• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Voyeurs..hehe...yea, right!

fayyaad

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has anyone had the feeling that they're being watched? While no one else is around?
To explain things I'll have to describe the bathroom/toilet in my cousin's house...
The room is "U" shaped (well, a very squared off "U", but nonetheless...), with the entry end of the "U" shorter than the other. So as you enter the bathroom, you're faced with the basin. You turn right, and the shower is right next to the basin. Turn right again and after a few more steps you get the toilet itelf. In other words, the shower is facing the toilet. Ok...that being said, I get this unshakable feeling that I was being watched while I...erm...used the facilities. Watched from the shower, no less. I make a point of opening the shower curtains before I go :blah: The feeling persists, however.
Now this is itself isn't too much to scream abt...I'm sure we all get that creepy feeling of being watched, especially when we're reading a particularly creepy thread!! :eek!!!!:
The part that creepses me out was that this selfsame feeling was described by no less than 4 other cousins who frequent the house like I do (and this without any prompting, either!! They came up to me and asked me if I noticed anything weird about the toilet.)

What I want to know is, is there some kind of conditioned mental reflex that gives us this feeling of being watched while under certain conditions? Has anyone ever experienced something similar to this (and not necessarily in a toilet, either!!)

I think it is probably similar to when I was a child and always thought that there was someone/thing watching me from the walk-in wardrobe in my bedroom. The door didn't shut properly so there were always weird shadows in there which the imagination could make look like faces.

Mind you, I always had this thing where I had to be out of the bathroom before the toilet had finished flushing, or something nasty would get me!

It must be hell if you have a shy bladder...

I used to get a very similar feeling on my sister's landing. I used to look at my feet and hurry on through to the toilet when passing across it. Later, one of my nieces told me how they used to run all the way to the toilet and back again in the night because they found it creepy. Most odd...

Hahaha! I've seen that before... seems slightly odd for a problem that at the end of the day is just a case of modesty really... I prefer to take a leak unwatched... maybe I should take counselling...

Adrian Veidt said:
....Mind you, I always had this thing where I had to be out of the bathroom before the toilet had finished flushing, or something nasty would get me!

Good grief, I'd forgotten that I did that! It can only have been for a year or two, and never at home, only other people's houses. (The only nasty thing in our loo was the smell of Domestos)

Fayyaad, where are the mirrors in this bathroom? Could you be catching movement in one out of the corner of your eye? A glimpse so subliminal it's only registering with your subconcious?

Adrian Veidt said:
Mind you, I always had this thing where I had to be out of the bathroom before the toilet had finished flushing, or something nasty would get me!

yep, i had that too! i still do kinda, but it isnt as bad...

though when im at a certain friends house im convinced im being watched when im in the shower..but that could just be my paranioa because im nakie!:D

i share your pain...

i was always outta the loo before the bog finished flushing coz i was scared of the noise.........i still do it these days when it night and ive woken up 2 go pee......and i think about the things on this message board, and the noise of the flush bloody scares me and i run back to bed, waking my parents up, and they tell me off for being a scaredy goose....well u get the gist of it.
i feel like im being watched a lot, but hardly in the bathroom. when im outside, i get an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach...:confused:

I had a girlfriend who always felt there was another man present when she was, ahem, alone with a man.

She'd feel 'he' was there in the corner of the room, quietly watching, and if she fell asleep and awoke in the middle of the night, he was still there, and had sometimes moved closer to the bed. Brrr. Spooked the beJesus out of me, I can tell you!

lol im the opposite when it comes to public toilets..i prefer when there are others there, preferably more than one though. I just think that if there is other people there, then its less likly for something spooky to happen..

damn i think ive watched the candy man one too many times!:D

Pinklefish said:
I can't pee in public loos, if there is someone else in there. And even after they've left I really have to concentrate. Even if I was busting to go a minute ago.

I think this is fairly common, especially for blokes on a night out drinking...
You're bursting for a pee, get to the Gents, stand there all expectant, in walks someone else...and 'no flow'!
So there you are, not peeing, mrChopper in hand, smiling sweetly at urinating neighbour :D
...and you know they're thinking "He's not peeing, he's just stood in here to look at other men's members. Pervert!"

Thank God for toilet cubicles!:D

I used to have a problem peeing if anyone was around. Which is odd as I'm not shy about things like that generally. Then I discovered that it was the antidepressants I was on that were doing it to me. Doctor never thought to mention it. They even give them to kids to stop them wetting the bed.
Always read the leaflet. :rolleyes:

beakboo said:
Fayyaad, where are the mirrors in this bathroom? Could you be catching movement in one out of the corner of your eye? A glimpse so subliminal it's only registering with your subconcious?

Mirror is actually around the corner where the basin is....you can't see it from the loo itself.
UrbanDruid: I think I'd be a lot more freaked out by someone who CONFIRMED that someone/something was there than just a vague suspicion of being leered at.... but that could be just me.

i reckon a person died in the bathroom, as a result of a terrible accident regarding the impalation of said person on the shower pole. and now that persons soul is impaled on the shower pole for eternity, pervertedly watching people doing their natural functions.
what say u?

Vampira> HA! You are now my favourite poster on this board.

Fayyard will never go to the bathroom ever again, tho, you realise?

JackSkellington said:
Vampira> HA! You are now my favourite poster on this board.

Fayyard will never go to the bathroom ever again, tho, you realise?

:D u have just brought my self esteem up 20 points :D
well done!

fayyaad...consider getting an excorcist. either that or settle with a dead perv WATCHING you:madeyes:

I don't have a problem with using the facilities in public, so long as no one speaks to me. I've actually asked people, "Um, you want to wait (on the conversation), and I'll catch up with you later?" It's really bad if you're in the stall and they recognise your shoes: "Hey, Mike, everything okay?"

"No, I'm trying to focus, and you're talking to me."

ballzack said:
I dont like it when Im taking a dump and someone is listening to it plop into the water.
I can remember one time my friend Jake was in the other room and every time I let a loaf splash in the pan he would laugh out loud at me. It broke my concentration and I was so mad I forgot to wipe.

i feel the same (uh, not the forgetting to wipe, i mean, people hearing my 'noise'). at school, if i need 2 go and there is already sum1 there, i wait 'till they go!!!! its ok if they're already in a cubicle (they dont know who i am) but if they're washing their hands or tartin emselves up, den i stand waitin in my cubicle! sad, i know.:rolleyes:

A bit OT, if someone is in the stall next to you - smear chocolate over you hand then reach under the stall and ask if they can spare some toilet paper!

Guaranteed to freak most people out.

good one, crypto!

another to try: put some squirty peanut butter on a tissue, fold it up a bit (if you want) and chuck it under the stall next to you. then say 'whoops, can i have it back please?'
immature but fun :)

crypto said:
A bit OT, if someone is in the stall next to you - smear chocolate over you hand then reach under the stall and ask if they can spare some toilet paper

Or alternatively stand on a railway platform next to the chocolate bar dispenser and smear...no...never mind.

JackSkellington said:
... seems slightly odd for a problem that at the end of the day is just a case of modesty really... I prefer to take a leak unwatched...

I've often wondered (well not that often - I don't spend a lot of time thinking about pissing apart from when I'm on the Tube after a night on the lash. And then it's an all consuming obsession).

Anyway, I have occasionally wondered whether this is not actually a residual survival instinct rather than a result of shyness or modesty.

When you take a leak you are pretty vulnerable from both a male and female position. Your mobility and field of vision are limited and, judging by how exhausting taking a piss can be when you are sick (or is that just me), you are expending quite a bit of energy. Of course our primitive ancestors might have taken a more practical view on the matter and just voided themselves on the move if necessary but at some point, presumably when we started wearing clothes, this became an even less pleasant or hygienic option.

So, you are out hunting something big and dangerous and you need a leak - do you shove your spear between your teeth and piss while turning in a circle, which while giving you a fair warning of approaching danger would make you unpopular with, and not a little hazardous to, those standing nearby. Or do you just become extremely sensitive to your surroundings and clamp up at the slightest noise or movement?

I’ve always kind of assumed it’s the latter and that when your bladder refuses to respond despite its overcapacity because two pissed-up arseholes are roaring at each other behind you in the urinals its doing so for the same reason that your ancestor's did because he thought his backside was about to get ripped off by a bloody big bear.

Adrian Veidt said:

You know why this is, Adrian - because there's a ghost down the toilet! The flushing of the toilet activates it and you have to get downstairs before it finishes flushing or the ghost will get you and you will die an awful death. This is true - I have known of this phenomenon since I was at least 5.

Carole, who always wears running shoes when she goes to the loo :p

I used to think there was a monster in there. If you sat there too long, it came up and grabbed....

*ahem* anyway, moving on! :rolleyes:

That would be a far worse fate for boys than girls, Spooky!;)

Carole

Very true! Esp since it was prob my brother who thought it up! :p

Fayaad, is the shower tiled or lined with a semi reflective material like metal or perspex? I say this because if the toilet area is highly illuminated then there could be a reflection of yourself that your concious mind doesn't see because of other patterns.

...is the shower tiled or lined with a semi reflective material like metal or perspex?

'Fraid not, Intaglio. The entire bathroom is tiled in that horrible dull reflectionless stuff. Mind you, I HAVE caught myself out like that a few times. What I thought was something glaring at me from the corner of my eye turned out to be a reflection of myself. Felt a right twit for being so spooked. :cross eye

As a child I had to get back in bed before the toilet stopped flushing. But the worst thing was opening the bathroom door. The bathroom was at the end of the landing so when the door opened you could see the lenghth of the landing. Now the problem with this was the ghost who stood halfway down the landing at the top of the stairs. I'd seen her a couple of times (really!). And i was terrified that she was going to be there when I opened the door and I would have to walk past her to get back to my room. So I used to leave the door slightly ajar. The door hinge was right by the loo and all the time i was peeing I would look through the gap. The good thing was that the landing light (no plane jokes please) was always left on all night so at least I didn't have to turn the light off.

Back