• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vivid Dreams: Fragments Of Past Lives / Others' Lives?

CelticLaoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hey everyone! I'm new here and was wondering if I'd be able to hear from anyone who may had experienced any kinda vivid dreams, visions or similar.. I had few times "lived" while sleeping (if you could called that) fragments of self life times, from past lives I had, and also other people's.. For instance my last experience was about this very thin child who was sitting at the table in some kind of asylum for orphans, and the poor kid ( a girl with shaved hair) had a plate in front of her with food she clearly didn't want to eat! I felt heartbroken by the site of this poor very thin and neglected kid! I could see her dirty face with some grazes, very clearly, same as the room she was in, the table and chair! I went to her, I picked her up, held her head with my hand like one do with babies, although she was about five, but disabled and very unnourished, and told her, don't worry darling you're safe and coming home with me..! I've tried to make her smile for she was so painfully sad, so I said to her, oh, you got such a cutie little nose and rubbed mine against her few times to make her smile, and she did in the end! Then I just opened my eyes and wondered who was that poor angel?? But felt glad I've saved her from that awful place..! This could may be someone who needs help in some part of this world or another plane of existence, and happened to made contact with me, or a fragment of one of my past lives where Iactually lived that moment, and for some reason I reconnected with it.. It's not the first time I had an experience like that.. I would love to hear some opinions. Thank you for reading. Blessings and love.
Update: I received a message from a friend who actually suggested this was a call for help from a trapped spirit who was seeking to pass over the light and to finally feel free! She chosen to contact me to help her through, and if that's the real thuth, I couldn't feel any happier for having helped her.. BB

I'm not sure from your description why you think its anything other than a dream in the normal sense.

I assume your perception of it as "vivid" made it seem different from regular dreams...but I've never been quite sure what people mean by that. Sharply detailed and remembered perhaps? That might mean it is related to lucid dreaming...that is that some part of your conscious mind is awake during the dream, creating that greater impression of reality.

The idea that dreams are - or can be - gateways to other "planes of existence" isn't unusual though, though I've never seen mine that way. I know there's a group on Facebook I was added to unrequested called Soul Retrievers, whose members believe they do precisely what you describe...commune/help with souls in need while they sleep. I've never established WHY they believe that, but who knows.

I've only occasionally..very occasionally..felt I was verging on lucidity when dreaming, and was analysing the more realistic nature of my surroundings. But it didn't last or turn into anything profound. And on one occasion I had what i saw as the startling experience of someone in my dreams looking me straight in the eye (a perspective I've never noticed befor or since) and with expression of wonder and familiarity, such that I half seriously wondered if they were out there in the real world and dreaming that night too. Except as it turned out the events of that dream did play out in real life a few months later (that is it was precognitive) but there was nothing profound or spiritual or even meaningful about it when they did.

Once had a very vivid and brief dream where I was riding in the back seat of an old sedan, the kind with a bench seat wide as a sofa. I looked across the seat and there was a young boy of about four who flashed me the brightest sunniest smile I have ever seen. At that point I woke, feeling supremely happy.

I then realized the boy in the dream was me at the age of four.

Don't know what, if anything, it means, but I still remember the joy of that smile.

I'm not sure from your description why you think its anything other than a dream in the normal sense.

I assume your perception of it as "vivid" made it seem different from regular dreams...but I've never been quite sure what people mean by that. Sharply detailed and remembered perhaps? That might mean it is related to lucid dreaming...that is that some part of your conscious mind is awake during the dream, creating that greater impression of reality.

The idea that dreams are - or can be - gateways to other "planes of existence" isn't unusual though, though I've never seen mine that way. I know there's a group on Facebook I was added to unrequested called Soul Retrievers, whose members believe they do precisely what you describe...commune/help with souls in need while they sleep. I've never established WHY they believe that, but who knows.

I've only occasionally..very occasionally..felt I was verging on lucidity when dreaming, and was analysing the more realistic nature of my surroundings. But it didn't last or turn into anything profound. And on one occasion I had what i saw as the startling experience of someone in my dreams looking me straight in the eye (a perspective I've never noticed befor or since) and with expression of wonder and familiarity, such that I half seriously wondered if they were out there in the real world and dreaming that night too. Except as it turned out the events of that dream did play out in real life a few months later (that is it was precognitive) but there was nothing profound or spiritual or even meaningful about it when they did.
Thanks for your reply.
I know this was no mere dream. That girl was not me in this life, or was no girl I've ever seen before either in this life time. One either believes in this sort of things or either doesn't.. That's all there is to it.. The spiritual world is very complex and full of surprises..

Ah but CL you are on the Fortean Times message board now. You say "One either believes in this sort of things or either doesn't.. That's all there is to it.." but aren't you here describing your experience because it struck you as decidedly different from an ordinary dream?

Gattino and I are keen to hear how you felt it was different. Was it something about the subject matter, that you don't normally dream about intense encounters with other people? Or was it the detail you noticed in the dream? Or was it more the sensations you had when you woke up? What was different about it from a regular dream?

And you've had several of these before? so did they all share features in common, so when you woke up each time you thought "ah another one of those past life dreams"?

Once, I had a very vivid dream of being a Jewish girl running away from nazis during WWII. It was dark and I remember entering rooms in a house, trying to hide. There were smell, noises and the point of view was from my own eyes and not an 'omniscient' one as it happens often in dreams. I was extremely scared. It was as if I slipped into a parallel universe. I escaped just barely and woke up.
The only jewish I have in me is ancestors who left Spain around 1492.
I dream also about stories I read or write, but that's different, that's too much imagination.:D

Yes to all, specially because they're all in great detail, and I'm "living" the moment, I'm there...! A mere dream is not like that! They didn't all share features in common other than being in great detail and vivid. I didn't have too many of them just about five. Draheste here just published something very interesting, and it seems pretty much like one of my experiences, I mean as in being vivid and in detail, but obviously I can't say more simply because it wasn't me having it, so I don't know what it truly felt like..

I posted my own odd dream experience in the “Dreaming of the dead” thread, however this tale is not mine, and whilst the dreamer has passed, the subject of the dream was rather less well defined.

I spoke with my mum about the dream I had about my gran (her mother), and she reminded me of story that my gran told us both.

For the last decade of her life, my gran lived alone in an ordinary semi-detached bungalow.
Other than a touch of high blood pressure, and some issues with a dodgy hip-replacement she was sprightly, active, with no age related mental issues, and was usually out every day with friends family.

From our shared memory; this would have been a couple of years before she died, so I’d guess 2006/2007.

So, the story that she told us, was that she’d woken up in the middle of the night, she was lying on her side facing into the room, and remembered looking at the clock, and then became aware of a glow on the other side of the bed, so she turned over and there stood a man who was framed by said golden glow.
My gran said that he had a curled blonde hair, a benign smile, and a heavily toned physique.

She didn’t feel threatened at all, indeed he seemed to radiate peace, however, given she was an 80 year old woman who’d just found a glowing, smiling, golden boy in her room, she did what any rational person would do and screamed bloody murder.
At this point, the “man”, looked horrified, and held his hands up, as if to apologise, and began to retreat.

My mum says that she thinks she remembers gran saying it was as if he was “zooming out” as he left; getting smaller and smaller as if retreating into the distance.

Once he’d disappeared, my gran got up, got a glass of water and called my aunt (she lives close by), who went over and checked the bungalow and garden (spoiler alert: no evidence of a shimmering Chippendale was found).

When my gran relayed this to us she said she felt terrible that she’d screamed, and hoped he’d come back, so she could apologise…

The most obvious answer is that she just had a really realistic dream, however my gran was a born again Christian of sorts, so she thought the answer was rather more heaven sent…

My gran said that he had a curled blonde hair, a benign smile, and a heavily toned physique.

she did what any rational person would do

"and shagged him senseless for forty-eight hours, screaming, "I've got the body of a damsel inside me, keep reaching for it!" before expiring in his manly arms."

I must read too much romantic fiction. :(

Last edited:
"and shagged him senseless for forty-eight hours, screaming, "I've got the body of a damsel inside me, keep reaching for it!" before expiring in his manly arms."

I think I read too much romantic fiction. :(

Y'know, it's funny that you say that...

My grandad died many years ago, but my gran married again, however it wasn't the happiest of affairs, with him being a bit of a cold fish (the marriage was annulled).

Despite being her grandson, she did, on occasion, rather over share about her desire for a rather more physical love life (nothing graphic, but enough to disturb).

After she told us of her encounter, I did wonder whether the golden Adonis was wish fulfillment in a dream.

Last night's dream/nightmare was a corker all right. I was by a large river in the middle of a big city. The architecture was definitely European and it felt like somewhere in France. There was a concrete wall blocking my view of the river, so I threw my arms up to the top of the wall and pulled myself up for a look-see. I looked down and there was nothing but a deep concrete trough, so I looked out over the river to where somebody was waving at me from a window in a building on the opposite bank. I lost my grip and let myself back down to ground level.
Behind me, was a small building, a bit like a bus station, with a handful of shops, a few benches and a lot of people milling around. I sat down on a bench and a policeman was standing directly in front of me, aiming a gun at me. He didn't say a word, but a voice shouted in my ear, 'you've seen something you weren't supposed to see'. The copper aimed his pistol and shot me. I could feel the bullets but there was no pain. Then I felt a gigantic 'thud' and I realised I'd been shot in the head. Everything went grey but I could still see and hear. I heard a voice saying 'don't leave him, don't leave him'. Then the policeman came back, aimed the pistol again and everything went black.

This is the first time I've ever dreamt about being shot. And I don't watch a lot of spy/police films either.

Last night's dream/nightmare was a corker all right. I was by a large river in the middle of a big city. The architecture was definitely European and it felt like somewhere in France. There was a concrete wall blocking my view of the river, so I threw my arms up to the top of the wall and pulled myself up for a look-see. I looked down and there was nothing but a deep concrete trough, so I looked out over the river to where somebody was waving at me from a window in a building on the opposite bank. I lost my grip and let myself back down to ground level.
Behind me, was a small building, a bit like a bus station, with a handful of shops, a few benches and a lot of people milling around. I sat down on a bench and a policeman was standing directly in front of me, aiming a gun at me. He didn't say a word, but a voice shouted in my ear, 'you've seen something you weren't supposed to see'. The copper aimed his pistol and shot me. I could feel the bullets but there was no pain. Then I felt a gigantic 'thud' and I realised I'd been shot in the head. Everything went grey but I could still see and hear. I heard a voice saying 'don't leave him, don't leave him'. Then the policeman came back, aimed the pistol again and everything went black.

This is the first time I've ever dreamt about being shot. And I don't watch a lot of spy/police films either.
Yikes! I'd call that a nightmare.

I had a sudden death dream which was less traumatic : I was busy working with some friends in a well lit warehouse on an important group project when my body suddenly disintegrated. Since the project was unfinished, I had to come back, but it would take 20 years to rebuild a body. My friends and I decided it would be really funny if I created a body that people would mistake for someone who thought she was Marie Antoinette.

Getting back to vivid dreams : a couple years before my father died, I dreamed I was following him across a parking lot like the ones surrounding shopping malls in American suburbs. He went into one of those chain restaurants that are often plunked down around the perimeter of the mall parking lots. I followed my father into the restaurant, where there were no customers, only the maitre d, who stood silently behind a counter. My father didn't seem to see him, but continued into a dining area which was blindingly lit. Everything in there, the chairs, the carpet, the tables, the table cloths, were brilliantly white. My father continued in there, and disappeared behind a wall. I didn't follow him, but suddenly felt rude for not having greeted the maitre d. I turned around and walked to him. He smiled at me, looked directly into my eyes, and handed me his card. His name was clearly legible on the card. He said something like, "Shalom alach[something]", and I tried to say "Shalom" back, but stumbled over the words and said something like, "Alach[something] shalom." When I woke up, I couldn't recall the name on the card. I tried Googling a phonetic version of what I recalled our words sounding like and found this : "shalom aleichem", which is a Jewish greeting. To my knowledge, there is no Jewish ancestry in my family. I've studied Arabic (not successfully -- it's really hard!) which has a similar greeting but it was definitely the Jewish greeting I heard in my dream. I had heard the Jewish greeting maybe once before in my life.

I love dreams. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for that Golden Adonis your gram saw, Baron Hardacre!

I had a dream in '91 where I was just sat at work looking at the computer monitor and working on company stock levels. The only things I could see in my dream were the monitor and my hands typing. All of sudden, a feeling of immense sadness came over me and I heard a voice (taking to someone else) say "****** father has died" .. I worked for my Dad at the time so the voice was talking about my Grandad.

Obviously it wasn't a pleasant dream so I didn't really dwell on it other than to mention it in passing to my best mate the next day. The day after I saw my mate, we received a phone call. My Mum had answered the phone but a strong feeling of sadness came over me and I felt as if I knew already that it was my Gran on the phone and that my Grandad had died which proved to be the case. He'd been in relatively good health and just died in his sleep on his settee so his death wasn't expected at all.

I went to see my mate after we went to visit my Gran, my Mum had already phoned him to warn him what had happened, one of the first things he said was "I know this probably isn't a good time but do you remember that you told me you'd dreamt he was going to die?". Me and my Grandad were extremely close, I didn't tell my parents about the dream until a long time afterwards because I didn't want to upset them further ..

A friend of mine years ago described such a death as the death of the blessed -- meaning only those who are truly good get to die in such a peaceful way. It is still sad for you. I hope the years have eased the pain, and that now the joy of having known him is more present than the pain of having lost him.
If you dream of him again, remember what he tells you!

Never had them since, but a series of dreams which were more internally coherent and consistent than the usual were from the perspective of a German soldier fighting on the Eastern Front: for instance, remembering travelling in a train compartment where the glass had been taken from the windows and the apereture covered over - I guess to guard against blast and shrapnel sending broken glass everywhere - with only a narrow open slot left to see through, possibly to confirm which station the train was stopping at. After dreaming vividly of fighting guys I knew were Russians in a city - the feeling was Poland or East Prussia - retreated out of the city into the countryside only to be bushwhacked by the Red Army, and dreamt my own death - the dreams stopped after that. I'd hesitate to say "past life" as I've always been historically interested in the WW2 period, so it could have been elaborate dream theatre based on general reading. (In the dreams, though, I was completely fluent in the weaponry as if I handled it every day. How long does it take to give a squaddie this level of familiarity?)

An unrelated mini-dream that recurred: being in a warm place in the sun with the ground swaying under my feet, looking up, seeing masts and sails. Just a glimpse. Strong association with the Pacific Ocean, great sense of wellbeing and optimism. I've never been THAT interested in old sailing ships...

I had a dream that the setting was so realistic that I tried to find it on the web. Difficult to do.

The description is in no way of a Christian religion theme, but the words I use are the only way I know how to describe things in the dream.

I dreamt that I was a nun or acolyte in a huge stone cathedral that had many open levels with great arched windows opening out over a vast pool. I'm pretty sure that access to these levels (which only were to access the windows to the pool) were from stone steps built up behind the walls.

This arena was circular and the pool in the middle.

There were numerous female only acolytes who stood at the numerous windows. We all would jump into the pool far below us.

I, in the dream, jumped and only swam in the pool, but did have a vague knowledge that the acolytes were used as sacrifices and did not necessarily just swim in the pool. Most, I believe (because of the setting being in a distant past) drowned since they wouldn't know how to swim.
This is the closest picture that I can get that looks similar to my dream. The pool would be in the middle of the structure. I never saw the outside of the structure as I was in window facing pool, but I did see the access steps behind me.

1667931394615.jpeg

I had a particularly 'realistic' dream (or nightmare!) years ago which I still remember clearly and wrote down at the time. It was in what must have been the early 18th century in the UK and I was some kind of thief or highwayman, although not the Dick Turpin type gentleman rogue depicted in films! As is often the case with dreams, it seemed to go on for weeks or months and I was a pretty nasty character. It felt like it was in East Anglia but not really sure why I felt that.
I seemed to know a few safe houses where I could lie low after a crime and also hide stolen items. I was hiding in the loft of a timber framed shop when I heard horses outside and then banging on the door -I heard the shopkeeper arguing for a short time then what was obviously a search going on downstairs. I had no escape route and just felt resigned that my luck had run out. I had a couple of flintlock pistols and ran down the stairs to try and get out but was confronted by several soldiers with pistols and rifles and it ended with me being shot several times and dying -I remember I could feel the musket balls hitting me in the chest and stomach with a sharp thud. Weird!

I had a dream that the setting was so realistic that I tried to find it on the web. Difficult to do.

The description is in no way of a Christian religion theme, but the words I use are the only way I know how to describe things in the dream.

I dreamt that I was a nun or acolyte in a huge stone cathedral that had many open levels with great arched windows opening out over a vast pool. I'm pretty sure that access to these levels (which only were to access the windows to the pool) were from stone steps built up behind the walls.

This arena was circular and the pool in the middle.

There were numerous female only acolytes who stood at the numerous windows. We all would jump into the pool far below us.

I, in the dream, jumped and only swam in the pool, but did have a vague knowledge that the acolytes were used as sacrifices and did not necessarily just swim in the pool. Most, I believe (because of the setting being in a distant past) drowned since they wouldn't know how to swim.
This is the closest picture that I can get that looks similar to my dream. The pool would be in the middle of the structure. I never saw the outside of the structure as I was in window facing pool, but I did see the access steps behind me.

View attachment 60597
From around 80 AD, the Colosseum had a design update to allow water to be diverted from nearby aqueducts to create a central pool. There are historical accounts of stylised naval battles being staged using this facility. Given the Romans' taste for public cruelty and gross diversion, it wouldn't surprise me if the temporarily flooded Colosseum were used for sacrifice too.

From around 80 AD, the Colosseum had a design update to allow water to be diverted from nearby aqueducts to create a central pool. There are historical accounts of stylised naval battles being staged using this facility. Given the Romans' taste for public cruelty and gross diversion, it wouldn't surprise me if the temporarily flooded Colosseum were used for sacrifice too.

Human sacrifices were not very common in Rome…”

Roman religion did not as such really practice human sacrifice.”

maximus otter

Just to back up. I never said that the setting was Roman or otherwise. The architecture did very much resemble Roman architecture. As to the sacrificial/religious element, I also did not, and do not know of ancient practises like this.

Actually, upon some more thought, I did not see anyone die. The women were all standing at different levels and windows and jumped in at the same time. I knew this was some type of sacrificial ritual, but not what exactly. It wasn't as if the women were expected to die, only that I knew some probably would. The ritual would not be a failure if no one drowned, but it was an expectation that if you died, you did it willingly as was your role. There was no panic in the acolytes when preparing to jump.

I jumped and swam, but in my mind, I knew that possibly there were drowned bodies below me.

Back