• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vivid Dreams Of Imperfect / Flawed Things

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
The last dream of that morning was a news report on a social media fad of people posting images of grand old brownstone buildings in various British cities...
I have the most vivid reoccurring dream.

The setting is a large country mansion, the owner is recently deceased and I am attending an auction of his estate belongings.

I am firstly at the sale preview, examining prospective items for purchase. Initially, I view a collection of large telescopes, displayed on top of a tall cabinet.

They are antique, rare, and highly desirable, yet something is immediately amiss.

All of them have a significant defect of some kind.

This transmits to the entire auction goods.

There are female window dressing mannequins from the 1930s, all with contemporary 'Charleston' poses and hairstyles.

However, every one is slightly damaged, whether a broken off arm, or facial details chipped away.

Although most striking is a spiral staircase in the room, the bottom 4 or 5 steps are missing and it doesn't reach the floor.

Our scenario extends when I visit further rooms in the capacious house. Some are filled with paintings, others have vast shelves of books.

The paintings though have blemishes and the books' condition is forever slight distress.

Proceeding through the house, I come to an enormous, lengthy conservatory, in which there is a long pool. Think along the lines of a small Taj Mahal type waterway.

Once again, there are signs of neglect all around. Typically, never anything devastating, yet always enough to be imperfect.

It's not an unsettling dream and the eternal feeling is simply one of disappointment. It's a case of, 'if only'... so many things which, if perfect, would be quite wonderful and I would bid to buy them.

If I had a conclusion... probably a dream which has subconscious undertones relating to myself.

Never quite perfect... there's always a flaw!

It's a fascinating topic and bizarrely, in my own situation, a dream which so vividly recurs - albeit with slight variences each time - every 5-6 years or thereabouts and four times thus so far. :)

I wonder if it's because you have reached an age where you are able to have things you once coveted but find you don't really want them anymore?
What a fabulous idea! :evillaugh:

Not so, however, the dream began some twenty years ago and when, for no fathomable reason recurs, it's an ongoing, engaging episode.

After posting, I remembered the last time included one significant new development - a lady companion!

She was sophisticated, elegant and dressed from the circa 1900s era.

This lady was more experienced in such matters as country house auctions... let me illustrate.

There were two exceeding tall gentlemen also in attendance, replete with striped trousers.

Expressing my puzzlement, said lady companion explained it was quite the fashion for men to go around on stilts.

The setting, overall, was rather symbolic as from 'The Prisoner' TV series, of which I remain a devotee!

A couple of images which approximately correspond... :)

Screenshot_20201122_113717_resize_47.jpg

Screenshot_20201122_114105_resize_47.jpg

If the lady companion in your dream resembles the lady in the photo, she doesn't seem very imperfect/flawed!
Perhaps your dream world prospects are improving.

If the lady companion in your dream resembles the lady in the photo, she doesn't seem very imperfect/flawed!
I hadn't thought of this!

You are absolutely correct, the companion in my dream was indeed perfect - very much an, 'upper class' Lady who had maturity in respect of the, 'country house sale of deceased's estate' scenario.

You now have myself wondering if I can somehow make this dream reappear and see what transpires next!

Maybe if I think about it when recognising I'm about to fall asleep - shall experiment this very evening. :)

In a delightful Fortean tangent, whilst looking for images of 1930s mannequins comparable with my dream, I came across this remarkable story.

Appreciating it is straying off-topic, if need be moved elsewhere, then obviously please as necessary.

I adore these unexpected and fascinating little twists.

The surreal true story of Cynthia the movie star mannequin

https://lwlies.com/articles/cynthia-the-movie-star-mannequin/

Sometimes I get recurring dreams until I decide to act in some way to change things for the better.

Example: I use to get a "movie" dream, where I'm watching people in a house fend off skeletons (or zombies...it's been a while). After seeing this dream happen many times over, I decided to step into it and help them fend off the skeletons/zombies coming up from the basement. They overwhelmed all of us and I woke up.

The next time I had the dream, I realized what I had to do. I stepped into the dream-movie and simply told them to barricade the basement door. That once they did that, they'd be able to handle the rest of the skeletons/zombies. Then I stepped out of the dream again but continued watching and that's exactly what happened. Never had the dream again.

@Comfortably Numb I wonder if you tried to "fix" the steps on the spiral staircase you described, even just going toward them with the intent to fix them, if that would diffuse this particular dream for you....

Back