• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Voices in the house and other happenings

Loquaciousness

The misuse of the word "fact" annoys me
Basically, this all started in March of last year. We had returned that day from an exhausting 400 mile round trip to attend the funeral of my friend and her two children who died in tragic circumstances. As you can imagine, we were emotional and tired, but strangely also more at peace than we had been since the day they had died.
That night about 2ish I woke up as I could hear scratching noises downstairs. Not that surprising as we have a cat who likes to sleep downstairs in the living room, but these sounded more like someone's fingernails scratching on wood.
I was also getting annoyed, as I thought she was attacking the furniture again.
As a result I woke up my husband and asked him to remove 'his' cat from the living room to our bed to stop her from destroying the furniture. He did, but soon after the scratching started again. My husband then heard it too.
We are both quite rational and naturally sceptical, so we though there must be some other but explainable reason, although we couldn't come up with one. Our house being a 70's concrete/brick construction doesn't really settle at night or make noises.
We did freak out when we started to hear loud laboured sighs/breathing. At this point all the lights went on, the toddler was also transplanted to our bed, and we spend the rest of the night mostly awake just waiting for daylight.
The following morning my husband voiced what we had both thought "I think one of them followed us home".
A week later I was working in our front garden when the son of our neighbour from over the road, stopped to tell me that his father had died the previous week. It had happened in the middle of the night ( the night we had heard the noises ) and he had collapsed in the bathroom not being found until the next morning.....
Fast forward to Summer of last year. To help explain - our downstairs is fairly open plan, with a big glass door (usually kept open ) leading to the living room which also contains the stairs leading upstairs. There is also a door, from the living room into the porch. The house, however, is well set back from the road. We were talking in the kitchen whilst I was preparing dinner, with our toddler playing in the living room. We heard him go upstairs, and then a voice from the stairs. It was so loud, that we both stopped talking to each other and were somewhat alarmed, as we thought someone had walked into our living room. However, there was no-one at all there, and all the windows were closed ! We both agreed the voice had been female and said "Hello little boy".
Ever since last year, I often feel I am being watched and when I am on my own due to my husband being away on business, I have to sleep with the lights on.

That's interesting, and creepy.

But you can just ask the entity to leave. Ask politely but firmly. Should work.

I am not sure whether they were/are both one and the same. I went to a spiritualist awareness circle, and I was told there, that the female voice we had heard was nothing to worry about and a relative who wanted to meet our son. Which got us thinking, as my husband's mother died many years ago.
On the advice of other people we have also asked whoever/whatever it is to please stop scaring us and not visit in the house.
Another detail I didn't add, is that our nearly three year old will not go into the porch ( which leads straight off living room ) as he is scared by the 'shark' that lives there. We have tried to find out more about this shark, and apparently he is a scary man ? Not sure what to make of this, as obviously at that age children are also gifted with quite an imagination.

Loquaciousness said:
We have tried to find out more about this shark, and apparently he is a scary man ?

Do keep us updated about this. A shark who is a man, eh? Does your child know what a shark looks like? Could be a description of a very large insect. I got totally freaked out by cicadas when I was four.

Oh he knows what sharks are, he is a big fan due to watching Octonauts. He even knows the difference between lemonsharks, whalesharks and hammerheads, and has little plastic one. This is why it is so perplexing that he is scared of this particular one !

This is really interesting - great to read that these things happen and would love to hear something myself - but don't know how I'd react if it was in my own home!
Have you tried to get a recording of the voice yet?
When you hear some EVP played back they can be very questionable, but others are quite striking for instance in the Ghosthunters TV show "Princess" episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUHCM6NyWA
Hope your experiences don't scare you and your family too much
Keep us informed....

Thanks everyone, and will certainly keep you all posted.
Not tried recording the voice - as I am sort of scared that this might encourage them ?

Unnerving. Have you asked your little boy what the shark man looks like? You'd have to be careful not to feed his fear, but it might help you get some idea why he thinks of him as a shark?

This is probably my imagination working overtime, but the description of a man /shark suggests someone, something, with a large grinning mouth full of sharp pointed teeth, grey skin and fathomless black eyes... :shock:

Please don't take this a criticism it's just an observation, but I find your saying that you're naturally sceptical and then that you went to spiritualist awareness circle contradictory. My advise would be to steer clear of that sort of crap, don't rely on these shyster's advice on something that's naturally of concern and importance to you.

i had the same thought, how can you be naturally skeptical and rational and then go to a spiritualist meeting? sounds contradictory.

..but i think the real issue here is with "forteans"...especially and including the poster above advising you to "avoid that crap", his job i guess to be the voice of reason.

...issue being you all want to experience the paranormal, but the closest you can get is to sidle up the fortean, the puzzling or bizarre, all the while dismissing and explaining away your experiences...sometimes desperately. this is like a support group for those afraid of the paranormal. the best i can wish for all of you is to really experience...and then to NOT knock yourself out trying to "rationally" explain it. stop being so afraid.

Yes. I belong to my local spiritualist church, and I find Old Rover's sweeping generalisation fairly offensive.
But I rise above such ignorance, and concentrate on writing limericks! :)
It 's a case of "each to his/her own", surely?

Actually, I don't find it contradictory at all. How can you say you don't believe in something or even form an opinion, if you have not explored all the difference explanations/avenues ?

Firstly Recycled 1 I really am sorry for having offended you personally.

...issue being you all want to experience the paranormal, but the closest you can get is to sidle up the fortean, the puzzling or bizarre, all the while dismissing and explaining away your experiences...sometimes desperately. this is like a support group for those afraid of the paranormal. the best i can wish for all of you is to really experience...and then to NOT knock yourself out trying to "rationally" explain it. stop being so afraid.

I didn’t mean to suggest that you need to explain away your experiences so much as be critical about them and the sources you consult for advise.

I think you do need knock yourself out to try as hard as you can to rationally explain what you are, or what you think you may be experiencing. If you honestly can’t then you have something worth pondering. After all we’re all expected to be analytical and critical in every other aspect of life, why should this type of experience be any different? It should be the experience that’s bizarre, inexplicable and out of the ordinary, not our response to it. Being sceptical is not the same as being dismissive, and being critical isn’t the same as being afraid.

Actually, I don't find it contradictory at all. How can you say you don't believe in something or even form an opinion, if you have not explored all the difference explanations/avenues ?

There’s nothing to suggest in what I said that I doubted your account, in fact it sounds eerily familiar. All I meant was what I said, and I stand by my original point because I think it’s worth querying.

Loquaciousness said:

Hear hear! :yeay:

plus those kinds of places are inherently interesting

Back