by a group of several Saudi paranormal investigators to raid and storm suspected haunted sites across several cities in Saudi Arabia on 21 May 2012.

The self-proclaimed ghost hunters had planned mass incursions into abandoned locations in Dammam, Khobar, Riyadh, Jubail, Hafar al-Batin, Najran, Jeddah and Tabuk and were partly successful before the Saudi law enforcement agencies foiled their attempts.

Full Details
:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Saudi_Arabia_mass_trespasses

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd idly thought this 75 mile city was a designer's pipe dream but it's apparently started

75-mile canyon dug in the desert for £800,000,000,000 futuristic city

1707415581186.png

The idea is to have two kilometer-long buildings with a railroad sandwiched in between. This then means you can have a city with no streets or roads, people will just move back and forth along the railroad.

The idea is to have two kilometer-long buildings with a railroad sandwiched in between. This then means you can have a city with no streets or roads, people will just move back and forth along the railroad.
Sounds a bit hellish doesn't it. If that's the extent of it, it's going to be a slim city - hard to tell but looks less than 100m wide.

Sounds a bit hellish doesn't it. If that's the extent of it, it's going to be a slim city - hard to tell but looks less than 100m wide.
A car free city?
I thought that would suit you down to the ground?

I’m a driver & even have a car.

A 75 mile long city of steel & glass in a desert? Air-con going night & day? Maybe too hot to spend much time outdoors? No thanks. Also no streets to cycle on.
Well air-con is a fact of life for most Saudis anyway.

But the way the workers are probably treated would be my main concern as well.
They are basically slaves in most cases. Disposable.

I’m a driver & even have a car.

A 75 mile long city of steel & glass in a desert? Air-con going night & day? Maybe too hot to spend much time outdoors? No thanks. Also no streets to cycle on.
There may be cycle paths running about within the structure. There won't be any driving of cars, I think.
It's a kind of prison, because many people would find themselves trapped.

My wife and I are friends with a woman who now lives in Dubai. She's recently married to a guy who is overseeing the construction of a segment of The Line.
It's hard to imagine a city unlike any other, especially in a place where the weather is so harsh, yet an estimated 100 billion is being thrown at it and construction is happening at a rapid pace.
Would you want to live there as @hunck asks? I wouldn't, but doubtless others will either for the prestige, the novelty or out of necessity (someone's got to run the place afteral).

My wife and I are friends with a woman who now lives in Dubai. She's recently married to a guy who is overseeing the construction of a segment of The Line.
It's hard to imagine a city unlike any other, especially in a place where the weather is so harsh, yet an estimated 100 billion is being thrown at it and construction is happening at a rapid pace.
Would you want to live there as @hunck asks? I wouldn't, but doubtless others will either for the prestige, the novelty or out of necessity (someone's got to run the place afteral).
I'd much rather be living in a shack on the beach in Dahab for certain, but I suppose some people like modernity.

It's a city that has to deal with the curvature of the Earth.
How will it handle earthquakes, I wonder?

I wonder what provision is being made for all the low paid 'anciliary' workers that will be required to cook, clean, etc. No matter where you live, someone has to do the dirty work.

I wonder what provision is being made for all the low paid 'anciliary' workers that will be required to cook, clean, etc. No matter where you live, someone has to do the dirty work.

We've seen how this works often enough.

They will be immigrants sent by recruitment firms in Pakistan and elsewhere. Their passports will be confiscated and they will live out of sight in transport containers until the end of their contracts.

In this scenario, they'll probably bury the containers at a basement level.

Saudi Arabia opens its first shop selling alcohol for over 70 years.
It will be strictly off-limits to Saudi nationals, all muslims and anyone aged under 21 though.
You also currently need to register through diplomatic channels and have to be "properly attired".
Bit different to going down your local Wetherspoons then.
Still, it has to be good news for non-muslim ex-pats and moves to relax the alcohol ban make sense if SA is seeking to boost tourism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68085190

(One of their ideas that is really good.)

If they have so much money to spend why dont they terraform the place? Plant a garden?

Nobodys going to go to some ill designed city; even if it has pubs.

If they have so much money to spend why dont they terraform the place? Plant a garden?
Not so easy in a place that gets about 150mm (6'') of rain a year.
Rising populations are already putting a strain on underground water supplies as it is.

Yes, I saw that photo.

Cloud seeding is used there apparently and of course there are desalination plants.

(I would like to know what effect they have on the planet, if any?)
Although not actually a photo - it’s a somewhat fanciful artists impression. Give it an orange sky & it could be out of Bladerunner 2023.

Along with selling booze, another significant first for Saudi Arabia: Ms. Hattan Alsaif makes history as the first Saudi woman to land a major MMA contract.

"This is one of the greatest things to have happened in my life. It’s also a very big responsibility and I have to take it seriously and carefully. I’ll be representing my country, my family, my team and also every other Saudi female. It’s huge and I’m sure I’m the right person to do it."

mma.png

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2451011/saudi-sport

Back