• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Walt Disney Urban Legends

Although I never got the name of the Saturn woman, I have told this story to people who have dealt with Disney, and they confirmed the acquisition of rights throughout the solar system!

There's a reason for the warning: "Don't mess with the Mouse!"

I know a gentleman who around 35 years ago published a work on the biographies of various Disney characters, all the information based on Disney films and comic books, and as a result found himself sued by the Disney Studios.

Disney lost.

The judge ruled that he could find two different ways:

1. That Disney art was a genuinely valuable world-class product. In that case, the defendant's work was perfectly legitimate artistic commentary and critique.

2. Or he could rule instead that the Disney product was just fluffy stuff without any great value. In that case, he'd award Disney one dollar in damages.

Disney withdrew.

PeniG said:
Although I never got the name of the Saturn woman, I have told this story to people who have dealt with Disney, and they confirmed the acquisition of rights throughout the solar system!

There's a reason for the warning: "Don't mess with the Mouse!"

Is there a Disneyland Titan, perhaps? Or a genuine Disneyworld the size of a planet? A Disneyland Death Star, anyone?

PeniG said:
I think that's quite common. I was once on some education program (with my whole class) on Channel 4, and that was in the contract. I asked about it (who wouldn't?!) and they said it was standard.

ArthurASCII said:
There is a story that Disney employees used to refer to their workplace as "Mausewitz" until an edict from senior management told them to cease and desist. They then started calling it "Duckau". 8)

Don't know offhand if that's the origin for the name, but it *is* true that one Disney ex-employee site dedicated to unmasking Disney business practices is titled:

http://duckau.com/

The 'Mausewitz' story was apparently cited at this now-defunct blog page:

http://theperiscope.blogs.com/the_peris ... ewitz.html

The Google-cached page has the following entry for it:

Friday, August 06, 2004

Mausewitz

Heh, heh heh, aah'm tekin' over...

I heard an amusing joke today, though perhaps it won't be appreciated by everybody. Apparently staff at Eurodisney had taken to referring to their place of employment as Mausewitz (for all you Americans out there, this is a pun on the words Mouse and Auschwitz. By the way, I've been informed by a reliable source that you can buy 'I love Oswiecim' t-shirts). Anyway, the management cottoned onto this, realised the threat of bad PR and sent out a memo commanding that all such punning vilification should cease forthwith.

So now, Eurodisney is known to its employees as Duckau.

What is the meaning of this I wonder?

1. You have to laugh at every atrocity eventually (what else can you do?)
2. It's healthy and commendable to subvert Disneyfication and mass consumer culture (especially if you're on the inside)
3. Er, not sure what other meanings can be attributed to this

It made me laugh anyway.

Friday, August 06, 2004 at 05:12 PM in Western Europe

After all these years I've finally got it - that's why the UFOnauts are here. They're interstellar literary pirates!

But don't worry - Disney's on to 'em.

The only contracts with which I'm familiar are real estate and American literary (short story and book) contracts. If acquisition of rights throughout the solar system is common in other fields, that could explain why Disney does it, but my literary contracts have all dealt with American, world, or English-language rights and I don't know anyone dealing with anyone other than Disney who's been asked to sign away extraterrestrial rights. In the context of the industry, it's absurd.

Forward thinking, though. Twenty years ago a clause about media that hadn't been invented yet would have seemed silly, but the mess over electronic rights (publishers tend to blithely assume that if they bought first print rights they bought first electronic rights; authors assume nothing of the sort and the law backs us) would have been much more straightforward for any company that included such a clause.

i got and add today offering me a a mobile phone contract from disney... disneymobile. :roll:

PeniG said:
Because of this poster, I had remembered Wood as the defendent in a case in which Disney prosecuted the writer/artist of a comic story in which Mickey's nephews were actually his illegitimate children by Minnie. They were not getting married for professional reasons, and the boys took drastic action to blow the scandal and force their parents to marry.

Did mickey have nephews? thought that was donald duck, or did they both have nephews?

If it was Hewy, Dewey and Louie though that makes the story even better though :shock:

Mortimer was Walt Disney's original name for Mickey and Walt often referred to him by this name even in far later years. Thus some have suggested that Mickey's full name is either Mortimer Michael Mouse or Michael Mortimer Mouse.

I think this explains why one of Mickey's nephews was given the name Morty. EDIT - And if I remember correctly the nephews call Mickey "Uncle Mort."

Donald Duck's nephews were the sons of his brother, who was lost in the Indian Ocean in 1935. (O! The labyrinths of the Fortean mind!)

As a very young child I believed that Mickey Mouse's nephews were the sons of Daisy and Donald Duck while Donald's nephews were the sons of Mickey and Minnie.

This goes a long way towards explaining why genetics has never been my strong suit.

'One of the 20th century's great artists'
Avant-garde, surreal, gothic - who would have thought cartoonist Walt Disney had such a dark side? By Jonathan Jones

Jonathan Jones
Thursday November 9, 2006

Guardian

Walt Disney warped my mind. It was the first time I visited a cinema, to see Sleeping Beauty. That forest of thorns enveloping the castle has haunted me ever since; in my dreams for years, a great chasm opened up before the prince, an impossible yawning space full of spikes and twisting briars. Last night, I watched it with my daughter. What will it become in her mind? It felt like passing on a folk tale by the fire, and yet some people are wary of exposing their children to the genius of Disney.
I don't need to labour the vilification of the man, who died 40 years ago this Christmas. No other artist's signature appears on the products of an industry that is the cultural equivalent of Coca-Cola or McDonald's, and to many people, buying a toy Pinocchio is as bad as feeding your child burgers. Marc Eliot's 1993 biography branded Disney an FBI informant union-basher, and hints at worse. In a classic episode of The Simpsons broadcast shortly after Eliot's book came out, Bart and Lisa watch a corporate propaganda film at Itchy and Scratchy Land that says animation pioneer Roger Meyers Sr "loved almost all the peoples of the world" - an apparent swipe at Disney's alleged anti-semitism. Hating Disney has become a cliche. A few months ago, the over-rated guerrilla artist Banksy left a figure of a Guantanamo prisoner at Disneyland - where else? - as if Walt, who died in 1966, was directing the war on terror from his cryogenic vault.

When a long dead cartoonist and film-maker is reviled for the crimes of the present administration, something is out of whack. Walt Disney was one of the great American artists of the 20th century. This needs to be recognised. So here I am, Walt, coming to the rescue, aided by an exhibition at the Grand Palais in Paris that celebrates Disney's films as visual art.

Yes, I know: to call Walt Disney a great artist begs a couple of questions. Even his authorship of the mouse he drew in 1928 in his career-making cartoon, Steamboat Willie, has been questioned. As soon as Disney started making money, he hired teams of designers and animators. Obviously he wasn't Nick Park, doing it all himself. He never claimed to be. He was a modern artist, an American artist - and far from ignorant about the avant-garde. Salvador Dali's original paintings for an unfinished collaboration with Disney, a film called Destino, are on view at the Grand Palais. They point to a film that would have been as remarkable a meeting of Hollywood and the avant-garde as Dali's sequence in Hitchcock's Spellbound.

This is not in the least surprising. Disney's films abound in stupendously imaginative metamorphoses, sublime fantasies to rival any surrealist painting. Disney anticipated - and surely influenced - Andy Warhol in turning his studio into a collective enterprise, a factory. He ruled over his cartoonists with an iron fist. Yet when it comes to authorship, the analogies with Warhol, or Marcel Duchamp, are not really necessary. You only have to watch a few Disney films, widely separated across the decades of his career, to recognise the consistent obsessions that can only have been the product of one man's mind.

In 1929, only a year after Steamboat Willie made Mickey Mouse a star, Disney created a cartoon that could not be more different. Skeleton Dance is American, deeply so, in the vein of Washington Irving and Edgar Allan Poe - a jazz-age honk of American gothic that brilliantly uses black and white silhouettes to create an archetypal midnight churchyard where the skeletons get out of their graves and dance. When Tim Burton does this sort of thing, it's hailed as a gothic subversion of the homeliness of Disney, but Disney subverted himself first. When later he came to make Fantasia, the skeleton dance was echoed in the march of the mops carrying their buckets of water until Mickey chops, chops, chops them up.

Walt Disney's imagination is macabre, as well as delighting in innocence. You could even say that far, from providing generations of children with innocent escape, he filled their minds with darkness - which somehow, in the hands of critics, becomes a fault. In fact, it proves that, beneath the all-American facade, Walt Disney had a terrible secret: he was a true artist.

What strikes you, looking at his films, is not simply the consistent thread of ideas and images and ways of telling a story, but the unexpected nature of this personal style. It's not the routine comic stuff, the escapades of Donald and Mickey, that is inimitable hardcore Disney. Few people find Donald Duck as funny as Bugs Bunny. Disney wasn't a humourist. Again and again, it is the dark side of the Disney landscape that you know him by, from the early black and white Egyptian Melodies, in which a spider crawls down a highly realistic tomb shaft beneath the Sphinx to be terrified by the spectacle of mummies having a midnight party, to the skull-shaped island, inspired by King Kong, in Peter Pan.

Disney's supreme achievement was to give visual reality to the fairytales of the Europe that Americans growing up in the 1930s and 40s no longer knew, as their immigrant parents had. Of course, we can buy the original transcripts of peasant tales by the Grimms or Charles Perrault, or read retellings by Angela Carter. Yet Disney reached into folklore, grasped its essentials, and represented it for the modern child. When it comes to Snow White, can anyone separate the folk story from Disney's version?

Here we come to the one accusation, the one dilemma that really counts. Is Disney good or bad for children? Do the studio's versions of classic stories do them justice? An adult fan of the fairytale might sit down and watch Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella and be appalled by the interpolated characters and dated graphic styles, and see in all this Disney's true crime, the cosying - indeed the "Disneyfication" - of traditional stories.

One answer is:watch with a child, see the wonder on a little face. But sadly, kids like the Tweenies, too. What do they know? However, watch more closely, watch the films as art, and surely the truth becomes obvious. Disney changed the letter of the fairytale but saved its spirit. The forest of thorns that scared and amazed me in Sleeping Beauty is one version of the encounter with evil, death and terror that is at the heart of all his fairytale films, once the viewer has been lured in by the sugar candy coating. The nightmare spirit of the fairytale that psychologist Bruno Bettelheim defended is all there.

What Disney actually achieved was not to diffuse an American banality worldwide but, in a world that was becoming ever more banal and forgetful, to preserve the old oral storytelling of the pre-industrial world. Few artists have done as much as Disney to humanise modernity; the magical proof of this is one of his last films.

If you still subscribe to the cliche of Disney as a propagandist of cosy Americana, consider this. There was one Disney film I didn't intend to mention because I assumed it must have been made by the studio after he died or retired - it seems so remote from everything we "know" about him. In fact, even hostile biographers acknowledge this magical, and totally unAmerican child's-eye vision of London as one of the films on which he lavished most attention, a film he was obsessed with making for 20 years, and turned into his final testament. If you want to know the real Walt Disney, watch Mary Poppins.

· Il Etait une Fois Walt Disney is at the Grand Palais, Paris, until January 15. rmn.fr/galeriesnationalesdugrandpalais

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian News and Media Limited 2006

It's worth noting that TIME Magazine in the 1990s named Walt Disney as one of the 100 most influential individuals of the last millennium.

Hope no one has posted this already elsewhere - apologies if they have and I've duplicated it: Just found it on BBC news website -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6189521.stm

Disney tells Santa clone ho-ho no

Mr Worley said he was told Santa was a Disney character
When James Worley paid a visit to Disney World in Florida his portly frame and white beard soon had kids asking: "Are you Santa Claus?"
Not wanting to disappoint, Mr Worley, 60, played along with some "ho-ho-hos".

But Disney officials descended, telling him to stop the impersonation or get out of the park. They said they wanted to preserve the magic of Santa.

Mr Worley took off his red hat and red shirt but said: "I look this way 24/7, 365 days a year. This is me."

'Confusing'

Even after bowing to the request to alter his appearance, Mr Worley, from Tampa, said children continued to ask if he was Santa.

"How do you tell a little kid, 'No, go away, little kid'," Mr Worley told local television.

He said Disney had told him "Santa was considered a Disney character".

Officials at Disney World's Epcot park said they had had complaints from "several guests who were very upset".

Disney said it had its own Santa at Epcot and Mr Worley was "confusing" the children.

Mr Worley said he had played a jolly elf at charity events for a number of years, while his wife sometimes dressed up as Mrs Claus.

Mr Worley said he still loved Disney and Christmas.

Leaferne said:
If anyone had a claim, it'd be Coca-Cola.

Santa Claus as we know him today, distinct from Father Christmas and Kris Kringle and the jolly elf of the Rev. Clement Moore's poem "The Night Before Christmas," was the artistic creation of Thomas Nast, the famous New York City political cartoonist of the 1870s.

Now if Disney could somehow prove that they're the artistic heirs of Nast, they might have a case....

P. S. Though it was indeed Charlie Sonnenstein whose Coca-Cola Santas on the back covers of magazines really put the shine on the mistletoe berries.

OldTimeRadio said:
Donald Duck's nephews were the sons of his brother, who was lost in the Indian Ocean in 1935. (O! The labyrinths of the Fortean mind!)

Actually it is Donalds twin sister Della Thelma (aka Dumbella) Duck that is Donald's blood relative to H,D & L.

Their father is unknown in cannon but he wasn't lost in the Indian ocean, H,D & L stuck a firework up his bottom which led to them being parceled off to live with their uncle (first Donald and later their great uncle Scrooge while donald was serving in the american navy). H, D & L's father presumably survived the firework insident but the boys never went back to live with their father.

It is also heavilly implied that Donald's nephews inherited the McDuck millions upon Scrooge's death in 1967.

The details that Donald Duck's brother was the father of Huey, Louie and Dewey and that he perished in the Indian Ocean in 1935 were uncovered by Jack Chalker as he researched his classic An Informal Biography of Scrooge McDuck. I learned this from Jack's own lips more than 30 years ago.

So I suspect what we have here is one of those things like "What was Dr. John H. Watson's middle name - Henry or Hamish?"

It all depends upon whom you ask.

P. S. Scrooge McDuck is dead? Has been for forty years? Where have I been?

Jack Chalker as in the chap who wrote The Changewinds?

TheQuixote said:
Jack Chalker as in the chap who wrote The Changewinds?

I'm not familiar with the title, but Jack is a fairly prolific science-fiction novelist.

Sorry for the aside, it's probably the same person then.

OldTimeRadio said:
P. S. Scrooge McDuck is dead? Has been for forty years? Where have I been?

Yes, he is. I was devistated when I found that out, I can tell you.

Carl Bank's Duckberg stories were unavoidedly set between 1877 and 1947 and in the now cannon 'life and times of Scrooge McDuck' by Don Rosa merticulusly based upon Bank's Work Scrooge dies age 100 which is a very long life for a duck.

The Ducktails cartoon was not as rigidly based in a paticular time which is one of the resons Gizmo Duck never made an aperance in the Duck comics, the technology involved in Gizmo Duck's creation would not sit well in 1877-1947 settings of the comics

hd19xx_c.gif

OldTimeRadio said:
Sorry, I don't buy it.

Well it's possible Scrooge McDuck may have faked his death, many millionaires/billionaires and other famous rich people have urban legends about them stating that they have done just that, but it would have been very out of character for Scrooge to have done that.

Especially as H, D & L would have inherited his fortune and Scrooge McDuck would certainly not have given this up willingly, as this video clip from Ducktales demonstrates: http://youtube.com/watch?v=79c5JKjAQFg .

All Scrooge McDuck would have had to do to stay healthy for another century (at least) would have been for him to mix two spoonsful of Disney Dust in a glass of water and drink it.

Besides, Duckburg years and human years simply don't equate. Otherwise, how did Donald manage to serve in the United States Navy at age seven?

Back