• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

W e i r d s t u f f

A

Anonymous

Hey all,

I've heard some weird stuff in my day and need to hear more. This is call for the weirdest most unusual thing you've ever heard or experienced. I'm not limiting these tales of the oddly strange to any catagory so please write on any subject.

I'll start.

My uncle decided one day to change his attitude and being a strong beleiver in the philosophy, " The clothes make the man" He changed from his normal atire (plaid flannel shirt, khakis, wingtips) to wearing only a black mess tank top. Let me tell you, It changed his life dramatically. He now runs around the woods near his town only coming out to attack a tourist or to get some cigerettes.

ok thats not real, or is it ??!?

you turn, don't be shy,

There's a house nearby where I live which gives me the creepiest feeling, irrespective of what time I go past there. I'm way too creeped out to hang around for any longer than about 5 seconds at a time, tho. What I must admit is the creepiest aspect of the whole place, tho, is that at night, only one light is EVER on, every night, the same room. I've tried passing by at weird hours to see if any other ligt is ever on. No such luck. One day I had the "luck" to pass by during the day when the curtains in said room were actually open... the room was empty. If that isn't way creepy enough, the house gets sold on a very regular basis. In the 3 years I've been living in this area, that house has been sold more than 10 times... That's about once every 3 1/2 months.

Well, my experience was mid July 1999 and it was 3.30 in the morning and it was a Saturday. To explain, we live in a pretty remote part of North Wales (Isn't it always?!) - Moorland and Forests surrounding the house at a distance of about half a mile with pasture in-between. At the time I shared the house with my brother and his girlfriend.

All of a sudden I was woken up by this shocking screaming. It was genuinely so horrifying I was unable to move, but as I was certain someone was being murdered, I bit the bullet and started to go outside. The way the house is built with one bedroom on one side and another at the other, we converged outside, where the screaming was coming from all around us, from the air, the ground, everywhere.

It is strange to write down what I was hearing, it was a sort of howling/screaming/shrieking that seemed to come from everywhere but at the same time, just next to our ears, similar to if someone leans over your shoulder and whispers something in your ear you get a feeling of someone's presence being close to you. There was also a buffeting of warm moist soft air all around us too, that seemed to contain 'hard' pockets of louder noise that sounded as though they swooped past us.

Needless to say, after being almost mesmerised, we looked at each other and ran inside scared sh**less, locking the door (believe it or not, as I'm typing this I'm scared) behind us, the screaming continued for 8 minutes when it just *stopped*.

My brother and I somehow managed to make it back outside after about 15 mins, when my brother with his shotgun and myself with a high power torch, searched the surrounding farmland but found nothing untoward (although we didn't exactly know what we were looking for really). None of us could get back to sleep, and for several days subsequently, we suffered from bad dreams.

None of us had any idea wtf happened that night, and although we did talk about it for a week or so after it happened, through some sort of unspoken, mutual agreement, have never spoken about it since. My brother and I have lived in this area our entire life, and we know of local species that can make creepy noises such as foxes mating, sheep dying (worse than it sounds) and strange Owl calls, I certainly feel this wasn't something made from nature, the awful noise, the crazy wind, the feeling of pure terror, and the fact that three of us, saw/heard/felt the same thing. I am at a loss to explain it, to sound corny it just felt evil.

Nothing like it has happened since either, and although I was only 22 yrs old when it happened, I can honestly say I doubt I'll ever be so frightened in my life and I sincerely hope so too; I wouldn't wish what the three of us went through on my worst enemy.

I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences, if so are there any similarities, and what do you think it was?

Well, you've nicely unnerved me there, Schnor. Thanks for that.

If I had to offer a guess; well, it could have been some kind of ultrasound effect. Obivously, ultrasound is normally inaudible to humans, but I know that some sonic frequencies can cause feelings of overpowering terror. The oddest thing is the warm air that you describe; I wonder if this is connected to some kind of sonic phenomena? Any physicists out there care to lend us a hand?

Did the house have any history of odd incidents?

Alternatively, you could just have witnessed the Cosmic Joker stubbing its toe.

wowee! thats a rough thing to go through man. Sounds like something really messed up happened there corresponding to a paticular date. Scary!!!!.!!

Hmm, I've never really thought about infra/ultrasound before, and would always tend to believe in the more 'mundane' of explanations.

Speaking rationally, I suppose the wind could be explained by the fact that it was a pretty hot night, and that some sort of mini-twister or something could have hit, as the area is a "[" shape that could (although never before or since) collect the wind in a particular way.

The house itself is new (late 80's) built from an old summer cottage, so unfortunately I cant really say much about the long-term history of anything Fortean, but like the wind, nothing strange has happened the 10 or so years before, and the few years since (Although recently, and without fail, I keep on tripping over the doorstep near where it happened :rolleyes: ).

Could the inaudible frequencies also be responsible for the humming noise mentioned in another topic? Could it be related to the experiments (sorry, I've forgotten the name for them :p) that involve half ping-pong balls placed on the eyes in a sound-proof room; where subjects report panic, a feeling of a 'presence' in the room, and sometimes feel like they've been touched - some sort of electrical effect?

I'm just very curious about what we encountered, and was just so extremely unpleasant, that as a rational person (and Fortean for several years), I feel a little foolish for still being so scared, and in believing it was something paranormal, and not some strange combination of environmental factors.

Having though about it though, I prefer the "Cosmic Joker stubbing its toe" explanation :D, and I'm sorry for freaking you out Dan :eek:

I used to experience this one quite often when I lived in cities - first in London and then later in Paris:

Walking down a street I'd momentarily think I'd spotted someone I knew - but it wasn't them infact. Moments later I'd run into the person I'd originally thought I'd seen or had been reminded of.

With people I shouldn't normally have expected to have run into was what made it interesting.

Whoa,
i get this too. It's the weirdest thing. What makes it interesting (to me) and more intriguing than the deja vu i sometimes get is that in between thinking i recognise someone i actually have time to think "i bet i'll see so-and-so now". With deja vu events only ever seem familiar without being able to actually know whats coming next.
i guess the explanation is that if you like to keep an eye out for people in the street then you will through the course of a day see lots of lookylikes and eventually you will then keep a good lookout for the person you thought you saw, increasing the likelihood that you actually will see them (compared to a normal day)

I have strange deja vu experiences too, altho (for some really ODD reason) they have a lot to do with the radio. I'm able to predict, with remarkable accuracy, what songs will play. Of course, I can't do this ALL the time, but when I do, the song invariably plays within the next 10 minutes. The odd thing about it, is that I seem to remember the song being played in the future, if that makes any kind of weird sense to you. :rolleyes:

Second thing: I had a strange experience in a shopping mall where I used to work for a bookshop. the mall was built upon the graveyard and building site of an old cloister. (Already you think...uh-oh!! Recipe for trouble!!) Anyhow, the event that happened was so weird it almost seems ludicrous now that I think of it, and yet it scared the yowzers out of me the night it happened.
I was working the evening shift there, and I had to make use of the bathrooms. The bookshop didn't have it's own bathroom attached, so we made use of the public bathrooms. Anyhow, as I was washing my hands I heard the door open, and naturally I looked up in the mirror to see who it was. Nobody entered, so I assumed that whomever it was didn't need to use the bathroom as urgently as they thought they did. However, next minute, one of the doors to the stalls slams shut with a bang!, and I hear the sounds of urinating...
Why a ghost needs to pee is WAY beyond me, but I don't question these things!! ;)

A quick list:
various spooktastic experiences while living in one house,
seeing myself walk past while i was looking out of the window of another house,
creeping shadows in yet another house,
weird night-time shreiking in the vicinity of this same house,
attempted possesion while astral projecting shortly after moving into my current residence,
a 'self'-operating light switch and more creeping shadows in this last abode (the light switch thing being just 3 days ago).

there's a few. maybe i should give up on houses and live in a tent.

:)

If you see blood running out of the taps instead of water, I suggest you move post haste... unless you go for that sort of thing, of course.

Fayyaad said:
If you see blood running out of the taps instead of water, I suggest you move post haste... unless you go for that sort of thing, of course.

I wouldn't miss it for the world.

LOL!!

i forget what this thread is about is it just weird storyies?? if so heres one.

in my old house, we had this basement, and stairs going down to it, now in my room, closest to the stairs you could always hear when someone was comming up the stairs, for the reason that the top steps were hollow wood, so you could here their footsteps, now with that in mind. sometimes i would hear footsteps going up the stairs every once in a whlie and firgure they were my mom, until one morning when we met out in the living room both thinking that the foosteps we heard were eachother. i had never know that she had heard them all the time. her room is furthes away from the stairs and it supprised me when she said she could hear footsteps up the stairs every once in a whlie. some mornings i remember wakeing up home alone (my mom had gone to work) and just laying there, and i'd sometimes here them. at first i thought it might be a pipe of some sort banging around down there, but it sounded too much like someone going op the stairs, it had normal foot beat rythm and stuff. well we moved out and we never solved the mystery. but it did exist. and it wasn't me or my mom and no one else lives in our house so i dunno. i'm sure there is prob some resonable explanation.

Lol...Rats with big boots....hehehehe

But I know the kind of thing that Josh is talking about... In my old family home there's a set of wooden stairs at the back of the house, and as children, myself and a few cousins would play in the room at the top of those stairs. We never thought anything of the fact that we always heard people going up the stairs...and heard people going down the stairs...we just never saw any people... I've been back at the house recently and the noises are still there...;)

Fayyaad said:
TWhat I must admit is the creepiest aspect of the whole place, tho, is that at night, only one light is EVER on, every night, the same room. . . One day I had the "luck" to pass by during the day when the curtains in said room were actually open... the room was empty. . .

Maybe the house owners work abroad and have one of those timer lights turned on . . . but that wouldn't explain the number of times it's been sold, would it?

Carole

I started to wonder about a similar house near me (for sale as long as I can remember). Turns out it really was just a timer light, which didn't fool the burglars who broke in and stole the antique fireplaces.

Originally posted by barndad
Whoa,
i get this too. It's the weirdest thing.

I get that sometimes too, it's either in the form of the 'think you see someone you know and then the real person turns up a few minutes later' thing or familiar sounds associated with a particular person .... For example when I'm expecting my other half home from work I'll hear something like the key in the lock or funny sound his car makes on the drive and look to find there's no one there.... Only to find that the same sounds are repeated a few minutes later when the person actually arrives...

i read about this phenomenon a few years ago in FT apparently the scandanavians have a particular term for this (it's part of thier mythology I think), but I can't remember what it's called.

Does any one else remember this ? :confused:

People you haven't seen for years

Alright, this isn't spooky like footsteps on the stairs or seeing yourself walking down the street, but sometimes sheer chance can lead to that goosebumps thing.

A few years back, on the eve of the summer solstice I went to Silbury Hill in Somerset with two friends on a whim. Our aim - to greet the sunrise on the longest day and blow the cobwebs away. Quite a spectacular experience in the right conditions and hundreds of people were gathered there when we arrived about an hour before the sun came up. People banged drums and blew horns as the sun rose and we all sat in quiet reverence.

Anyway - we began to talk about days gone by and got all sentimental about our collective youth. Someone said - oh do you remember so and so and described a quite unusual friend that we had all lost contact with about five years previously, when we had all lived in Newcastle (we now all live in the South).

As she spoke, I turned around and there was the same person, sitting only five feet from us! Not too unusual unless you consider that this particular person had spent the previous three years living in a bus in some remote part of Scotland and that this had been his first journey south of the border since we had last seen him and etc etc etc...

Of course, we haven't seen him since!

Screams in the night....

......All of a sudden I was woken up by this shocking screaming. It was genuinely so horrifying I was unable to move, but as I was certain someone was being murdered, I bit the bullet and started to go outside. The way the house is built with one bedroom on one side and another at the other, we converged outside, where the screaming was coming from all around us, from the air, the ground, everywhere....

In reply to schnor's post, while genuinely scary, your experience sounds a lot like a night time encounter with a badger. Not having experienced this myself, I am reliably informed that badgers are capable of producing sounds spookily like a woman being murdered...? If anyone has experienced similar, and can verify this, I'd be most interested to hear!
Whether our furry friends are at the root of this, I wouldn't want to guess, particularly given the length of time that the noise lasted. Nonetheless, perhaps a badger-related explanation might help to rationalise a truely frightening episode, and that must be a good thing, I'd say.
The absence of late night inexplicable noise - drunken strangers staggering home from the kebab shop exepted...- is one (of the few) reasons I am grateful to live out of 'the sticks'!
;)

barndad said:
What makes it interesting (to me) and more intriguing than the deja vu i sometimes get is that in between thinking i recognise someone i actually have time to think "i bet i'll see so-and-so now". With deja vu events only ever seem familiar without being able to actually know whats coming next.

I believe this is called presque-vu, where you experience deja-vu but with the added clarity of what is coming next. It seems quite a popular thing, although not as popular as deja-vu.

I have had particular experiences with after having deja-vu of being somewhere with someone, I can then 'remember' what they are going to say next, what car will go past etc etc

Funny thing tho, when this happens I feel quite bored of the conversation, almost as if I really have had the conversation before.

I always wondered what happened with the incident I call "the lady on the bus". I used to commute on the city bus, a longish distance that took about an hour one way. At the time I was very into needlepoint, and would stitch away, spending the whole hour on my project. It also meant I didn't have to speak with some of the stranger characters on the bus.

One morning, an elderly woman sat down in the seat next to me. She started talking to me, saying that she used to do needlepoint but that her arthritis prevented her from it now. She had an accent, so I asked where she was from, and she said she had been born and grew up most of her life in Canada, and came to the US when she married. We talked for most of the hour. She said good-bye when I exited the bus, and I didn't think anything of it.

But a few days later, the driver said to me: "I guess you were having a bad morning the other morning, huh?" And I said "What do you mean?" And he replied that he noticed that although I normally just work on my needlework, "the other morning you were talking to yourself the whole trip. I was wondering if you were okay. But you didn't look upset, so I didn't say anything".
I told him, I never talk to myself, not out loud certainly, and the only time I really even spoke on the bus was when I was talking to that old woman, this past Tuesday. He looked at me really strange and said "Tuesday was the day you were talking to yourself. I watched you most of the trip because I never see you act up like some of the passengers do; I was worried".

At first I thought, he just didn't see her. But when I got off the bus, I looked in the mirrors near the driver. He could have easily seen the seat I was sitting in but even more visible was the seat the old lady had sat in. I asked again, didn't you see the woman I was talking to? Old, grey haired, wore a coat even though it's been warm? No, there was no one sitting next to me, according to the driver.

I thought he was joking, but to say I was talking to myself was a pretty strange joke to make. Since then I have wondered who was right and who was wrong, or was it just a case of who can see and who can't?

Boy--what a great story, Fallen. Thanks!

That sounds like a textbook spook interaction. I love it.

Last summer a friend and I were having a quick lunch in a deserted Oirish pub on Finchley Road in North London.

Nature called, so I went down to the ladies' in the basement (also deserted); it was your average pub toilet, quite clean and brightly lit; square in shape with a mirror and three basins running the length of one wall, and three cubicles along the other wall. Plus a heavy, squeaky door.

So I entered the middle cubicle, closed the door and began my.. business. After a few seconds I heard -- quite clearly -- the sound of someone breathing in the cubicle to my right. Unnerved, but assuming someone had come in without my hearing, I finished up and left my cubicle to wash my hands -- only to find all three cubicle doors wide open and the room as empty as it had been when I entered.

Now I was a *little* uncomfortable, but told myself it was something to do with the plumbing, or a vent from the kitchen, or my imagination. I set to washing my hands, which is when I heard it *again* -- a steady, regular breathing sound, quite loud, coming from the middle of an empty, brightly-lit cubicle.

I thought about venturing *into* the cubicle to investigate, but at that point there was a slight pause in the breathing (as if it were about to speak, or clear its throat) at which point I lost my nerve and left without drying my hands!

[Worth noting I regularly experience "presque vu" myself but ironically have a terrible memory, so it's entirely likely that I've posted this story elsewhere on this forum..!]

Was the toilet below street level? Could sound have filtered down from the street? I remember scaring the bejesus outta people in Sydney, from a pub bathroom that was below the street, but with vents in the pavement. You could start talking to ( or join in a conversation of) people on the street, waiting at the lights and they didn't have a clue where you were. It was amazing how far the sound carried.

Orbyn said:
Last summer a friend and I were having a quick lunch in a deserted Oirish pub on Finchley Road in North London.

Nature called, so I went down to the ladies' in the basement (also deserted); it was your average pub toilet, quite clean and brightly lit; square in shape with a mirror and three basins running the length of one wall, and three cubicles along the other wall. Plus a heavy, squeaky door.

So I entered the middle cubicle, closed the door and began my.. business. After a few seconds I heard -- quite clearly -- the sound of someone breathing in the cubicle to my right. Unnerved, but assuming someone had come in without my hearing, I finished up and left my cubicle to wash my hands -- only to find all three cubicle doors wide open and the room as empty as it had been when I entered.

Now I was a *little* uncomfortable, but told myself it was something to do with the plumbing, or a vent from the kitchen, or my imagination. I set to washing my hands, which is when I heard it *again* -- a steady, regular breathing sound, quite loud, coming from the middle of an empty, brightly-lit cubicle.

I thought about venturing *into* the cubicle to investigate, but at that point there was a slight pause in the breathing (as if it were about to speak, or clear its throat) at which point I lost my nerve and left without drying my hands!

[Worth noting I regularly experience "presque vu" myself but ironically have a terrible memory, so it's entirely likely that I've posted this story elsewhere on this forum..!]

I find this highly freaky, because I had a similar experience in a public toilet. I used to work at a bookshop in a mall a couple of years back, and this job entailed a few stints of the night shift. The mall itself was kinda quiet in the evenings, so the job was quite pleasant. I paid a visit to the loos on one of these evenings (I don't like using the urinals...stagefright) and was standing in the stall and I heard the door to the toilets open, and then shut. I finished my business and exited the stall to notice that no one was in the room, so naturally I assumed that whoever came in had decided that they didn't need to loo as urgently as all that and had left. Soo...I got to washing my hands, and the door to the stall that I was in banged shut and locked itself. That was freaky enough... and then I heard the sound of urinating coming from that stall, and at that point I scarpered. :eek!!!!: Needless to say, I tended to use the loos on the other end of the mall instead after that.

siriuss said:
Was the toilet below street level? Could sound have filtered down from the street

Finchley Road is a busyish thoroughfare and I think if any noise had been filtered down there would have been the background trumpeting of car horns, etc. It was a very quiet toilet in a deserted pub in the middle of the day -- there wasn't even any "pub noise" from upstairs.

All you could hear was the steady hum of the neon strip lighting and the quiet puff of air from the air vent (which was way on the other side of the room from the cubicles), oh, and the breathing.

My money's on an invisible person caught mid-wee.

Or there are invisible people haunting toilets all over the world. Wow, what a life (or death?)

Can't see many people rushing to prove or disprove something like this, either - who'd want to spend hours staking out a public convenience.

Back