• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

W. Raymond Drake

Reverend D

Vague Apparition
Just realised yesterday that there is no thread on the forum about W.Raymond Drake - a writer who wrote books on what is now called Ancient Aliens, and who actually predates Erich von Daniken on the topic.

I discovered him in the late 80s in a second-hand bookshop where I had bought a copy of Chariots of the Gods - I went back to look for more Daniken books, and although I didn't find any, found Drake's Gods and Spacemen in the Ancient West. Always really enjoyed the books of his that I've read, he had a less hysterical style than Daniken and was obviously a man who done huge amounts of research.

Howard Hughes, the podcaster and radio host, corresponded with Drake, I believe, and speaks warmly of him on one of his podcasts.

Nice article and pictures here about Drake's library, which was donated to the Charles Fort institute after his death.

I believe that W.RD passed away during a football game at Roker Park, watching his team, Sunderland.

Wikipedia article on W.RD

If anyone has any thoughts on his books, work, research or anything at all to add, please do so!

Last edited:
While I do think folks like Tsoukalos and Childress and the lot are completely delusional and often disingenuous, and that many ancient aliens believers are in the same boat with Scott Waring and others, and they do great damage to archaeology, UFOlogy, science, and general level of education of the public, I very much suspect that these devices have been here for a long time, and may have interacted more with ancient folks, extrapolating back in time. You can see a change in strategy and tactics of ongoing contact over time with the phenomenon going forward with known accounts. If I had been an ancient on May 14, 2010: As Akhenaten I would build Akhetaten there; as a Gnostic, I would have been convinced that Archons or angels had revealed themselves to me. Etc. Etc. It is along the lines of:
https://www.rand.org/pubs/drafts/DRU1571.html

Just realised yesterday that there is no thread on the forum about W.Raymond Drake - a writer who wrote books on what is now called Ancient Aliens, and who actually predates Erich von Daniken on the topic.

I discovered him in the late 80s in a second-hand bookshop where I had bought a copy of Chariots of the Gods - I went back to look for more Daniken books, and although I didn't find any, found Drake's Gods and Spacemen in the Ancient West. Always really enjoyed the books of his that I've read, he had a less hysterical style than Daniken and was obviously a man who done huge amounts of research.

Howard Hughes, the podcaster and radio host, corresponded with Drake, I believe, and speaks warmly of him on one of his podcasts.

Nice article and pictures here about Drake's library, which was donated to the Charles Fort institute after his death.

I believe that W.RD passed away during a football game at Roker Park, watching his team, Sunderland.

If anyone has any thoughts on his books, work, research or anything at all to add, please do so!
Minor amendment. The W Raymond Drake library was donated to Sunderland library services and they eventually were going to throw them away when the Charles Fort Institute stepped in and Sunderland passed them on.

That is a great article with good links, too! Very interesting.

Back