• Please be advised there is a potential issue with DD collections, which may result in an excessive amount being taken. Please read the stickied thread in Fortean Times Magazine > General Discussion, Subs etc

Volcanos / Volcanoes

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Channel 5 (surprisingly) had a good programme on about Pompeii/Herculaneum/Vesuvius last night, presented by (I think) Bettany Hughes(?)

She was fairly good really. However for some reason I can't remember what her face looks like.

Rappinghood

Devoted Cultist
Highly recommend the new documentary about the Kraffts, Fire of Love.

Some of the best footage of human/volcano interaction you'll ever see.

The visuals and sound mean it's a must see in the cinema.

Trevp666

hunck

Antediluvian
This is an interesting 2 parter investigating on the Vanuatu archipelago on the S.Pacific ring of fire & the islanders who live on it & revere Prince Philip, with an Australian team of geologists. First part is on Tanna, which has a very active volcano, more or less constantly erupting. Their job is to collect a fresh lava bomb & monitor gas emissions to try to forecast whether the volcano could be heading for another major eruption. It involves waiting for an opportune moment to run down from the rim & collect a fresh bomb between eruptions which happen about every few minutes, hoping to avoid getting hit by one. A large lake on the island disappeared in a matter of hours & drained into the sea after a ‘quake a few years ago.

Part 2 is on Ambrym where they abseil down from the rim closer to the active volcano, one of only 5 lava lakes on the planet, a fearsome heaving cauldron of molten lava & sulphur dioxide emissions. Acid rain & acid gas. Scary stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04xxa5/kate-humble-into-the-volcano-episode-1

1669719972420.png

Trevp666

As they do for a lot of eruptions, Afar TV have a live webcam of the Mauna Loa volcano.

Trevp666

Another one.
Mount Semeru in Indonesia.
Exactly 1 year after it last erupted.

Indonesia's Mount Semeru volcano has erupted, sending ash billowing into the sky and sparking evacuations on the country's main island, Java.
Authorities raised the volcano's warning status to the highest level, meaning its activity had escalated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63850653

Trevp666

'Lascar' in Chile has decided to have a rumble.

Chilean officials have put a safety warning in place after a volcano sent an eruptive column 6,000m (almost 20,000ft) into the sky.
Lascar volcano, which sits in the Andes, rumbled into action on Saturday, triggering minor earth tremors.
No damage in the surrounding area has so far been reported, but an initial green warning was raised to yellow.
Chile's National Geology and Mining Service (Sernageomin) defines "yellow" as meaning a volcano is unstable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-63932228