• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Waking Up In The Night And Can't Breathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Sorry if this unusual,

Okay, the explanation for this may be more medical than paranormal but I have never read of anything like it.

Last night I went to bed (after a few beers) at 11pm as normal.

During the night I suddenly woke up (2am approx) and I could not breathe.

I stumbled up vertical and tried to breathe as hard as possible and after about 10 seconds I started breathing again. By this I mean I tried to breathe in and out and nothing happened.

This is the third time in 18 months this has happened.

On one occasion I had drank water before I went to bed and a bit went down the wrong way. But nothing strange the other two.

Any ideas?

Chris

Just for the record, I have experienced sleep paralysis on rare occasions (once every few years) where I feel awake and can see but can't move.

I agree with Mytho - see the doctor!

Only once have i had this, I woke up in a panic, couldnt breathe, i jumped up and was stood on my bed gasping for breath when i suddenly took one, then i was breathing normally, i believe it was acid reflux even tho i had no burning in my throat
Go see the doctor dear, to be on the safe side

I wouldn't say you NEED to see a doctor.
Here's some tips that should solve your issue:

1 - don't drink or eat anything after 10pm
2 - sleep on your left side

I've had this happen a few times myself (it's not related to sleep paralysis BTW which I'm an expert at now). It's a terrifying thing to happen and really does feel like you're going to die. As far as I remember (from past Googling) it's basically just acid reflux causing you to choke.
If you're stomach doesn't have so much in it, and you lie on your left side to go to sleep it all helps the digestion and you should be fine.
I've followed those tips (or tried to!) and not had it happen for ages.

Sounds very like sleep apnea.

I was monitored overnight for this condition recently, as I get this distressing condition maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Typically I stop breathing and wake up believing that I have swallowed an object obstructing my windpipe. It takes several seconds for reality to kick in and for me to be able to breath normally again.
In severe cases they recommend surgery to increase the airways. My case was deemed not sufficiently severe for that thankfully.

Another possibility is a chronic pertussis (whooping cough) . My son caught that when still at school and the symptoms feel like you can breathe in but not out. Quite scary.

Go see your doctor who may well book you in at your local sleep apnea clinic.

Sorry if this unusual,

Okay, the explanation for this may be more medical than paranormal but I have never read of anything like it.

Last night I went to bed (after a few beers) at 11pm as normal.

During the night I suddenly woke up (2am approx) and I could not breathe.

I stumbled up vertical and tried to breathe as hard as possible and after about 10 seconds I started breathing again. By this I mean I tried to breathe in and out and nothing happened.

This is the third time in 18 months this has happened.

On one occasion I had drank water before I went to bed and a bit went down the wrong way. But nothing strange the other two.

Any ideas?

Chris
I agree with everyone else that you need to see your doctor who'll refer you if he/she thinks it's needed .. I had the same thing happen to me during my last inpatient hospital stay .. I was asleep and then suddenly woke up because I couldn't breath .. a nurse darted over and told me to sit up and the patient in the bed next to me (RIP Steve) told me to start belching and that worked, my breathing pattern returned to normal .. this is only a short term instant solution while your getting proper tests done Chris ..

Medical advice is off limits.
Sorry, but I have to lock the thread.

If the OP believes this to be a Fortean and non-medical incident, I'll happily re-open it if he messsges me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back