• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Voices Heard Underground Or Coming From Underground

A

Anonymous

Here's a story I came across looking for more material on the Tape from Hell:

A Muscovite named Stanislav Dolgher and his wife bought a dacha (cottage) lot in a village outside Moscow and began working on its development. Since the nearest water source was 500 m away, they decided that they needed a well. According to their neighbours, the water in that area was 7 m deep. In spring, Stanislav ordered 8 concrete rings and began digging on his own, working on the weekends. Every weekend he would go up to 1 m into the ground and then drive back to the capital so the rings could settle evenly.

Weird things began happening when he got to the sixth ring – 6 m deep into the ground. He began hearing clear voices – male, female and children’s. The language was sharp and reminded German. Stanislav compared the voices to those in a regular household – sometimes everything was quiet, sometimes they were talking at the same time, as if quarrelling and interrupting one another. Suspicions that it was his wife talking to the neighbours weren't confirmed. Stanislav thought there was something wrong with his head but he had to rule out that option: every time he climbed up from the hole, the sound of voices would get weaker and disappear on the ground level – they were not inside his head all the time, he realized. In his own words, the voices were ‘tied up to a specific location’. His wife was much too scared to go down and listen.

Stanislav had another idea – suppose there was a secret bunker or an underground base nearby. But no-one in the village heard of such facility. He even considered the possibility of phone cables leaking sound – but who would dig 6 m deep to lay cable? So Stanislav has come to the only remaining conclusion – that he had been digging right near a residence of gnomes or some other subterranean creatures. He even stopped digging for a while waiting for something bad to happen, but nothing extraordinary took place on his lot or around it. So he resumed his digging which was uneventful – other than a constant animated chatter of invisible voices right above his head. He went one more meter down into the ground and in the evening went back to Moscow. When he returned the following weekend there was already water splashing around in the well. There was nothing unusual about it – regular taste, as a test from a local health lab showed.

Here's the link to this story:

ddd.kursknet.ru/planet.php?article=156
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, the linked site is in Russian and has a picture of the Devil on it.
I can sort of see where this is going. ;)

Escargot,
The picture has nothing to do with gnomes or whoever was tallking - it's an illustration for the Sounds of Hell tape story in the first part of the article.
And I'd be really interested to know where this is going, in your view? ;) What do you mean?

Six meters seems pretty deep for this, but there's all sorts of things in the ground that could conduct sound in strange ways.

Solid rock could lead to weird acoustical paths. Old pipes could serve as a conduit for sound. Possibly the well itself is focusing sound from above in some strange way.

There's plenty of old stories about weird voices coming from underground. I wonder if there's any knowledge among miners about sound travelling strangely underground.

This sort of story reminds me a bit of the old "Toronto Tunnel Monster" story, or that story about the mysterious Hypogeum tunnels in Malta, where allegedly a group of schoolchildren on a tour once vanished without a trace, and all that the rescue party ever recovered was, well, something icky and morbid, I can't remember exactly how the story went. Distant agonized shrieks echoing from the chasms of the abyss, yada yada, that sort of thing.

For more on the Hypogeum topic(s) go to:

Hypogeum Of Hal Saflienti (Malta): MIA Kids Tale; Elongated Skulls, etc.
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...alta-mia-kids-tale-elongated-skulls-etc.8319/

Graylien,

You can see the original newspaper article and download an mp3 file of the Hell tape here (click on the round button in the middle of the page):

omolenko.com/texts/hell.htm
Link is dead. An archived version of the 2005 webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050208001355/http://www.omolenko.com/texts/hell.htm

NOTE: The mp3 download link in the Wayback's archived version does not work.

But I wouldn't do it at bedtime. :shock:

If you are interested in the history of the Sounds of Hell tape, I found this in the original source:
* The event took place in the late 1980s when the U.S.S.R. still existed.
* The drill site is located in the northwest Kola Peninsula, near the port of Murmansk and the Norwegian border.
* The goal of the drilling expedition was to record the sound of lithospheric plate movement. The enormous work started in the 70s. Samples and temperature measurements were taken at each new bed (level) and carefully stored in boxes. The gigantic drilling rig is still there and is reportedly 20 storeys tall.
* The depth where the recording was made apparently was 14 km (according to one source, 14.4 km). According to other sources, the core sample taken in 1991 was from 12,261 m below surface. First time in the history of geology an uninterrupted subcrop of two extremely ancient complexes dating from 3 to 1,6 billion years have been opened.
* The project manager’s last name at the time of the incident was Azzakov. He is quoted saying: "As a Communist, I don’t believe in Heaven or the Bible, but as a scientist, I now believe in the existence of Hell. Needless to say, we were stunned after making this discovery . . . The screams and wails were not those of a single person – they were the screams, wails and moans of millions of people".

rjm wrote: a type of anti-soviet religious propaganda to try and convince people that Hell does exist.
Trust me, rjm, it is highly unlikely, considering the real persons involved such as the existing project manager, his professional position and his party status (you had to be in the CPSU to hold a position like that).

as for the well, obviously the sound is coming from somewhere transmitted through the rocks, perhaps there's some previously unknown property of the rock in this part of Europe, i wonder if it can transmit sound both ways, that would make for one very interesting conversation!

Doesn't sound much like the Toronto Tunnel monster to me at all . . . apart from the fact that both stories include going underground.

-Fitz

as for the well, obviously the sound is coming from somewhere transmitted through the rocks

How then could the guy be going down one meter a day if it was solid rock?? And what's the point in his going public - to be ridiculed?

In a treatise on mining written by Agricola, there is a warning about the dangers kobolds pose to miners.

The good old "Freakylinks" website (and YES -- I know it
was a fictional show!!!) had a section with videoclips
from actual "paranormal" venues in the US deep south.

One clip featured a really old guy who had removed
a tree stump on his property. It revealed a deep hole
under the tree, and when a garden hose was lowered
down the hole, a very eerie droning could be heard.
Many voices, all very low with some stopping and
starting at random. Really creepy!

The old man repeatedly insisted it was "voices of
the dead", but was more likely a combo of air
moving through a newly-exposed limestone tunnel
and air moving past/through the hose itself.

Very easily explained -- but to this day I'll ease
tension by breaking into my best hillbilly accent
and stating: "It's the voices of the deay-ad!"

TVgeek

(Not sure if this is the best place for this...)

My grandfather was a coal miner in Kentucky from roughly 1935 to 1975. He's passed away for a while now (he had black lung like most miners), but recently my Dad was telling me that, underground, the miners would often hear voices, even when they knew for a fact they were the only people in the mines. Dad didn't have any other details, just that the voices were often unintelligable, though it was definately like human speech.

Now, I don't think this is like the Tommyknockers or anything like that, but is this a common occurance among miners? Is there a solid scientific explination?

No doubt books have been written on mining superstitions.

There are many such stories here in Cornwall where mining was carried out for (possibly) thousands of years.

A mine by its very nature is never quiet - the rocks shift under the changed stresses caused by the excavation, and there is usually running water. Put this in an environment with strange acoustics where sounds may travel quite some distance, and it would be strange in itself if nothing 'strange' was heard from time to time!

And if you're down there with the only illumination coming from a candle on your hat (as was the case for hundreds of years, before the Cornishman Davey invented the safety lamp), where the least sound might presage the start of a fatal rockfall, you're bound to be a little jumpy and prone to imagine things - or rather, misperceive things.

Then again, most mines have experienced fatal accidents, so maybe spooky things result from that....

PS: I just Googled on Cornish mining Superstitions, and got 31,000 hits!
Google link

Is that the most mentions of Cornwall in a single post? Well done, Rynn!

I figured there was some kind of report or study of the accostics of mines, and that miners might be hearing their own voices reverberating up the mine and then back at them, but they are so changed as to be unrecognizable.

Or is could be Cornish Mine Ghosts.... :D

I wonder if mine shafts and tunnels might act as resonance chambers and relay human voices coming clear from the surface.

But I am certainly not opposed to a paranormal explanation. Perhaps chambers of certain shapes act as capacitors for psychic energies? Such chambers range from the "Creeping Coffins of Barbadoes" (the Chase vault) to the Spiritualist medium's cabinet.

Back