• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Walking Into Walls

J

jacksondavies19

Im not entirely sure if this is the best place to put this, but its happening to me. Its not excessively supernatural, I was just wondering if there was a possible scientific reason for it.

Basically I keep noticing that I walk into walls, a lot. Not straight into them head on, but if I get up from a seated position, or am walking anywhere, i seem to just go off balance and end up bumping into the wall. This happens when i am completely sober, as well as drunk (but theres obviously a reason for it, in that case) and its even getting pointed out to me that i do it by friends and colleagues. Ive done it about three times today, and thats whilst working on my computer from home. Is there anything in balance in the brain that could be confusing me? maybe i need to get my ears checked....

i think it's a neurological problem and i think it might be called dysmetria. i suffer from that a lot. last year (or was it two?) i had a close encounter with a pole (you know those poles on the sidewalk that carry signs) while walking. i basically broke my nose.

Do it ocasionally myself, things like catching my shoulder on a door frame as I pass. I just put it down to me being a clumsy eejit and mebbe in too much of a rush :roll:

Something could be wrong with your inner ear, maybe just an infection. Go to your doctor!!

Happens to me all the time; I think I'm just spazzy. (there are some cracking athletic genes in my family; I didn't get that particular set)

Gemaki said:
Something could be wrong with your inner ear, maybe just an infection. Go to your doctor!!
yep, that is the most logical and simple explanation. i'd say go to an ear nose throat doc and see if your ears are ok

What about blood rushing to the head because of getting up too quickly? That could make you dizzy :idea:

hmm

I thought about dizziness, but i never feel dizzy when it happens. To be honest its such a poor IHTM, i feel kind of embarassed talking about it. Its just one of those things i suppose. I was using a desktop computer, by the way, not a laptop....why, would that have an effect?
A friend remarked to me last night that it could be that im off balance ( I broke my left arm when i was younger, and now its about 7 inches shorter than my right). Oh well! Thanks for your replies

I think we'd have about the same neurological problem... :p Sometimes when I walk, I tend to bump my shoulders into corners of walls or the frames of a doorway even though there's ample room to pass through, coordination problem or whatnot, perhaps all you need it just to pay a bit more attention to where you're going?

By the way, I mostly tend to bump into stuff that's painted in white, pillars and corners are most common, and almost all are while during indoors... Had a friend who had a nasty cut on his head from bumping into the zinc edge of a low billboard...

Back